Any ideas for breakfasts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-09-2003, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is now 9 months old, and I am trying to come up with some new ideas for breakfast for him. He does not like oatmeal, and mainly I am still giving him baby rice and fruit. Any ideas? By the way, we are both dairy-free.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 03:31 PM

Hi UK Mom - my ds is 20 months old, and I'm trying to remember what he was eating at 9 months.

What I used to do, actually, is just look up in Dr. Sears' book what to give at 9 months & under, and choose from those foods. He's got a chart in there in the Baby Book - for the first year or the first 2 years or something. I went by that & tried different things in there & experimented with what he liked.

OK - I just pulled the book out here. Looks like bagels can be introduced from age 9-12 months. I'm thinking maybe bagels & hummus (?), but he doesn't have hummus in here (Dr. Sears' The Baby Book). Well, he says "spreads" from 12-18 months. Also yams, & sweet potatoes can be introduced at 9 months. My ds loves them with maple syrup. Also barley cereal (which your ds might not like if he's not likin' oatmeal).

I just pulled out Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, but I don't see anything about 9 months in there. I wonder if you could look in Whole Foods for Whole Babies? I betcha they have suggestions in there for a 9 month old. I don't have that book yet.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:47 PM

My dd is 13mos and we give her yogurt every morning. I feed her that then give her some cheerios or other finger cereal. You could get soy yogurt.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:05 PM

Also, it looks like Dr. Sears says rice cakes are ok for 9-12 months. Maybe try the whole wheat ones?

I'm also wondering about waffles at that age, toasted lightly, cut into teeny tiny pieces, with maple syrup. Is 9 months too young for that? Is he picking up little finger foods and chewing them? 9 months might be too young - it says here that 'pancakes' can be introduced at 12-18 months.

I think that soy yogert is a great idea, tnrsmom! Do they also make rice yogert (i'm wondering cause we get rice milk all the time but i've never looked for rice yogert).
Old 03-09-2003, 06:59 PM

My ds is nine months too. For breakfast we have tried waffles, pancakes, cheerios or other small cerial. He does not like oatmeal either. He loves to chew on a half of an apple, peeled. (But he does not have teeth yet) Really though, we just feed him what ever we are eating, as long as it is not a high allergy food, just in very small pieces.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:16 AM

It has been awhile since mine was 9 months, but I remeber he liked bannanas and I also would make mini muffins and freeze them and then take them out of the freezer the night before or when I first woke up. They are small enough for him to hold himself but too big to stick the whole thing in his mouth. He liked bannana or apple muffins.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:59 PM

My dd always hated all cereal, until I discovered that if I cooked oatmeal really well with chopped up raisins in it, then let it cool, it congealed into a cube-able mass. She loved soft things that she could pick up and put in her mouth - very soft peices of pears, cooked apple, mushy peach etc as well as tofu pieces and egg yolk (no whites yet probably). Yogurt is a great suggestion - I've seen goat and sheep yogurt if it's just cow dairy you avoid - but soy yogurt is pretty good too - I used to mix it with baby kashi cereal (really just pulverized kashi). Check out Yaron's Super Baby Food - she has lots of great ideas. Good Luck!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:50 PM

I just feed my babies what I'm eating. If you are having toast or a bagel, just share some with your child. I personally think you can't go wrong with fruit for breakfast and most babies love fresh fruit. If you are still breasfeeding, you don't need to worry about getting lots into the baby because at 9 months he will still be getting most of his nutrition from the breast. Foods at this age are more for the experience than anything else, so make it fun.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
pancakes and waffles are a great choice at nine months - serve them plain and cut them up in small pieces and they'll have fun eating them themselves. Don't give maple syrup or any kind of sweetener at that age. They don't need it.

If you are dairy-free, use rice milk to make them instead of dairy milk. If you don't eat eggs, use egg replacer. If you are buying them prepared - check the ingredients. There are a lot of additives in mixes and frozen waffles - look at your health food store for something pretty clean.

I am wondering if it is porrige in general he doesn't like or just oatmeal. I have some great recipes for cream of rice cereal and millet porridge etc.

He should be old enough for regular rice, millet or quinoa at that age. For breakfast, add rice milk and fruit. Also, try whole-grain toast with flax or olive oil or almond butter.

Here is a recipe for Banana Johnnycakes from my book Simply Natural Baby Food. I has no dairy in it. Again - don't serve with syrup. Serve plain or with a little flax oil. The bananas give it sweetness. If you have to, use a little fruit sweetened jam.

Banana Johnnycakes

These pancakes are just as quick to prepare as those from a store-bought mix.

1 cup cornmeal
Pinch sea salt
1 1/4 cups boiling water
2 teaspoons molasses or brown rice syrup
1 banana, peeled and sliced

Place cornmeal and salt in heat-proof mixing bowl. Whisk in boiling water and sweetener. Add bananas and stir gently. If batter is too thick, add a little water or milk.

Bake cakes on a lightly oiled griddle or skillet over medium heat. Use approximately 1/3 cup batter for each cake. Cook 5 minutes. Turn when edges begin to dry. Do not turn prematurely. Cook 3 to 5 more min-utes. Remove from pan. Keep in warm oven until ready to serve.

Yield: 10 pancakes

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 03-11-2003, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! There are some great ideas here - I look forward to giving them a try. I tried pancakers once and he loved them, so I will try that again and waffles. Muffins are also a great idea. Except for the fact that he puts absolutely everything in his mouth, keys, my hair, newspapers, etc. except finger foods, LOL.

Cathe, could you please send me the recipes for other porridges you mentioned? I would like to try him on them, to see if it is just oatmeal he doesn't like.

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2003, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is really easy. I put it on first thing when I get up and by the time diapers are changed and kids dressed, it's ready. Millet is a good source of protein and iron.

Millet Porridge

1 cup millet
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground almonds or sesame seeds (opt.)
5 cups water

Place all ingredients in pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 30 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings

These taste like cream of wheat but even better . . .

Creamy Rice, Barley, Quinoa, or Millet Cereal

In dry skillet over medium heat, toast 1 to 2 cups brown rice, barley, quinoa, or millet for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Grains should begin to pop. Cool completely. Store in covered jar if not using immediately.

To serve: Grind desired amount of toasted grain to fine powder in seed grinder or blender (about 1/4 cup per serving). Whisk together 1 part cereal powder and 4 parts water. Bring to a boil, and simmer uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until soft and smooth. Add more water if necessary as it cooks if it is not soft yet.

Both recipes copyrighted from Simply Natural Baby Food

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 AM

When my son was younger I can't remember how old, but I'd give him his veggies in the morning - he ate much better at that time and night time was more BOOBIE and some cereal to help fill him up for bed time.

Chelly

User Tag List