The Lentil Thread. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since we're all always on the lookout for good, inexpensive, healthful recipes, I thought I'd start a thread of lentil recipes. Please share your favorite way to prepare lentils! Here are a few of my faves:

Lentil and Potato Stew

1 cup brown lentils
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1 T butter or margarine
1 T olive oil
2-3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 t. turmeric
¼ tsp cayenne
salt to taste
ground pepper to taste
2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 2 c. diced canned tomatoes
2 t. garam masala
1 t. sugar or honey
water

Combine lentils, water, salt and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are just soft. DO NOT DRAIN. Discard bay leaf.

In a large saucepan, heat the butter and oil, then add potatoes. Sprinkle with turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cook, tossing the potatoes, for 5 minutes over medium heat.

Add the tomatoes, the lentils AND their cooking liquid, the garam masala, and the sweetener and stew the mixture over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, adding water if necessary and stirring occasionally.

Serve with a cucumber raita or a dollop of plain yogurt.

Velvet Red Lentil Soup

Injudra

And last but not least, the infamous, amazing, much-ballyhooed...

Piglet's DH's Lentil Curry
boil 2 cups red lentils in water until desired consistency (some like them a bit crunchy)
pour in one can of coconut milk (13.5 oz)
1 heaping tbsp of curry paste
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp of your favorite chili sauce (we use Sambal Oelek, available in the asian section of most regular grocery stores)
#2 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 PM

Ooohh! Lentils!

Here is my very casually remembered recipe for "LENTILS AND KALE"

1.c Lentils
1/2 to 1 onion
3-10 cloves of garlic
1 carrot
1 large bunch of kale, de-boned and chopped finely
cayenne
garam masala
cumin
Optional (if I feel like it): ginger, cinnamon

Soak and sprout lentils (if you are so inclined)
Saute onion, garlic, carrots in a good amount of olive oil.
In a large pot, add lentils and enough water for the lentils plus greens. Once the lentils are about halfway done, add chopped kale and sauted veggies.
Add spices, stir, taste, adjust, serve
#3 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 12:28 PM

I like to just make a basic lentil soup, and add tomatoes, little browned Italian sausage meatballs, and wilt mustard greens in at the very end!

So good!

alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#4 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 PM

There's a honey-baked lentils recipe that floated around on the Frugality forum for awhile. It's our favorite dinner here. Let me see if I can find it.

Edited to say: here it is, the third post in this thread:

http://69.20.14.30/discussions/showt...hlight=lentils

I usually add a big handful of greens to it; spinach is great, also kale. I've also tried adding carrots and celery and leeks, and that's good too.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 PM

dal--I think turtle has specs on her blog, possibly?
#6 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 PM

What can you compare lentils too. I have never had them. Are they like a kidney bean, rice, ????

I am trying to broaden my legume (They are a legume right?) horizon but I am finding it hard to be adventurous.
#7 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM

I cook yellow or red lentils in a big batch and then freeze in small containers. Later when I am cooking rice, I dump one of the frozen containers of lentils in the rice and cook the rice like normal. The frozen container which contains a little liquid is about 1/2-3/4 the amount of rice. My boys love it and it's a quick meal.
#8 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoSarah
I like to just make a basic lentil soup
alsoSarah, I know you're not a "recipe" kind of gal, but can you give me some specs on your basic lentil soup? I have never had good success with making it, despite my usual soup acumen. It always seems to come out flavorless, or, well, just plain ol' gross. I have to say, your additions sound yummy, so I'm motivated to try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amseiler
What can you compare lentils too. I have never had them. Are they like a kidney bean, rice, ????

I am trying to broaden my legume (They are a legume right?) horizon but I am finding it hard to be adventurous.
Amseiler, they look a bit like split peas but really have a taste all their own. There are several different colors, brown and red being the most common (at least where I live/shop). They are very inexpensive, though -- maybe that will help you being adventurous? So you could try one of the simpler recipes, like a dahl, with the knowledge that if you hated them you could chuck the whole thing out with no great loss. Or maybe try a prepared lentil dish from your local HFS before you cook with them yourself. I used to hate them, but now they're one of my favorite foods. HTH!
#9 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 03:14 PM

This is my favorite lentil recipe, even DH who really doesn't like meatless dishes keeps asking when I'm gonna make it again!

