Looking for stew recipes.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-07-2003, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is becoming a picky eater but I finally got him to eat Campbells beef stew. it has WAY too much salt but I haven't been able to find a good stew recipe.

Do you have any I could try??

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 4 Old 03-07-2003, 05:49 AM

You could get some beef brisket and marinate it then cook it all day in the crock pot with some broth and tomato paste and potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, pinch of oregano, salt and pepper, etc. I marinate beef brisket in a little broth (chicken or vegi), papaya juice (tenderizing), Bragg's liquid aminos, tomato paste, crushed garlic, and black pepper. Marinate overnight. Then put in the crockpot in the morning and cook it all day with more marinade, broth, and the other ingredients.
#3 of 4 Old 03-07-2003, 03:01 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Here is my family's fave recipe!

*2 lb of beef stew meat (I usually use something more tender - like kebab meat or something)
*1/2 cup of flour
*olive oil
*1med onion
*1 clove garlic (I usually use 2)
*2 bay leaves
*1 teaspoon salt
*1/2 teaspoon pepper
*1/2 teaspoon paprika
*1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
*1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
*1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
*1/2 teaspoon oregano
*1/2 teaspoon sage
*1/2 teaspoon basil
*1/2 teaspoon thyme
*4 cups boiling water
*6 carrots sliced
*5 stalks celery sliced

once you have cubed meat - coat them in flour and brown them in the olive oil (I have skipped this step before - it just makes it a little richer) You can do this in your big pot. Then once I have done that I throw the onions and garlic in and saute them a bit. Then throw the spices in and let saute for a couple of minutes and then put in water and veggies. And cook it until the meat is tender.
I usually use a crock pot and brown the meat and onions and garlic and then throw them into the crockpot with the water and just let it go for a while - usually about 2 hours.
I have also subsititued a product called GimmeLean - which is a meat substitute - in beef falvor and it tastes great and has less fat and stuff.

Good luck - it goes really well with buttermilk biscuits!

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#4 of 4 Old 03-10-2003, 02:14 PM

I just wanted to add this idea: instead of water or even broth, I use V8 vegetable juice (the low-sodium version would work) in my beef stew. It adds nutrition, and the flavor is amazing! And when I it want to be even richer(!), I add a little bit of beef soup base (Better Than Boullion is a good brand).

Happy Stewing,
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page