Egg recipes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have some good egg recipes? I get lots of eggs on WIC and am having trouble using them up. I already do quiche, omelettes, scrambled, egg salad, etc. I am hoping to incorporate eggs into more dinnertime meals. Cheap protein, plus I can get the cage free at Wal-Mart w/ my WIC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2003, 07:13 PM

Here is a simple fritatta recipe. I make all sorts of variations including onion/broccoli/feta, onion and spinach, really any vegetable combination or cheese works. So yummy, great for breakfast or dinner with crusty bread.

1 large onion, chopped
olive oil
2 potatoes, parboiled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
6 eggs, beat with a little milk
salt and pepper to taste
iron skillet or other pan that can be used both on the stove and in the oven

Saute the onions in the olive oil (be generous with the olive oil- it adds a great flavor). Add the potatoes and brown slightly. Add the eggs, salt and pepper and let cook on low until it is golden on the bottom. Put it under the broiler until golden brown on top.

You can add more eggs to feed more people.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:44 AM

A great breakfast dish that uses a lot of eggs is crepes. Beat 5 eggs together with 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup barley flour (or any flour), and 1/4 tsp. salt. Beat to a smooth batter, then pour 1/4 cup of batter on to a hot, very lightly oiled skillet and turn the pan to spread out. Turn once. These are yummy with maple syrup for breakfast, or for dinner stuffed with veggies & tofu, etc.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:45 PM
Banned

You might want to try a souffle (or pseudo-souffle), like this:

2 1/2 cups whole milk
5 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup all purpose flour
4 large eggs, separated

1 cup shopped onions or shallots
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry
2 cups (packed) grated cheese (whatever you like)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 11 x 7 x 2-inch glass bakin dish. Bring milk to boil in medium saucepan.
Remove from heat. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium saucepan over low heat. Add flour; stir 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in warm milk. Increase heat to medium; whisk constantly until mixture is thick and smooth, about 4 minutes. Remove sauce from heat. Whisk in yolks. Cool slightly.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Mix in sauce, spinach, 1 1/3 cups cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Whisk or (using an electric mixer) beat egg whites in large bowl until stiff but not dry. Fold whites into spinach mixture. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup cheese over. Bake until puffed and set about 45 minutes

User Tag List