Non-Breastmilk Formula Alternatives - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I formula feed my 12 month old as I'm not able to breastfeed. We were bfar for a few weeks, but were sadly unsuccessful. At age 12 months, he gets most of his overall food and nutrition from his high chair tray, minus the veggies. He still takes 4 bottles/day, and were we able to breastfeed I'd be nursing him as often as he desired, so I am not ready to wean him from the bottle. I am ready however to leave the formula behind. It's nasty, chemical-laden stuff and I want it O-U-T of my house. Here's my dilemma:
======================
Organic cows milk is to expensive for us with the amount of liquid that he still drinks.
Non-organic cows milk is not an option, as he's fairly sensitive to lactose/dairy AND it's just nasty.
Soymilk doesn't have what I *think* he still needs - I know he's not getting absolutely everything he needs from finger feeding, and without breastmilk I've been relying on the formula to make up that gap.
I don't think he needs 32 oz of soymilk each day, esp. with the potential soy issues.
======================
I'm looking for an affordable alternative to putting formula in the bottle. We never have juice, just formula, water, or the occasional bottle of soymilk. Any suggestions????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 07:50 PM

Have you considered organic formula? Horizon makes one version and I think that the evil Wal-Mart people are now selling organic formula as well. Formula is just cow's milk, altered to be more digestible, and with added vitamins and DHA/ARA - so I don't think any milk product will offer better nutrition. In fact, cow's milk can cause anemia in babies because it contains no iron and can cause iron to be poorly absorbed. At this point, though, if he is getting a balanced diet, I don't think there's anything *wrong* with 16 oz. of milk a day (goat's milk, cow's milk, soy milk, etc...)
Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

I had hoped to use organic formula for his entire first year, actually. But it's cost prohibitive for us and it's also hard to get ahold of here in the midwest (horizon is based on the northwest and it's getting more and more difficult for the stores to keep it in stock). And from what I understand, and please do correrct me here if I'm off the mark, but organic formula is only organic in the sense that the dairy product it uses is obtained from organically farmed cows. It still contains the same messy ingredients, preservatives and chemicals that non-organic formula contains.

And, MT is still very sensitive to cows milk products - he can eat yogurt, but only small amount of cheese. I tried using some regular cows milk formula about a month ago, just 2 oz of it mixed w/his soy formula and WOW it caused lots of digestive issues. So we have to avoid the cows milk.

My biggest concern is that if I stop using formula altogether will he still be getting enough of what he needs? He's not old enough yet to be eating a truly balanced diet and I worry about that.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337
I had hoped to use organic formula for his entire first year, actually. But it's cost prohibitive for us and it's also hard to get ahold of here in the midwest (horizon is based on the northwest and it's getting more and more difficult for the stores to keep it in stock). And from what I understand, and please do correrct me here if I'm off the mark, but organic formula is only organic in the sense that the dairy product it uses is obtained from organically farmed cows. It still contains the same messy ingredients, preservatives and chemicals that non-organic formula contains.

And, MT is still very sensitive to cows milk products - he can eat yogurt, but only small amount of cheese. I tried using some regular cows milk formula about a month ago, just 2 oz of it mixed w/his soy formula and WOW it caused lots of digestive issues. So we have to avoid the cows milk.

My biggest concern is that if I stop using formula altogether will he still be getting enough of what he needs? He's not old enough yet to be eating a truly balanced diet and I worry about that.
Can you get goat milk? If you culture it with kefir grains or powder, he might be able to drink it, since he eats yogurt. Goat milk doesn't get thick when it's kefir, it still tends to be liquid, so that might work.

Ann
Old 06-14-2006, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

You're the 2nd person who has mentioned goat milk (I've posted this question in the health and healing forum as well). I don't know the first thing about kefir - what's the process? Is it expensive? I could easily find goat milk in my area, but culturing it....that's above my level at this moment in time.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 AM

I second the cultured goat's milk suggestion. You could then add in some nutrient dense things like coconut oil, egg yolks, grated liver, fresh whey, gelatin, nutritional yeast, high-vitamin cod liver oil, acerola powder, infant specific probiotics. There is some detailed info here.

