What's for dinner?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-27-2003, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Tonight I threw together for myself some brown rice, mushroom slices and onion sauteed in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, corn, apple chunks (that was my 2 year old Caleb's idea... he threw some in, so I threw in a couple more...) and fresh pressed tomatoes mixed together and stuffed into an orange pepper which I'll cook for about 5 mins to make it soft... (It's cooking right now)

The boys are just going to have the brown rice, corn and I steamed some brocolli and green beans for them...

They don't normally eat what I eat, and I'm just now learning to portion off the food they will eat before doing whatever to mine...

What did you/are you making for dinner tonight???

This is a great way for me to get other meal ideas!! I'm always scratching my head wondering what we can have for dinner!!!

Love,
Emily

#2 of 8 Old 02-28-2003, 02:45 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tonight we had some really good creamy black beans, cooked with grated ginger and tamari towards the end. we also baked chunks of red onions, parsnips, and rutabaga with a splash of tamari. I had also made some moist cornbread (cornmeal, rice and barley flour, leftover millet) ahead of time to slice and pan-fry to be served with the beans, but I got hungry way before the beans were done.
This was real comfort food for me as I have been sick with the flu for the last week.
#3 of 8 Old 02-28-2003, 12:47 PM

We had Hawaiian Stiry Fry. Basically you stir fry a bunch of veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, water chestnuts, and green cabbage) and then at the end you pour on this delicious sauce which goes as follows:

2/3 cup pineapple juice
2 tbl soy sauce
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbl plus 1 tsp of cornstarch
1 tsp of sugar

Even my 3 year old ate her entire meal. I served it with jasmine rice on the side. Delish!
#4 of 8 Old 02-28-2003, 01:51 PM

I made one of our favorite dishes:
Fried Summersquash Lasagna.
1. Slice summersquash in lengths or coins
2. cover in egg (vegans could use something else)
3. roll in flour
4. fry in veg. oil (olive is my favorite)
5. put a good layer in the bottom of a cassarole dish
6. layer tomato sauce
7. Continue with these steps, leaving room for cheese
8. cover with shredded mozzerella
9. Bake at 375 until cheese is melted and browned
Serve with garlic bread and salad
#5 of 8 Old 02-28-2003, 02:34 PM

I like to cook something for one meal that I can cook extra of and use the next night.

Last night, we had tomato soup (from a can) and I added black beans and brown rice. I made extra rice.

Tonight, we will use the extra rice and black beans together with some sauteed onions and mushrooms and tomato juice to do up burritos (sort of) with sour cream and shredded cheese in whole wheat tortillas.
#6 of 8 Old 02-28-2003, 03:20 PM

Hey, I do the same thing in regards to making extra!! Last night I made an extra dish of the lasagna to freeze for another time. I figure if I am going through all that trouble, I will save some time and oil.
#7 of 8 Old 02-28-2003, 03:39 PM

Tonight we are doing my favorite: reservations!

But last night I made sesame crusted seared fresh tuna steaks, grilled asparagus and jasmine rice. My 18 month old son had his tuna well done, 2 spears of asparagus dipped in plain yogurt and the rice. He pretty much eats whatever we eat but I always make sure to offer something I know he loves too. Then we can just let him eat what he wants with no pressure.

Have a great weekend!

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#8 of 8 Old 03-02-2003, 07:29 PM

I had a reporter coming to dinner and made him the split-pea soup and carrot-corn muffins from my book so the photographer could get pictures. He was very impressed watching my 4 year old and two year old gobble them up!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page