(I like my lentils to be total mush, if you don't, reduce the cooking time or don't soak them)

Lentil, Corn and Sweet Pepper Chilli

1 large onion, finely chopped
1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups lentils, soaked overnight picked over, rinsed and drained
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 (4 1/2-oz.) can chopped green chilies, drained
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro

Add all ingredients to crockpot and cook on Low for 8 hours.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#10 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
alsoSarah, I know you're not a "recipe" kind of gal, but can you give me some specs on your basic lentil soup?
Actually a kitchen-novice friend of mine fell for this soup and made me write it out in great detail for her, so I'm *so* ready!
(Though, I'll admit, I'm still guessing on amounts--- but the guesses are probably fairly good ones! )

Lentil and Italian Sausage Soup with Mustard Greens.

Converts easily to a vegetarian recipe.

About a pound of Italian Sausage, casings removed, shaped into meatballs.
Brown sausage in a very lightly oiled stockpot.

Add:
2 medium onions, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3T. minced fresh garlic
1/2 t. Sambal Oelek (Thai chili paste), more if you like heat--- but be careful!
1 – 2 T. dried thyme
2 bay leaves
A large pinch of nutmeg
black pepper (lots)
Use the onion to deglaze the pan. Cook all over medium-low heat until onion is soft.

Add one pound of dry lentils and nearly 2 quarts of stock. (I usually use mushroom Better Than Bouillon to make it, if not homemade.)
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.

Simmer until lentils are *very* tender.

Add a (14.5 oz.) can of diced tomatoes, and
3 T. red wine vinegar (to brighten the flavor).

Simmer a few minutes. Adjust seasonings. Add mushroom base if it needs to be saltier. Add stock or water if too thick.
Add 1 large bunch of mustard greens, torn (No sustitutions). Wilt in soup.
Serve with lovely bread.

These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#11 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 08:05 PM

For those of us WAAAY too wimpy for Piglet's curried lentils, here's a super-easy, less spicy, Indian curried lentils.

1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
1 cup chicken or vege broth
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. yellow curry powder

Heat oil in medium saucepan. Add onions and garlic, stir until soft. Add broth and lentils, bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add curry powder, cover and simmer approx 20 minutes, until lentils are soft and liquid is absorbed. Eat with brown rice, basmati rice, millet, couscous, etc.

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#12 of 136 Old 06-13-2006, 11:44 PM

Here's my favorite crock-pot lentil soup recipe It's really very free-form, depending on what I have on hand. The only real rule is 8 c. liquid to 1 lb. lentils.

4 slices bacon, chopped into pieces
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large or 2 small potatoes, chopped
and/or other root veggies, whatever you've got on hand - turnips, rutabaga, parsnips, a little celeriac.
8 c. liquid - I usually use 4 c. chicken or beef stock and c. water, but vary it depending on what I have on hand.
1 lb. lentils
Pepper
Tumeric
Bay leaf or two
Salt

Cook the bacon over medium heat until the fat renders and the bacon is crunchy. Lift the bacon out and reserve. Saute the onion until soft. Add the garlic and sautee for another minute. Put the vegetables in the crockpot with the lentils, liquid and other vegetables. Add big pinches of pepper and tumeric and the bay leaf (I use as much as a quarter to a half teaspoon of each, but I like things spicy ) You can also add the reserved bacon, or keep it to sprinkle on top all nice and crunchy. Cook on low overnight for lunch the next day, or for a few hours on high for dinner that night. Add salt after it's done, as salt will prevent the lentils from softening.

I've done it really lazy, too, skipping the bacon and throwing everything except the salt right in. It cooks plenty long to soften and sweeten the onions.

