Rice cooker - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-28-2003, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just bought one, but the one I bought doesnt have a nonstick bowl. Dont know yet if thats a bad thing or not, also the one I bought the lid doesnt lock (it just sits there like a crock pot lid)? I saw one in a differant store AFTER I had bought mine that was a nonstick and the lid locked/sealed tight. Maybe I should take mine back and get the other?
Just was wondering what everybodies thoughts on them are, do you like it or not?

I also need some new tasty recipes for rice, so what are your favorites? We love brown and wild rices.

TIA
#2 of 9 Old 02-28-2003, 10:38 AM

I have arice cooker, but want a new one.

dont want to sound silly....but can i cook brown rice in one?

Thanks, Lisa
#3 of 9 Old 02-28-2003, 02:02 PM

I bought a rice cooker and hated it! I took it back and returned it!

Spend the money on a heavy saucepan with a tight fitting see through lid and a "flame tamer" No more burnt brown rice. I have been cooking white rice in a cassarole in the microwave for years with good results. There are rice threads on here, mine among them, on cooking brown rice, happy hunting
#4 of 9 Old 03-02-2003, 06:02 PM

Be prepared to spend $90-200 for a good
rice cooker. Look for one with a locking lid and bigger capacity. Try you local asian food market. We bought the cheepo model a few years ago and it petered out in less than six months so it is worth it to spend a little more and have it last. The one we have now was about $90 and so far we really like it. Now that we are parents and dd is eating like one of the family, we like to be able to make a little more rice and sometimes have leftovers. You can try your luck at on of the $30 models but we felt like we wasted the money and ended up having to buy the nice one anyway.
#5 of 9 Old 03-02-2003, 06:22 PM

Lisa,
Could you tell me more about your rice cooker? What do the more pricey models have that that the cheep ones dont ( other than obvious quality)?

And why is a locking lid important?

So far with the one that I just got I hate the fact that it spits starch over its self and anything nearby.

The one Costco has has a locking lid and it doesnt have the direct breather hole at the top of the lid so maybe it wouldnt spit starch ALL over the place

As you can tell I know nothing of rice cookers, yet.
#6 of 9 Old 03-05-2003, 02:18 AM

OK, I just read "my" reply and I have to confess that my dh was posting as me. He bought the rice cooker to keep me from ruining anymore rice. So far it has saved us many a fuss. The new cooker he bought is bigger/sturdier than the old one. The old one just had a little hole in the lid that was supposed to let some of the steam out. It was very messy, but the new one has a removeable cylindar that traps any spew and lets the pressure off without the mess. I think they all have steamer baskets so that shouldn't be a big deal. I am happy with the new cooker, but dh is the one that read all the features and could probably write a rice cooker article for consumer reports. I will have him come back and explain the merits of the higher end models. He is very much into the "bang for buck" so he will definately push the cheapest high end model.

Oh, and brown rice was the straw that broke the camel's back with dh. The last time I made it in a heavy saucepan with a tight fitting lid, I still managed to louse it up so he decided to find a way to make it fool proof. Although I was a bit insulted at first, I am happy to report that my brown rice has never tasted better.
#7 of 9 Old 03-05-2003, 03:47 AM

You MUST rinse the rice until the water runs clear before cooking white rice. That will help with the sticky mess.

HTH...I am searching for rice cooker info too.

I need a sweet sticky rice recipe if anyone has one.
#8 of 9 Old 03-10-2003, 02:44 PM

yes, you can cook brown rice in a rice cooker. I do it all the time.

There is a very good one that you can get for $30 at CostCo. It is the Aroma model...it looks like a deep fat fryer cause it has the locking lid and has the non-stick surface inside. My friend has had hers for years and has not had any sticking problems! It also has a basket to put in top for veggies.

Very nice affordable rice cooker!

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#9 of 9 Old 03-10-2003, 02:51 PM

Thanks Jessica. I wonder if they have one at Sams? i dont have costco here!

I need a sweet sticky rice recipe if anyone has one
that sounds sooo good? anyone out there with a recipe??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page