Mothering Forum banner

time to change

390 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Boadicea 
#1 ·
since ds has been born, i have realize that our eating habits are TERRIBLE!!!! i mean i use to eat mac and cheese for dinner. i want to complete change. i started with wheat bread and brown rice. instead of shopping at food lion, i wanted to go to the farmers market. Holy cow!! the prices! how do you do it? we want to best but there is no way i can afford to shop like that every 2 weeks. do you buy certain things there and just buy other stuff at regular stores?

i need help

#2 ·
You can actually do both--you can shop at Food Lion for your staples and at the Farmer's Market for (some of) your produce until you adjust to the price difference (or until you figure out what's actually a better deal at the FM).

Don't try to change everything at once, or you'll get frustrated and go back to the ways that you know, because they're easier.

#3 ·
Look for someplace you can buy foods in bulk, too -- like a natural foods store or coop. That would be a less expensive source of grains, nuts, dried fruits, spices, seeds, etc. And for fresh vegetables, consider joining a CSA -- which is basically a cooperative farm. You pay a certain amount and/or pitch in with work shifts, and get (often organic) vegetables and sometimes other products all season. CSA stands for community supported agriculture.

ITA with frog, too -- make small, gradual changes, rather than trying to do it all at once. I've done it both ways. Once, years ago, I cut out all caffeine, white sugar, white flour, processed foods, etc. -- basically everything I loved
-- all at once. I was back to packing away the McDs and the Hostess cupcakes and the Diet Coke faster than you can say "organic spelt cracker." But recently (in the past 3-4 years, since getting pregnant with my first) I've started to slowly replace refined grains and sugars with unrefined ones, to add more vegetables into my diet, to use more whole foods, to buy organic free range eggs and meats when we can afford it, etc. And all the changes have stuck. I could no sooner eat a serving of, say, Kraft dinner than I could choke down a can of cat food. (Ok, I exaggerate a bit, but YKWIM). I think lots of "health food" is an acquired taste -- brown rice, for example.

Anyway, enough about me. I hope this helps. KEep posting here with questions, and good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.