gluten and sugar-free baked goods recipes needed! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-08-2003, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are gluten free and I am trying to limit our sugar intake. Trouble is I want to make cookies and muffins and granola bars but it is really hard to find recipes, and ones that work at that. I would love to have a really healthy cookie, with little sugar. any ideas? any recipes would be enormously appreciated.
#2 of 6 Old 03-08-2003, 11:42 PM

+

Ooh, what a good idea, Bellasmum. I'm sorry I don't have any recipes to offer you, but wanted to say that I'd be very interesting in finding similar recipes.

Although, I did have a thought. Maybe you could use rice or potato flour? I'm not sure what other flours don't have gluten, or are at least lower in gluten than wheat. Hmm, maybe barley, though that probably still has gluten.

As far as sweeteners, have you tried stevia? I've yet to try it myself, but have heard good things about it. I think there might have been a stevia thread on this board recently; you could do a search (if you haven't read it already!). Also, if you're not cutting out sugar completely, you could use fruit juice to sweeten baked goods...it's probably better than regular white sugar! Or maybe you could use something like molasses.

BTW, are you looking for vegan recipes, or can you use milk, butter, etc.?

Hope this helps a little! I hope we get some recipes soon!!

icxcnika
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2003, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

hi icxcnika! actually we do use rice flour and mix in with tapioca flour, bean flour, soy flour...there's actually a lot of flours out there that are gluten free, it's just that they usually need xantham gum and guar gum to make the product stick together. Barley flour has lots of gluten in it actually.

I haven't used stevia yet, but would like to try it. The fruit juice is a good idea. we usually use cane sugar, or molasses or maple syrup.

and yes we are vegan.

hope to get some recipes too!
take care.
#4 of 6 Old 03-09-2003, 05:28 PM

I originally posted this recipe on another thread, & it's definately gluten free & no refined sugar.

Vegan fudge

1-1/4 cups maple syrup or fruit concentrate (you could probably use any liquid sweetener you want)
1 cup peanut butter, sesame tahini or nut butter
1 to 1-1/4 cup sifted carob powder (you could substitute cocoa, but the carob is yummy in this recipe)
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
1-2 teaspoons vanilla
optional-1/2 to 1 cup sesame seeds, shedded coconut or chopped nuts, or anything you think would be good in fudge
optional-8 to 14 drops peppermint extract, or to taste

Heat sweetener & "butter" until they soften & mix readily
Take off heat & add everthing else (but save some of the nuts/coconut if you're using it to put on top)
press into a 9" or 10" pie plate, pressing extra topping on top
chill-will keep in the fridge for 3 months

Note listed the last two ingredients as optional cause I never had them around when I made this recipe, & it came out fine without them-you could use a crunchy nut butter too. Also, you can pretty much use any size pan, it just may be taller or shorter depending on the size you choose.

I also came across this link http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedF...3775/snack.html
Has vegan recipes, but I've not looked at any of them closely, don't know whether they'll meet your needs.
#5 of 6 Old 03-09-2003, 05:39 PM

I have this cookbook- Allergy Cooking with Ease by Nicolette Dumke. It has many recipes for baked goods. I haven't cooked from it yet- but it has a large variety.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#6 of 6 Old 03-09-2003, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your replies! mmmm, that fudge sounds yummy, I am definitely going to try that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page