Target brand organic milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-13-2006, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'm starting lots of threads today, but there's so much I want/need to know!

My brother-in-law and his wife buy the Horizon organic milk you can get at Target and Walmart. I noticed it costs about twice as much as the regular storebrand whole milk (which is what we buy now).

Today at Target I saw that they have their own brand of organic milk (I don't remember if it's under the Archer Farms or the Market Pantry label) which is cheaper than Horizon. It seems like a good compromise price-wise. Anyone know anything about this milk?

While I'm asking, let me confirm what I've heard- is the main reason to stick with organic because of all the hormones which are in the regular storebought milk? If it says "organic" can you believe them? (Is there a way of really knowing?).

Do stores like Whole Foods sell it any cheaper than walmart and target, or are they more?

Ok, I think this is the last thread I'll start tonight.
#2 of 9 Old 05-13-2006, 11:16 PM

There are federal regulations regarding what can be labeled organic and not...and there is a marking they put on products. You'll notice it.

I tried the Target brand organic milk when I picked up groceries last week, and thought it was good enough...though it did end up going bad before the expiration date. Odd...

I think that the Horizon organic milk is good, too, but find that if I can get locally produced milk, it's much more flavorful. Might see if anywhere around you carries organic or at least natural milk (like w/o hormones but maybe the cattle eat feed that's not necessarily organic).

Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc. have their own store brands of nearly everything, organic milk included, and I find its qualities to be similar to the Target brand, similar to Horizon's. It's certainly cheaper than name brands, you'll have to decide whether the taste is any different to you and whether it's worth it. If you're going to Whole Foods or WO, see if they don't carry locally produced milk, it's my best recommendation.

Happy conversion!

Tresa
#3 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 02:42 AM

I won't buy Horizon because I don't consider it to be worth Organic prices since they are factory raised cows, same as commercial milk. Many of the store brands also get their "organic" milk from Dean Foods, owner of Horizon.

You're best to stick with Organic Valley, Stonyfield or a local Organic brand of milk IMO. We use raw goat's milk that we get from my mom part of the year, the rest of the year we buy Organic Valley or a local brand of low-heat pasteurized non-homogenized cow's milk.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/nosb2.htm
http://cornucopia.org/index.php/dairy_brand_ratings/

eat: the local brand I mentioned is TradersPoint Creamery and they scored in the outstanding section in the second link I posted above.
#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm another consumer who won't buy Horizon. I tend to buy Stonyfield or Organic Valley. If I'm going to pay for organic products I definitely want to support those who are doing more for the animals.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#5 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 10:40 AM

My dh drinks Organic Valley or Stonyfield for now. When I find a place I can get him raw milk-thats what I want to do.

Tiffany , mama to my 2 spirited girls, natalee (8/05) and scarlett (5/09)
#6 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 02:04 PM

I didn't know that about Horizon!! I won't be buying that brand anymore.
#7 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 02:19 PM

We buy and like the Target brand Organic Milk...
#8 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 03:10 PM

We no longer buy Horizon. I am going raw for myself,and won't be drinking milk anymore,but for my kids I buy Organic Valley or Stonyfield Farm.
#9 of 9 Old 05-14-2006, 09:23 PM

We are another family that doesn't buy Horizon anymore either. Organic Valley is our choice and costs the same anyway. Since Dean supplies the generics to our local stores and Coscto (I believe) we avoid that also.

Deb

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page