? about vitamins/supplements for infant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-04-2006, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a similar thread about this a few months ago, but I can't find it!! Sorry for being repetitive!

My one year old son is a very picky eater and I'd like to give him a daily vitamin. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a natural, quality infant vitamin???
What about synthetic ingredients...do certain vitamins not have these?

Sorry, I'm not very knowlegeable about this at all!

Also, what can I give him for DHA/ARA and any other essential fatty acids? He does not breastfeed and drinks whole milk/ organic whole milk (when I can afford it) in his bottles.

Thanks so much Mamas!!!
#2 of 10 Old 05-04-2006, 11:03 PM

i mix some flax seed oil in dd's sippy cups. she doesnt notice the difference. the body makes dha/ara from omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids. flax seed oil is high in omega 3's, and i think omega 6's are pretty easy to get.
i found "amimal parade" liquid vitamins at the health food store. we just mix them with juice because the liquid has a fruity flavor. the liquid vitamins are relatively new, so they may be harder to find than the chewable ones.
http://www.bizrate.com/oid340660089.html
#3 of 10 Old 05-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Flax oil is high in omega 6's that your body needs to convert to omega 3's-it's much better to get them straight. You need to convert the ALA to DHA which not everyone can do very well. We use high quality CLO. It's high in DHA's, EFA's and omega 3 fatty acids. It also has Vitamin A and D in their natural food based sources-no vitamin will have that.

There are a couple of decent products out there in terms of vitamins but I am strongly against a multi-they just aren't effective. I am much more comfortable giving a green supplement which will be super high in minerals and some vitamins. We use Vitamineral Green, or Perfect Food. I put it in smoothies and have since my kids were quite young. They love it and it's super healthy.

If you're set on a multi I'm sure someone can help you-good luck!
#4 of 10 Old 05-05-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the replies!

What exactly is the difference b/t a multi and a green supplement? Is there a certain brand of CLO that you use (cod liver oil is what CLO stands for I'm assuming). Do you know how much I would give a one year old, he's a tad over twenty lbs I'm guessing. (Not for sure, b/c I chickened out on bringing him to his 1 year well baby b/c I don't know how to approach oru doctor about not vaxing anymore. Which I feel totally neglectant about-not taking him to his checkup. Oops, I'm rambling...that's a whole diff. story!!)
Is there a certain amount of the green supplement that you give daily?

Sorry for all the questions and tia!!
#5 of 10 Old 05-05-2006, 09:26 PM

Hello!

I don't like synthetic vitamins especially the ones that contain iron. They don't absorb properly and throw your whole system off.
If you want supplements, they really should be whole-food based. Something like Juice Plus for example, even though my DH says it's mediocre, but Dr.SEars recommends it. If you are interested you can go to www.askdrsears.com and you will see an ad for it.

This is the example of supplements that my son takes (he is 11mo and about 19 1/2lbs):

1.One teaspoon of Cod Liver Oil (works best with high-vitamin butter of pasture-fed animal). I use Garden of LIfe. However, I would like to ask other moms if it's ok to give lemon-mint flavor to a baby. My dh says mint is detoxing and it's not good. Any thoughts?

2.Probiotic - not necessary for nursed child, but helpful anyway. I use Natren "Life Start".

3.Aktivated Barley (powder in his cereal) - extremely nutritious and contains immunity building properties (Pure Planet)

4.Once in the while Barley grass in teaspoon of water. Pure Planet.

5.Once in the while: Flax

6.Once in the while: Spirulina powder in the teaspoon mixed with water

7.Once in 3/4 days 1 teaspoon Virgin Coconut Oil

It is harder for iron to absorb from plant-based food, then from animal based especially for a child. I keep that in mind and don't deny him animal products: eggs, meat.
#6 of 10 Old 05-05-2006, 09:28 PM

Unfortunatly dosing depends on the specific brand you are doing. For the CLO I use Nordic Naturals for the DHA and omega 3 factors-it is a low vitamin CLO. I give about 1.5 tsp a day to both kids, but for a one year old you may want to do more like .5 tsp a day.

