Better things to drink and eat??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2003, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this at Healthy Home too...

My DH is a Mellow Yellow/Mt. Dew FREAK. He drinks it all the time. Occasionally, he will drink something caffeine free as long as it looks and tastes like soda.

Can anyone point me in the direction of Natural drinks that are yummy? He hates milk (not that it's good for you) or tea, but will drink juice, but that's sooooo full of sugar. He's got teeth that are very easily damaged by sugar.

He doesn't need to be on a diet as he's underweight, but he does need to eat and drink more nutritiously. He has these incredible headaches on which I partially blame his diet. I am slowly cutting out the chips, candy, cupcakes too. Any suggestions for healthful snacks that taste like junk food and don't sound like health food?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2003, 02:32 AM

is there a trader joe's in your area? they seem to specialize in "semi-junk food"- snax that aren't great but at least not loaded with artificial crap and a lot of times at least on the low-fat side.
Old 03-01-2003, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how about those flavored carbonated waters (I found orange, lemon, and lime flavors at Trader Joes)

Also, how about mixing sparkling water with juice - at least better than soda and dilutes the juice a bit.

My husband is also a junk food addict - especially at night. I get organic corn chips and salsa, make popcorn. He likes veggies and ranch dressing, deviled eggs, and he loves my healthy cookies. CHeck out the healthy cookie thread where I posted a couple.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 03-01-2003, 07:35 PM

we get flavored carbonated water at walmart! dh was against it at first, but its "grown" on him now
Old 03-01-2003, 11:07 PM

My DH was also big on junk- he was a consummate bachelor when we met. I got him hooked on soymilk though, helped him cut down on the lattes and started buying him Blue-sky soda and Knudsen's sparkling juices in a can. Both taste great and have less sugar, no artificial colorings or flavors and are better companies to support.
Good luck.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Where do you get Blue Sky and Knudsen?

There's no Trader Joes anywhere near us.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:30 AM

My husband (of 10 years) is also a soda adict. He had migraines and trouble sleeping. And would drink only Coke or Dr. Pepper. I have tried for years to get him to drink more responsibly but to no avail. I finally stopped buying it for him. He has to get it himself. And with the sleep issue, I got him to try going caffine free. He has switched now to sprite and it has helped with head aches and sleep disturbances. I just wish he could go a little further and drink water - especially in front of our three sons (6, 5, and 14 months). now my older one is asking for soda. eek! Guilt over setting a bad example was one of the reasons he began the switch. Anyhow.... (sorry to write a book) .... don't enable his habit. You can't change other people's behavior (or diets) only your own
Old 03-03-2003, 03:58 AM

Both companies have websites
blueskysoda.com
knudsenjuices.com

and i know that bluesky has an online store.

Also, I used to be able to go through my regular old grocery store to buy the sodas. They will probably special order whatever you want even if it is not what they regularly sell.

Who needs trader joes, really?

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
Old 03-03-2003, 01:34 PM

I second Cathe. I usually buy a 100% juice cranberry-and-something or grape-and-something blend and dilute it with sparkling water. We just call it juice-soda. It satitisfies that craving for fizz, and you can adjust the juice water ratio for each persons taste/nutritional needs. You could start his drinks off being mostly juice (crans and grapes tend to be really intense and sweet), and as time goes by, gradually increase the amount of sparkling water.... If he's still craving traditional soda, maybe he could keep it where the kids won't see it, and drink it only when they are asleep?
Good luck!

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington

User Tag List