How often do you cook dinner? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many times a week do you cook dinner from scratch?
1-2 times 7 9.59%
3 times 5 6.85%
4 times 16 21.92%
5 times 15 20.55%
6-7 times 30 41.10%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2003, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK- with small child(ren) and all that entails, how many times a week do you cook dinner from scratch?

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2003, 01:06 AM

Voted for 5 times a week.

Its hard for me to cook as I dont care for cooking and dh and I dont always like the same stuff. Often on his days off he will cook which is always a nice thing.

I would love to cook and make all sorts of yummy things, but finding the time and somebody always seems to need me when my hands are the most dirty.

And then I have times like tonight that nothing turns out right and that just dappens my desire to cook

maybe if I where organized cooking would be easier but how do you organize young children and their needs : You cant LOL
Old 03-03-2003, 01:10 AM

Does "from scratch" include canned or frozen vegetables?

I cook a lot, but I don't always eat fresh vegies due to bad selection in our stores.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:05 AM

Does it include leftovers? I often make a big meal and then add a few extras for another days meal. I put a dinner from my hands onto a table at least 5 days a week.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:52 AM
PM
Banned

I love to cook! It's the one time my child seems to get the picture and leave me alone. I make fresh tomato sauce once a week, plus soups, stews, cakes and pies. But I really love to do it. We go out about once a week here, so I cook from scratch 6 nights and 2 lunches (we have European habits, so no sandwiches or anything like that for lunch - except for the occasional pb&j when dh's at work!)
Old 03-03-2003, 11:56 AM
glh

6-7 nights a week. We eat dinner out or get pizza only once or twice a month. Sometimes dinner is simple like pancakes, but most nights it is homemade soup and bread (not always homemade) a casserole, stew, pasta and salad, or chicken and vegetables. I like to cook, but it is harder with small children. My 2 yr old loves to "help". I want to encourage her, because some day it really will be helpful and she will learn to cook, but right now it does make cooking harder for me. My mother was an excellent cook and was a caterer for a long time, but she was too much of a perfectionist to really let me help her or learn from her. I learned how to cook from "The Joy of Cooking".
Old 03-03-2003, 12:33 PM

I voted 1-2 although its more like NONE - DH does all the cooking, cause he gets home first.

Chelly
Old 03-03-2003, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

I end up cooking 5 nights a week-- sometimes using the crock pot- but with two kids under four, I am finding that seems like it's taking up our entire evening to prepare, cook and wash the dishes (many interruptions and then food is ready and baby needs to nurse, dd needs the potty and food gets cold...)

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 03-03-2003, 08:56 PM

hmmm. I wish I could cook more every time I'm in the kitchen the kids cry and want food that minute.. but I do enjoy it and probably cook 5 days a week.

But sometimes thats like annies mac n cheese, frenchtoast, some easy meals!

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
Old 03-05-2003, 12:33 PM

I voted 6-7. Even when mine were tiny (I had 3 in 2y9m) I always cooked from scratch. The most "ready to serve" thing I buy would be cans of soup - which eat once every couple weeks. We just don't have the money to buy ready-to-serve or order out or go out, and I don't like the amount of oils, fats, sugar and salt in most food that is ready-to-serve or order out.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:26 PM

I manage to cook about 2 times a week. Sometimes less. My dh cooks 1 or 2 times a week, but for the most part the kids think it is dinner time when the garage door opens .
Old 03-05-2003, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 3girlsmom
I manage to cook about 2 times a week. Sometimes less. My dh cooks 1 or 2 times a week, but for the most part the kids think it is dinner time when the garage door opens .
:LOL :LOL :LOL
Old 03-06-2003, 10:18 AM

I try to cook 5-6 times a week. I stock the pantry/fridge/freezer with at least a week's worth of the basic ingredients. Sometimes I even write out a menu.

Also I have to start early in the day with planning/prep. If I don't we end up eating out and not eating as well (also spending too much $$$).
Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 AM

I've never counted, but I going to say that I cook about 4 times a week. The other nights are leftovers, "easy food" or takeout.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 PM

We have dinner that I've cooked about 6 times a week, but I only actually cook 4 times or so per week, sometimes less. I make things in large quantities and freeze them to save time. Once a week, we do takeout or go out to eat. I love to cook, but it's hard with kids. I usually either wait until dh gets home to cook, or put ds #1 in front of a video and ds #2 in the baby trekker. I would get the kids involved in cooking, but the younger one is not old enough and the older one is not interested unless we're making cookies or something.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:54 PM

Since it's just me, I rarely cook. I microwave and eat out a lot. I would love to cook more whole foods, but there doesn't seem to be enough time. :
Old 03-08-2003, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hippymama2B
Since it's just me, I rarely cook. I microwave and eat out a lot. I would love to cook more whole foods, but there doesn't seem to be enough time. :
I hear you...... my son starts "I'm hungry" two minutes after we walk in the door after work.
We do a lot of our veggies in the microwave, and DS likes his carrots raw, so he's normally sitting down with a bowl full of carrots.... :

We bought a steamer when he was little, I made most of his food in there and mashed it up - it still comes in handy, just fill the bottom with water, throw in the veggies (together or we have two bowls that stack on top) and on average they take about 20 minutes to cook. Thats enough time to get the meat going or change out of your work clothes....... :LOL
I think I might like a rice cooker, but so far I haven't heard them to be THAT fantastic.

Chelly
Old 03-09-2003, 01:56 PM

I love to cook! But I don't nearly as often as I would like. With ds being 9 mo and seemingly sick all winter it has been real tough. I buy alot of frozen meals. I am really hoping this spring I will have more chances to dirty all my pots and pans.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:08 PM

I cook almost every night from scratch. we are trying to save money and eat better so we cut out fast food. and I find for me that using what I already have at home is cheaper then buying prepared stuff. Granted sometimes our from scratch dinners are french toast and eggs, or grilled cheese. We also have been making pizza from scratch, I use my bread machine to make the dough. The kids love making the pizza. I also have found with a very energetic 2 year old it is just easier to cook dinner at home then make him suffer at a resturaunt
Old 03-10-2003, 07:51 PM

My Dh and I each have 3 night a week that we cook. It is always the same so no confusion over whose turn it is. One day a week I take the kids to their father's house (yes, I am divorced and re-married) and dh and I go out for date night. I love Tuesdays.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:33 AM

I said 5 because it's always at least that many, but about 50% of the time it's 6. Usually Friday night I just can't bring myself to do it so that ends up being our eat out/take-out night. Sometimes Saturday too, depending on what's going on. We usually don't have enough left over after a meal to feed all of us again. Leftovers usually get eaten by someone for lunch. I really dislike cooking too. When my boys were born & I started staying home, my mother sat me down & said "look, if you're going to be home all day, even if you do nothing else all day long, you must have dinner on the table when dh gets home from work. Mark my words." So I never tested her theory because I figured she had good reason for making such an issue of it. When the kids got old enough to eat solids, my motivation changed.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:02 PM

I voted 6-7.

DH usually makes dinner one night a week. Most days I cook lunch from scratch as well.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

User Tag List