I use vitamineral green and give each kid a tsp. a day. A multi contains (in theory) all your vitamins and mineral for the day. THe problem is they don't all work synergistically...so even if you got a GREAT multi that has everything you needed and was unfragmented and food based-certain mineral will inhibit the absorption of certain vitamins and vice versa. Soooo, what are you really getting? With a greens powser you are getting the mineral and sometimes the B vitamins that are perfectly compatible. A good supplement is totally food derived and recognizable to the body so it is quickly and efficiently used.
#7 of 10 Old 05-05-2006, 10:20 PM

oops, double post
#8 of 10 Old 05-06-2006, 02:24 AM

can i butt into this thread?

my 3 year old doesn't eat alot, so i have been giving her a multivit, but have run out and am thinking i probalby won't buy any more. i've started giving her CLO (5000 IU of A, 400 of D per day,) she gets a daily probiotic, and i've been giving her a chewable vitamin C and a chewable cal/mag supplement per day. does this sound okay for a 27 lb 3 year old? should i think about the green/mineral supplement? i also give her about 2 tsp of coconut oil per day in her oatmeal.

Robyn - In stillheart.gif with Tyson, Gothy Mama to fairy.gif Jasmyn (March 12 2003), jammin.gifGrayson (August 2 2005), my angel3.gif Aurora Hope (m/c Nov 10 2010), and baby.gif Sydney Rayne (September 17 2011)     ribboncesarean.gifx3

#9 of 10 Old 05-06-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareimer
can i butt into this thread?

my 3 year old doesn't eat alot, so i have been giving her a multivit, but have run out and am thinking i probalby won't buy any more. i've started giving her CLO (5000 IU of A, 400 of D per day,) she gets a daily probiotic, and i've been giving her a chewable vitamin C and a chewable cal/mag supplement per day. does this sound okay for a 27 lb 3 year old? should i think about the green/mineral supplement? i also give her about 2 tsp of coconut oil per day in her oatmeal.
Sounds like you are doing a good job!!! You can try giving her a banana smoothie (or something fruity, so she loves the taste) and stick a spoon of greens in there (cereal grasses are a good choice, IMO).
#10 of 10 Old 05-09-2006, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery
Unfortunatly dosing depends on the specific brand you are doing. For the CLO I use Nordic Naturals for the DHA and omega 3 factors-it is a low vitamin CLO. I give about 1.5 tsp a day to both kids, but for a one year old you may want to do more like .5 tsp a day.

I use vitamineral green and give each kid a tsp. a day. A multi contains (in theory) all your vitamins and mineral for the day. THe problem is they don't all work synergistically...so even if you got a GREAT multi that has everything you needed and was unfragmented and food based-certain mineral will inhibit the absorption of certain vitamins and vice versa. Soooo, what are you really getting? With a greens powser you are getting the mineral and sometimes the B vitamins that are perfectly compatible. A good supplement is totally food derived and recognizable to the body so it is quickly and efficiently used.
Can you give me some more info about the Vitamineral Green? I googled it and found some sites selling it, but didn't find any info about giving it to someone as young as my son (I don't want to overdose him). How did you decide on that one? I guess I'm kinda' looking for another source besides the companies selling it, b/c of course they're going to promote it.

Sorry I'm so clueless.....I grew up in a "fast food, hamburger helper, what are nutrients?" type of family and so this is a whole new world that I'm only gradually figuring out.
For example....vegetarian diets, vegan diets, Weston A. Price....they are all very different but the research each presents makes them each seem like the "ideal." How do you decide?? Just kinda' go with what you like best, what sounds right to you?? (I have chosen to go the Weston A. Price route....). Oops! Sorry, rambling again...

*I sometimes wonder if finding out all this information is a curse and not a blessing.......lol*

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page