This turns out fairly thick, which is how I like it; it's still clearly a soup. You can reduce the liquid by a little bit (maybe 7 cups) to get a thicker lentil glop that's lovely on top of rice or quinoa. Actually, if you make it thick, you can always thin it down a little later with more water or stock.
#13 of 136 Old 06-14-2006, 12:33 AM

Great thread! I love lentils! I'm really frustrated now though because I was looking for my lentil stew recipe to post and I can't find it! Aaaah! Too tired to look for it now, but if I find it I'll post it. My favorite lentil recipe comes from the New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook though - it's lentil loaf. The recipe says it makes one loaf, but that would be a huge loaf. Either I don't measure right, or it makes two loaves! Here's my slightly modified version:

1 1/2 C lentils
1 large chopped yellow onion
1/4 C olive oil
2 C cooked brown rice
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C BBQ sauce
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp marjoram

Cook lentils in 3 1/2 C water until tender. Partially mash lentils. Saute onions in oil - mix with lentils. Combine with other ingredients. Press into an oiled loaf pan and spread extra BBQ sauce on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. (This doesn't hold together well as a loaf, but it is yummy. I usually serve it with extra BBQ sauce - it is great with mashed potatoes and steamed greens! Yum.)
#14 of 136 Old 06-14-2006, 03:33 AM

I eat this over a chopped up baked potato, or sometimes over brown rice.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 white onions, halved and sliced into rings
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup lentils
2 cups water or broth
1 package frozen spinach or fresh works too
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
black pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)

1. Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Saute onion for 10 minutes or so, until it begins to turn golden. Add minced garlic and saute for another minute or so.

2. Add lentils and water to the saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer about 35 minutes, until lentils are soft.

3. Meanwhile cook the spinach in microwave according to package directions. Add spinach, salt and cumin to the saucepan. Cover and simmer until all is heated, about ten minutes. Grind in plenty of pepper and press in extra garlic to taste.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#15 of 136 Old 06-15-2006, 08:31 AM

OMG!!! That honeybaked lentil recipe is the bomb. I can't believe how delicious it is and how simple the recipe is. I added spinach, too (two handfuls, would add twice as much next time) and it was great. Thanks for posting the link to that thread!

One question about it - for those of you who have substituted some grains in there for some of the lentils, do you know if only the "white" quicker-cooking grains work, or would brown rice be ok, too?

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#16 of 136 Old 06-15-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta

One question about it - for those of you who have substituted some grains in there for some of the lentils, do you know if only the "white" quicker-cooking grains work, or would brown rice be ok, too?
Usually if something calls for white rice and I'm using brown, I precook the rice about half way through.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#17 of 136 Old 06-15-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta
OMG!!! That honeybaked lentil recipe is the bomb. I can't believe how delicious it is and how simple the recipe is.
Do you just mix it all together and put it in the baking dish w/o cooking anything (like the onion) first?
#18 of 136 Old 06-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom
Do you just mix it all together and put it in the baking dish w/o cooking anything (like the onion) first?
Yep! Just chop the veggies and throw it all into the baking dish. It took like 5-10 minutes to get it into the oven and then I just forgot about it for an hour and a half.

And it reheats really well, too! DH and I just wrapped some up with brown basmati rice and sauteed swiss chard in a whole wheat tortilla last night and it was fabulous.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#19 of 136 Old 06-16-2006, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Put 1 cup lentils, 2 cups veg broth, and seasonings (see below) in large pot. Bring to a boil. Simmer 20-30 minutes, depending on how soft you want them. Add 2 cups white rice (I guess if you were to use brown rice, you'd put it and the water in at the same time as the lentils), 5 cups water, and 2-3 cups assorted fresh or frozen veggies (quick-cooking veggies like spinach or peas should be added a few minutes later). Simmer, stirring occasionally, until all liquid is absorbed. Check to see if rice is done; if not, add another cup of water and continue cooking. Serve as a main dish with a side of yogurt and fruit.

Herby Version: Seasonings are herbs like rosemary, parsley, thyme, dill, and a little garlic. Veggies are broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, kale, zucchini, brussels sprouts, and/or peas.

Curry Version: Seasoning is yellow curry powder. Veggies are cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, apple, and/or raisins--put them in at the same time as the rice so they get all plump. Peanuts are good in this too.

