What are you making for dinner TONIGHT? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 400 Old 07-03-2006, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
OMG, you're brilliant. I am going to do that later this week. I have snow peas that need to be stirfried anyway, so I'll throw some lettuce in. I bet that shrinks it way down too so you can use lots of it. Hee hee.
Yep, it shrinks WAY down.
#302 of 400 Old 07-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Banned

Tonight was grilled chicken sausages, (they were really good, have no nitrates or junk) and grilled sweet potato/onion packets. Thank God for the grill. And a side of sugar snap peas. YUM!
#303 of 400 Old 07-04-2006, 10:22 AM

Going to my mom's for a 'hobo dinner' today...before anyone asks, you take a NEW CLEAN metal trash can and put kielbasa, cabbage, potatoes and corn on the cob in there and cook it over a fire pit. I think mom is just using her big stock pot, but still.

I'm taking a bunch of veggies...carrots, broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, snap peas, celery, grape tomatoes, mushrooms and green onions along with some chipotle ranch dip and red bell pepper hummus.
#304 of 400 Old 07-04-2006, 07:45 PM

Hot wings (chicken drumettes, hot sauce, butter, msg-free ranch powder mix), frozen green beans w/almonds, and salad.

Me love.gif, DH guitar.gif, and DD baby.gif9/27/10!
#305 of 400 Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkenny
Going to my mom's for a 'hobo dinner' today...before anyone asks, you take a NEW CLEAN metal trash can and put kielbasa, cabbage, potatoes and corn on the cob in there and cook it over a fire pit. I think mom is just using her big stock pot, but still.

I'm taking a bunch of veggies...carrots, broccoli, green peppers, cucumbers, snap peas, celery, grape tomatoes, mushrooms and green onions along with some chipotle ranch dip and red bell pepper hummus.
neat
When I was in South Africa, they actually did something similar to this. When they had large gatherings-they took a HUGE pot and had it outside and served people from it.And it was a nice event too, at a retreat type place.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#306 of 400 Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM

We had loads of fun and ate out of the pot all day. We figured up we spent about $30 total and fed 15 people TWO MEALS! Can't beat that.

Tonight we had bean burgers and a salad with sweet and sour dressing. Have enough leftovers for dinner tomorrow night too.
#307 of 400 Old 07-06-2006, 11:28 AM

Last night we had leftovers/scrounge night. I ate a salad with the LAST OF THIS WEEK'S LETTUCE! and DP had a leftover spinach calzone. We both snacked on zucchini bread afterwards.

Tonight I'm making a stirfry with chicken, snow peas, carrots and black mushrooms.

Lish, you mind sharing your bean burger recipe? I have never had very good luck with them, and I'd love a TNT version.
#308 of 400 Old 07-06-2006, 12:03 PM

Bean burgers...I don't have an exact measurement, but this is what I did last night. Be warned that I made a dozen burgers out of this and have enough for dinner tonight.

I reconstituted some dried pintos the night before (about 6 quick handfuls thrown in a pot). Once they were cooked up, they measured out to 6 cups of cooked beans.

I turned 8 slices of bread into breadcrumbs and threw that in there along with 2 eggs, some chopped green onion, garlic and some seasoned salt.

Mashed it all together with a potato masher, then spooned big spoonfuls (ladel size) of it out into some heated olive oil in a pan and fried up until brown on each side (turning them onto a cookie sheet in a warm oven in between batches).

It was too sticky to form into patties by hand, but this way, they still fried up nice and I just pushed them down with the back of the spatula after I flipped them while browning.

Served on keyser rolls with tomato, lettuce, pickle and condiments...YUM!
#309 of 400 Old 07-06-2006, 01:09 PM

We had a country lamb casserole Heaven in a dish.

the night before we did clam chowder. So tongiht we will most likely finish up the clam chowder. And have a nice salad with greens from CSA. Or if dh decideds to eat it for lunch and let me have the leftover casserole.....I might make bubble and squeak. Never had it but it was on our CSA recipe list as we got potatoes and cabbage yesterday.

#310 of 400 Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM

im sitting here eating veggie dogs
i should really get up and cook something...im looking through this thread for ideas...

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#311 of 400 Old 07-07-2006, 06:55 AM

ok we had a frittata I believe it is called. Pretty much quiche without the crust. It had potaotes, onions, peppers, sage, grill seasoning, garlic, moZerella, eggs, milk, parmesean. It was really really good!Oh, and the last of our spinach too.

For dessert I made chocolate cherry ice cream
Pretty much : a bit of milk, fresh cream, frozen bananas, cherries, and a peach. 1/4 cup cocoa powder, and some maple syrup, egg, and a 1/2 tsp vanilla.

#312 of 400 Old 07-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Tonight is spaghetti, salad, and garlic bread
#313 of 400 Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 AM

Lish, TY for the bean burger recipe. I think frying them might be the key -- I always try to bake mine. Silly me.

Leilalu, I love fritattas! I make them pretty often, usually when I go to visit my mom b/c they're one of her favorites.

Tonight we are having gravlax that we made ourselves -- we do it several times a year with fresh dill and gooooood salmon from the farmer's market -- along with new potatoes, some hard-cooked eggs, and mustard-dill sauce. Seems like there ought to be some shots of aquavit involved too, but I doubt that'll happen.
#314 of 400 Old 07-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Tonight will be split pea soup made with a delicious ham hock.

Haven't decided on an accompaniment yet. Maybe sourdough bread.

