Natural hygienist or raw foodist? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-28-2003, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone out there follow the natural hygiene philosophy or raw foods diet? I am curious to hear about your diet and your challenges and rewards!!

Joyfulheart
#2 of 4 Old 03-19-2003, 05:52 AM

Have been making carrot, spinach, greens... jiuice since I've been pregnant, now I am at 36 weeks, It's helped me get more fluids, and viamins, it feels helpful and gives my spirit a lift. I am 45 years old, first baby and my doctors and midwives always comment on how good my pregnancy is. Still working 20 hours a week. I also eat hot chicken soup and other hot foods that I crave, being one heck of a winter in upstate NY, cooked veges, meat at times.
#3 of 4 Old 03-19-2003, 10:23 AM

Raw vegan here, my dd is too. (Being raw is defined as eating 80% or more of your food in its raw, uncooked, unprocessed state). Tho on ocassion I have some cooked food (usually pasta on spaghetti nights but I've found an awesome raw spaghetti recipie so that should change). When I get the urge to eat cooked, like for comfort food, I will lightly steam some veggies. As for changes, I definately feel much much healthier, and I notice that when I eat something cooked, I feel so sleepy after. The biggest challenge I have to deal with is never feeling "full". And since you rely on fresh fruits and vegetables, you become aware of their seasonal quality real fast. Hot house tomatoes, yuckko. I lean towards the fruititarian side of raw foods. It take a long time for my body to digest some vegetables, like carrots. So dd and I eat a ton of fruits a day, nibble on greens like spinach, and eat some walnuts and other uncooked nuts like almonds. We also get raw sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds from Wild Oats.

I get my support and inspiration from Shazzie and Shazzie's Detox Your World . There is also a ton of info as well as a lively message board at Living Foods .
#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2003, 04:06 PM

I did raw foods for a few years. I felt great at first, slimmed down, lightened up, lots of energy but then I got too thin, cold all the time in those New England Winters, became anemic after a few years. When I moved to California, I did macrobiotics for a year and all that cooked food and grains seemed to balance me out. Now I have a mixture. We do a lot of raw foods/smoothies - in the summer but in winter stick to more cooked/warming foods. We eat a lot of brown rice . . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page