Ideas/recipes for beets & other greens - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-07-2003, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the local farmer's market and got a list of what they wld be having this month and next. However, quite a bit of stuff I am not familiar with, or seldom used them, except in one or two recipes. Could you please help then? I wld like to support local farmers, and nothing beats getting fresh veggies!
The challenges I'm facing include:
beets
kale
collard greens
mustard greens &
swiss chard

oh, and btw, they had fresh green eggs!

Many thanks in advance!
#2 of 9 Old 03-07-2003, 09:00 PM

Greens...YUMMY!!!

I like to pan "fry" them in olive oil and garlic. I use the following recipe (from memory) but deviate frequently:

1 bunch of greens (I usually use spinich, collard, swiss chard, or turnip)
1-2 tablespoon olive oil (of some other flavorful oil)
1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1/4 cup water
1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Chop the greens and their stems into bite size pieces.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan over meduim heat. When hot, brown the garlic (but not too dark or it will get bitter). Add the green's stems, salt and pepper and water. Cover and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the greens and cover and "steam" for about 3-4 minutes. Greens should be bright green and the stems soft. Taste and adjust spices.

Eat hot or at room tempature.

*I have also been know to use ginger in addition to the garlic and soy sauce in place of the water and salt for a more Asian flavor.

Expect the greens to be somewhat bitter. It was a surprise to me and took some getting use too. And don't over cook or they will get mushy and (IMHO) unpleasant. There is probably some trick to addressing this, but I don't know it off hand.

Good luck

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Banned

Yes - beet greens are excellent just when simply sauteed, as sadean describes. Re collards, we like to cook up a pot of garlicky black eyed peas flavored with a ham bone or bacon and stir in chopped collards at the end (let them cook 5 or more minutes). You can use kale or mustard greens (which will be more bitter) the same way. Re swiss chard, dh makes a torta (more like a pizza with an exceptionally thin crust that also covers the top) using chopped swiss chard, feta cheese, black pepper and olive oil - very tasty!
#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2003, 12:24 AM

The absolute best things to do with beets (the root part) is to grate it on a salad! Awesome, and a great way to get your iron. You will become addicted...
#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2003, 12:59 AM

Make beet soup! Saute an onion, add a bunch of chopped beets and half a dozen chopped carrots. Add garlic powder, bay leaf, water, thyme, oregeno and a cup of lentils. Boil about 45 minutes and purree. Add salt to taste and a dash of lemon juice.

Edited- use red lentils.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2003, 01:32 AM

When you cook beets don't cut off all the root or the stem or they will bleed. You also don't need to peel them before cooking, as the skins will slip right off once they're cooked. If you happen to have a pressure cooker, you can cook beets really quickly and easily - put beets and water in, bring up to high pressure for about 10 minutes, do a quick release of the pressure and check to see if they're fork tender. If not, repeat. If cooking on the stove, they take about 45 minutes or so.

Another way to cook beets is to peel and grate them (in food processor or by hand) then saute the shreds in a little olive oil and butter. Very quick and tasty.

Smaller, tender beets are lovely roasted, along with other vegetables like carrots, potatoes, and peppers, bathed in olive oil, salt, and pepper before roasting.

Mmmm....beets.....

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2003, 03:13 PM

On the beet theme- our old family favorite is shoe-stringed beets. Cook them as Jane said, slipping off the skins and shoestring them- I have a hand grinder. Then toss with salt and butter- my daughter has loved these since was 1 1/2 years old.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 9 Old 03-08-2003, 09:14 PM

I love kale just steamed in a cm of water with balsamic or malt vinegar. I drink the water for dessert! Beet greens are also incredible steamed quick in a tiny bit of water, just greens.
#9 of 9 Old 03-14-2003, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!
I can finally buy greens without feeling like I'm bringing home a turkey that I wouldn't know what to do with!
The beet soup sounds interesting, gotta try it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page