Green smoothies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who make green smoothies, do you use just the juice from the greens or do you cut the greens and blend them?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 PM

Hello!

We make them almost daily---I just throw in some fresh kale or spinach---I just wash it. You don't need to chop it or juice it.

They are sooooooooooo yummy!

#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

What are your favorite combinations? Our diet lately is abysmal. I want to get us on track this summer and incorporate as much raw food as possible, but have a 5-year-old boy who shuns anything green. I'm hoping smoothies would be a good start as he'll usually drink those.

Thanks!
#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 12:21 AM

Well, I don't know how "green" my green smoothies are, and I've posted this a few times recently, but here goes ...

I have a 4.5-year-old boy who also is opposed to anything green in his diet. I sneak greens into him via smoothies and frozen smoothies. I often make HUGE batches of smoothie using whole bags of spinach, entire bunches of kale, broccoli, romaine lettuce, avocados and then adding berries, peaches, bananas, stevia and/or raw honey or maple syrup, egg yolks, coconut oil, kefir, fresh juice, etc. I also put a big dollop of high vitamin x-factor butter oil in my smoothies, but that's just me. Ummm, what else ... I sometimes substitute homemade yogurt for the kefir, and add more spring water to make a consistency that's drinkable. I get a lot of really good stuff into a smoothie, as my kids will drink them like they're chocolate milk and eat the frozen smoothie pops like ice cream.
#5 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 01:19 AM

This is my favorite: blueberries, peaches,
strawberries, flax oil, spinach, lean greens powder, orange juice and
yogurt. YUM! My toddler loves this!

Someone recently posted about this yummy sounding smoothie :

"pina colada" smoothie: fresh pineapple, banana, coconut tofu or yogurt and orange juice
#6 of 7 Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea
Well, I don't know how "green" my green smoothies are, and I've posted this a few times recently, but here goes ...

I have a 4.5-year-old boy who also is opposed to anything green in his diet. I sneak greens into him via smoothies and frozen smoothies. I often make HUGE batches of smoothie using whole bags of spinach, entire bunches of kale, broccoli, romaine lettuce, avocados and then adding berries, peaches, bananas, stevia and/or raw honey or maple syrup, egg yolks, coconut oil, kefir, fresh juice, etc. I also put a big dollop of high vitamin x-factor butter oil in my smoothies, but that's just me. Ummm, what else ... I sometimes substitute homemade yogurt for the kefir, and add more spring water to make a consistency that's drinkable. I get a lot of really good stuff into a smoothie, as my kids will drink them like they're chocolate milk and eat the frozen smoothie pops like ice cream.

MMMMMM, that sounds yummi!!!

Ours is simple: bananas, strawberries, coconut oil, water, spirulina, barley grass, kamut.
#7 of 7 Old 05-14-2006, 12:40 PM

Here's mine: http://cookingnt.blogspot.com/2006/0...smoothies.html

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page