Mexican Version: Cook some diced onion in olive oil in the bottom of the pot before you start the lentils. Seasonings are chili powder, and hot sauce if you like. Veggies are tomatoes, bell pepper, and olives.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#20 of 136 Old 06-18-2006, 05:53 PM

:
#21 of 136 Old 06-19-2006, 07:45 AM

alsoSarah, I made your lentil soup recipe last night without the meat and it was incredible! everyone in the family loved it, and my 10 yr old ate 3 bowlsful. He said it was the best soup he'd ever had. thanks for sharing your recipe.
#22 of 136 Old 06-19-2006, 11:14 AM

Thanks, Sepia!

Glad that you liked it!

Now I'm all:

alsoSarah

#23 of 136 Old 06-19-2006, 03:01 PM

#24 of 136 Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM

Lentil Salad

My sister and I developed this one hot, humid summer day. I usually cook and freeze lentils, too- like a pp suggested.

(This will make approximately 4 servings, but it's easy to increase/decrease amounts)
Cook 2 cups of black lentils (or any kind, really!) according to package directions. Let cool.

Add diced red onions, diced green onions, diced plum tomatoes, diced broccoli, green peppers, grated carrots, whatever your heart desires! Drizzle some olive oil over the top, and if you feel so inclined, grate a hunk of parm over the top. Delish!

Clara

Mama to a beautiful little girl, born July 18, 2007
Eager for a VBAC some time around April 10, 2010!
#25 of 136 Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#26 of 136 Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 PM

another lentil soup recipe...

this is my favorite quick lunch

1 onion, chopped
olive oil
2 c. lentils
4-6 c. water
garlic (original recipe called for powder, I use fresh--2-3 cloves)
veggie broth (I use a veggie bouillon cube)
salt & pepper

Sounds boring, but is actually quite tasty
the trick to making this taste good is to really cook/saute the onion in some olive oil before adding water and lentils. the onion must be a dark brown color, almost burnt. Then, add 4-6 c. water, lentils, garlic and cook until the lentils are soft (I like them mushy). I make this in my pressure cooker, but it's easy in a regular pot, too.

I also add random veggies when I feel like it (carrots, celery, mushrooms, greens, etc.)

the trick is to
#27 of 136 Old 06-24-2006, 01:15 AM

I love lentils!!!
I'm in need of a good lentil/rice salad if anyone knows of one.

-------------------------------------------
Curried Lentil "Burritos"
With Cilantro-Scallion Spiced Yogurt
--------------------------------------------
(Makes 2+ burritos; Total Time: About 45 Minutes

FILLING: (Can be made ahead and reheated in micro)

Sautee in 1 T Vegetable Oil:
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 t. curry powder
1 t. jalapeno, minced

Stir in and Simmer; Finish with:
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup red potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup brown lentils
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
Juice of 1/2 lime
Salt to taste

SPICED YOGURT (can be made ahead and refrigerated)
Process; Stir In:
1 cup cilantro leaves and stems
1/4 cup scallions (green onions), white and green parts
2 t. fresh ginger, chopped
1 t. sugar
1/4 t. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, chopped
juice of 1/2 lime
salt and cayenne to taste
1/2 cup plain yogurt

TORTILLAS (don't skip this step, it is SO GOOD)
(can also be made ahead and reheated in micro)
Blend:
1 egg
1 T. milk
1 T. chopped fresh parsley (dry is ok too)
DIP; FRI IN 1 T. Vegetable Oil:
2 10" flour tortillas ("burrito size")
SPRINKLE WITH:
1/2 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
(I skipped the cheese when I made mine)

For the filling:
Sautee onion, curry powder, and jalapeno in oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, 5-8 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in broth, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils and bay leaf. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until lentils are tender, 20-30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the spiced yogurt while lentils cook. Finish lentils with spinach (no need to thaw it first), lime juice, and salt.

FOR THE SPICED YOGURT:
Porcess all ingredients except yogurt ina food processor until minced. Stir herb paste into yogurt. Chill until ready to serve.

