temperature range for yogurt culturing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-26-2006, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my yogurt maker is making my yogurt too hot and killing the cultures...what is the temperature range I need to keep the yogurt at while it is culturing?
#2 of 5 Old 05-26-2006, 11:05 AM

Are you using the raw milk or pasturized milk. There seems to be a difference for temps. There was a recent thread about this. Let me see if I can find it.

The thread is called "do I need dehydrator to make raw milk yogurt?" I bumped the thread for you. It includes temp for yoghurt for pasturized at 170 deg F. and raw milk should be around 110 deg F.
#3 of 5 Old 05-26-2006, 02:57 PM

During the culturing phase you need it to be somewhat warmer than body temp, at around 100 to 110 deg F (at the highest). This will give the bacterial cultures a chance to thrive and produce the best finished yogurt.

The pre heating of the milk, before you add in any culture, is what varies, depending on whether you are using a store bought, pasturized milk, or a straight from the cow, raw milk.

If using store milk, that is already pasturized, then go ahead and heat the milk to about 170/180 deg F. This kills off anything you don't want in your finished product, that might have somehow gotten in to the container between it's pasturization and being on your fridge shelf. Then cool the milk to around 100 to 110 deg F, before adding in your yogurt (dry or from a container) for your fresh new culture.

If using a raw milk, you can just gently heat it to the 110 mark, to make it slightly warmer than body temperature and add in your culture. BE WARNED, YOU MIGHT GET SOME UNWANTED STUFF that was already in the raw milk, that will grow, as well as your innoculating cultures.

It might turn out stringy, unpleasant smelling or tasting or such. It's more risky this way. You can also just heat your raw milk to 160/180 deg F and then cool and add your culture. This usually gives you a more consistant finished product.

Just some notes to clear it up. Happy culturing! I'm craving yogurt now...

Heather
#4 of 5 Old 05-26-2006, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

If it's too warm will it not culture properly? It definitely made yogurt, although the jar felt awfully warm when I felt it (I forgot to check the temperature once it was done).
#5 of 5 Old 05-27-2006, 10:58 AM

Too hot, like a fever in your body, it's designed to 'kill' unwanted bacterias and such that are making you ill. Too cold stunts growth, and too hot will kill them off. So you really need to find that 'happy' range that is just a bit warmer than body temperature. 100 is just about right, but up to 110 is usually ok. Closer to 100 is better though, as we're usually about 98.6 on average.

Heather

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page