#315 of 400 Old 07-07-2006, 06:07 PM

we're going to the locally owned mexican restaurant with the grandmas tonight.
#316 of 400 Old 07-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Tonight is a toss-up...DH wants pizza (and I have to admit that spinach/feta/black olives sound yummy right now!) but I don't know if I'll have the funds to order or buy the stuff (bill paying day!)...maye peanut noodles? Hmmmm...choices, choices.
#317 of 400 Old 07-08-2006, 04:22 PM

thai tofu with rice noodles and veg, in a peanut sauce. fresh fruit for dessert -- cherries, blueberries, peaches, melon from the market.
#318 of 400 Old 07-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Well, we had the pizza...tonight will be noodles, salad, and fresh blackberries.
#319 of 400 Old 07-09-2006, 11:13 AM

BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches..........and I dont know what else, maybe watermelon, and salad.
#320 of 400 Old 07-10-2006, 07:42 PM

Tonight was a spicy mac and cheese, cucumber salad and homemade biscuits. I used up some chipotle dip from the 4th to make the mac and cheese creamier, but holy cow! SPICY! That wouldn't have been so bad if it wouldn't have turned the cheese grainy. It was edible, but I think I'll stick to our original mac and cheese recipe next time.
#321 of 400 Old 07-10-2006, 08:01 PM

Chicken kabob sandwiches! I've got chicken breasts marinating in yogurt sauce, and I'm going to serve them on whole wheat pitas with salad greens and hummus. Also extra hummus + raw veggies for dipping on the side.

#322 of 400 Old 07-10-2006, 08:54 PM

Zucchini cakes
pasta with garlic scape pesto
and greens

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#323 of 400 Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 PM

Trader Joe's pasta w/pesto sauce and parmesan cheese. Trader Joe's bread (dh went, so it's a non-ww night, ). Yellow squash from the garden, and fresh cherry tomatoes, also garden. mmmmmm
#324 of 400 Old 07-10-2006, 09:52 PM

It's so dang hot we just had fresh corn on the cob and sliced tomatoes with fresh basil and mozzerella with a balsamic vinegar/olive oil/locust honey drizzle and crunchy sea salt.
#325 of 400 Old 07-11-2006, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I made chicken enchiladas tonight--basically I followed the recipe on the back of a can of Old El Paso green chile sauce, but I added spinach and black beans. I washed some organic spinach, threw it in a pan with a lid on it for about 2 minutes, it wilted, then I took the stems off, chopped, and added it to the cream cheese, bean, chicken, chile mix after I turned the burner off. and used whole wheat tortillas. Family still loves them, didn't seem to notice I'd added spinach and black beans....

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), and one 13 wk (10/13) just your average :ha ng multigenerational living family!!
#326 of 400 Old 07-11-2006, 01:36 AM

Split pea soup and toasted ciabatta rolls.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#327 of 400 Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 AM

we had fried green tomatoes last night. With fresh unripe tomatoes from my garden the kids decided to pick
I sauteed them with butter, after dipping them in a mixture of egg/fresh raw milk and then then seasoned cornmeal.

We also had a fruit salad with pomegranate vinegar. it had strawberries, blueberries, nectarine, and plums We also had turkey bacon and homeade blueberry kefir.

tonight we had a curried pea soup with leftover CSA potatoes, and cilantro. It had yogurt and coconut mlk in it. Lots of indian spice too. I love it whnever I make it. We had chicken breasts with it, on lettuce with yogurt.

#328 of 400 Old 07-11-2006, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato2boys
Zucchini cakes
pasta with garlic scape pesto
and greens
Nicole, may I please have your recipe for these? Well, not the greens; those I can make myself. But I have a bunch of garlic scapes in the fridge from our CSA. And always on the lookout for new zuke recipes. TIA!

Last night we had salad and artichokes, the night before that was a so-so chickpea/kale curry, and tonight is...drumroll please...CHICKEN! Of some kind. I'm not sure what to do with it yet, have to go inventory the vegetables and see what inspires me.
#329 of 400 Old 07-11-2006, 09:03 AM

I'm making a pot of corn chowder tonight.
#330 of 400 Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 AM

tonight was simple. We had yummy Niman Ranch hotdogs. And cabbage sauteed until carmel-ey (got that idea here!) And to that I added 21 seasoning spice, and some leftover CSA potatoes, and a big handful of cilantro, and salt.
We also had a fruit salad with plums, bananas, roasted walnuts and raisins and pomegranate vinegar from Trader Joes.

Then dh noticed all the blackberries that ripened on the vine out back and we hurried to get them all before the birds did. So now, er his request I made blackberry cobbler. We will have it with vanilla bean ice cream.Double Rainbow brand. The cobbler was easy I don't measure much, but I will try to jot it down.

About 2 cups of blackberries, washed briefly under cold water.
TBLSP of lemon juice.
about 1/2 to 1 cup of water-enough to cover the berries in the pot.
1 TBLSP (heaping) arrowroot powder
1/4 tsp almond extract
about 1/2 cup sugar(i used demerara)

Put the above ing.(except for arrowroot) in a pot on high heat. When mixture boils, turn down to a bubbly simmer on a low setting. After about 5 min, put arrowroot powder in a tablsp or so of water and stir. Add to pot, turn off heat. Stir occasionally, letting it thicken.

1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar(split in half)
2 tsp cinnamon(split in half)
1/2 stick melted butter

melt butter, add sugar, cinnamon, and flour, mix until crumbly. If needed, add more flour to get the right texture...crumbles.

pour blackberry mix in an over safe container, add crumble mixture atop. Mix the rest of the sugar/cinnamon and sprinkle on top.
Bake at 400, until it really browns on top and seems done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page