FOR THE TORTILLAS:
Blend egg, milk and parsley in a pie plate. Heat a 12" nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Dip both sides of a tortilla in the egg mixture, then fry in half of the oil until golden brown on one side, about 1 minute; flip the tortilla over.
Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese and continue frying until second side is brown, about 1 minute; transfer to a work surface. add the remmaining oil to the skillet and fry the other trotilla in the same manner.

TO ASSEMBLE:
place 3/4 cup of lentil filling on the lower third of each tortilla, then roll the bottom of the tortilla over the filling to cover. Fold in both sides and roll to the end. Serve drizzed with yogurt.

Recipe from www.CuisineAthome.com April 2005 magazine

-----------------------------------
Hayburner's Lentil Tacos
-----------------------------------

(see notes at end)

Ingredients

1 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced (I use 1/2 tsp. ready-minced)
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed
1 Tbs. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. dried oregano
2-1/2 cups chicken broth (or beef broth) (you can use one can of Swanson's and it works great)
1 cup salsa (I use chi-chi's medium) (I skip this)
12 hard taco shells

Procedure:

In a large non-stick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and
stir for 1 minute.

Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for
6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Stir in salsa.

(heat up your taco shells while doing the last part of the above)

Spoon about 1/4 cup into each taco shell and top with your favorite taco fixin's.

We like shredded colby-jack and lettuce (i've also used torn-up spinach) This taco filling heats up really well in the microwave the
next day and is just as delicious as the first night.

RedDirtGirl's comments:
If you can't find red lentils, use green/brown ones and cook longer w/ more liquid.
I usually make this in the crock pot, with green lentils, using the amounts listed,
cooking on high until it's done....couple hours maybe?
When I do crock pot, I just dump everything in together at once.
I always make double and freeze 1/2
Add a little cayenne pepper if you like it spicy!
This makes great nacho topping too or base for taco salad too!
#28 of 136 Old 06-24-2006, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Great recipes, y'all! I have copied them all into my recipe folder and am looking forward to trying them each in turn.

RedDirtGirl, I have not tried this one, but I did run across it today and thought I'd pass it along. Of course you could add some rice if you wanted. If you (or anyone) try it, please let us know what you think.

Lentil Salad

3 cups lentils
Water
1 large onion stuck with 2 cloves
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 medium carrot, cut into 2 pieces
1 celery stalk, cut into 2 pieces
2 bay leaves
6 green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
Lemon French Dressing (recipe below)
Salt
Freshly ground pepper
Tomato wedges
1/4 cup minced parsley
Instructions
Put the lentils into a large saucepan. Add water to cover plus 3 inches. Bring to the boiling point and lower heat to very low. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and bay leaves. Simmer covered for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender but not mushy; they must retain their shape. Drain the lentils and remove the vegetables. Turn the lentils into a bowl while they are still hot. Add the green onions and the French dressing. Mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cool the lentils, then cover the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours to blend the flavors.
At serving time, drain off any excess dressing. Turn into a flat serving dish, garnish with the tomato wedges and sprinkle with the parsley.
Note: Any lentil dish should be well seasoned. Serve with hot or cold roast meats or ham.
Lemon French Dressing
Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste), 1 mashed garlic clove, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Stir and mix well before using.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
#29 of 136 Old 06-24-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
RedDirtGirl, I have not tried this one, but I did run across it today and thought I'd pass it along. Of course you could add some rice if you wanted. If you (or anyone) try it, please let us know what you think.

Thanks for posting this. That is exactly what I was looking for! I'll let you know when I try it.

RDG
#30 of 136 Old 06-24-2006, 09:11 PM

I will definitely be buying a bunch of lentils next time I'm at the store....hard to pick a recipe to try first....I think I've narrowed it down to the lentil tacos or the honey baked lentils. yummmm!

I like to make shepherd's pie with lentils for the base. I don't have a recipe. I make a really thick lentil soup with garlic, onion, carrots and greens in it. Then I top it with mashed potatoes and sometimes a little cheese and bake it until the potatoes get a little browned. A big hit around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page