As for culturing the goat's milk, there are a couple of options. The easiest is yogurt. Basically you bring 3.5 cups of milk to 180 degrees then cool it down to 110. Put 1tbsp yogurt into a quart size mason jar and add a ladlefull of the cooled milk. Mix it together then add the rest of the milk. Seal it and put it in your oven with the light on. Leave it 12-24 hrs. You could then add in some of the other ingredients listed above and blend it up for a nutrient dense drink for your little one. HTH and good luck!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:54 AM

I also had to wean at 5 mo and I know how frustrating it can be.My son just turned one the other day and I'm in the process of switching from formula to milk as well. Just like you I want it OUT OF MY HOME forever. I found a place that carries raw goat's milk and it's not very expensive, actually it turns out to be less expensive then formula since my son never drank powder formula, only prefered "ready to use". My son drinks 3 bottles a day/5-6 oz per bottle. Plus I cook his oatmeal with milk, I cook his cream of wheat with it. Soon I'm planning to only give him 2 bottles since I provide him with other sources of dairy as yogurt, cottage cheese. Plus as I said I cook with milk as well.
I'm not sure if raw milk is legal in your state, maybe you can locate it. For me, personally, it's much preferable.
Also, my naturopath said that for a toddler goat's milk is a better choice then cow's milk, it's easier to digest and doesn't cause as many allergies or gas. It doesn't have as much B12 as cow's milk, but if your son eats egg yolks regularly and meat (preferable organ meats), then there is no worries of B12 def.whatsoever.

I wasn't clear from your post as to what you really want to do. Do you want to continue with 4 bottles? Do you want to cut it down? Don't take it the wrong way but I think it's silly to compare us to nursing moms, since b/milk is free and readily available. Also, it's so digestible, unlike cow's milk for example. So giving other animals milk in the same rate as breasmilk (meaning trying to have it available at all times) I think can even cause constipation.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not opposed to allowing him to continue with the 4 bottles/day. He takes one around 5am, another before each nap and one before bed. My concern is that what's in those bottles isn't appropriate. I dont' ever force him to drink an entire bottle if he doesn't want it, but he rarely leaves anything behind and takes the full 8 oz. I wish I'd known I could make my own baby formula, but I didn't. Now that he's older and eats table food readily, I'm totally ready to get rid of the formula and find something more appropriate for him to drink. I've tried putting just water in the bottle, thinking perhaps it was just the sucking/cuddling/mommy time he needed, but I was wrong.

He's also a big kid, at the top end of the growth charts even for ff babies, and I worry about his weight as he grows older. His father, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather and great-uncles all have serious weight issues. I feel like I've really given him a bum start, and I want to do whatever I can to lessen the blow from this point on.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not opposed to allowing him to continue with the 4 bottles/day. He takes one around 5am, another before each nap and one before bed. My concern is that what's in those bottles isn't appropriate. I dont' ever force him to drink an entire bottle if he doesn't want it, but he rarely leaves anything behind and takes the full 8 oz. I wish I'd known I could make my own baby formula, but I didn't. Now that he's older and eats table food readily, I'm totally ready to get rid of the formula and find something more appropriate for him to drink. I've tried putting just water in the bottle, thinking perhaps it was just the sucking/cuddling/mommy time he needed, but I was wrong.

He's also a big kid, at the top end of the growth charts even for ff babies, and I worry about his weight as he grows older. His father, paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather and great-uncles all have serious weight issues. I feel like I've really given him a bum start, and I want to do whatever I can to lessen the blow from this point on.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:47 AM

My .02 FWIW. If he isn't taking a balanced diet, he should still be on formula. There is nothing magic at 12 months. Yes, it's expensive, etc. I had to have one of my twins on formula because she wouldnt' nurse after I got pregnant. She stayed on it until about 18 months when she was taking a better diet. I think she was taking 2 - 4 bottles a day from 12 months on.

If you think he gets enough from food and just doesn't want water in the bottle, I would give him goat's milk or rice milk. I am not totally convinced on the studies on soy (I give my kids soy) but I am not so sure 32 oz of soy milk a day is healthy. Have you tried giving him less in the bottles? Maybe he isn't eating becuase he is still filling up on milk. Maybe try reducing it to 7 and then 6 oz etc and seeing if he'll make up the gap with solids.

Good luck

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I beleive the powdered goat milk from Meyenberg Farms is about the same price as powdered formula. It's not certified organic but goats are not treated the same way as cows- no added hormones, goat milk doesn't need to be homogenized, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 06-15-2006, 12:39 PM

I'm a big believer that if breastfed babies need human milk, then ff babies need breastmilk substitute. In some European countries I've heard it's the standard suggestion, and it makes sense to me. I'd stay with a formula of some sort.

-Angela
Old 06-15-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla
I beleive the powdered goat milk from Meyenberg Farms is about the same price as powdered formula. It's not certified organic but goats are not treated the same way as cows- no added hormones, goat milk doesn't need to be homogenized, etc.
I would be cautious with dried milk, though -- nasty things happen to the milk because of the way they dry it.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM

My son drinks oat milk, sesams/sunflower seed milk(homemade, almond, and rice milk.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:57 PM

Here is a fairly recent thread about homemade formula.

User Tag List