Veg low carb dish for potluck - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-11-2003, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will be attending a pot luck in a couple of weeks and was hoping to find a dish that would meet the various needs of those attending. Many are on Atkin/low carb and a few are Veg (eat eggs and dairy). It would have to be somethign to feed a crowd (20 or so) and somethign that "keeps" well. Any ideas?
#2 of 8 Old 03-11-2003, 11:31 AM

Why not a crustless quiche? baked in a casserole pan?
#3 of 8 Old 03-11-2003, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

someone's already bringing a quiche type casserole, but thanks for the suggestion.
#4 of 8 Old 03-11-2003, 09:58 PM

Maybe a taboulleh-type salad made with quinoa?
#5 of 8 Old 03-11-2003, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

LOL ... all the good ideas are taken. The host is making taboulleh. I thought of soup but wanted something easier to eat off paper plates while standing. Maybe use the idea but make it a chunky stew with little liquid.
#6 of 8 Old 03-11-2003, 11:41 PM

No beans? I have a great recipe for a veggie lasagna, no noodles, but it uses beans instead. Let me know if you want the recipe. It's super yummy and nutritious!
#7 of 8 Old 03-12-2003, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I'd love the recipe. I don't believe most beans (if any) are on low carb diets, but it looks like trying to meet all needs might be impossible. I'm thinking of something simple now, like carrots with ginger, but might bring a veg and a main dish too.
#8 of 8 Old 03-12-2003, 01:33 AM

Veggie pot pie? Use minimal topping (like thin layer of dumplings or phyllo pastry) and the non-carb eaters can scoop under. Freezes well. Use veggie stock, carrots, peas, corn, whatever. If you use olive oil or butter to make a roux it only takes a tablespoon of flour to make a thick broth with a bit of cream. Very tasty.

Veggie-Bean Lasagna

Ingredients:

Rinsed, Drained and Boiled Canned Beans (amount depends on size of dish and I use a mix of black, kidney and romano, I find chickpeas not the right texture/flavour, but feel free to improvise!)

Tomato Sauce

Sliced Mushrooms

Diced Onions

Cottage Cheese

Shredded Mozzarella

Cooked, Drained Spinach

Layer bottom of pan with sauce, and mixed beans (I also like to use a bit of the mozzarella here, but it depends on your preference for cheesiness!).

Layer mushrooms and onions.

Beans and sauce.

Cottage cheese and spinach (you can put the spinach on top of the cottage cheese layer or mix the cottage cheese and spinach together gently -- you don't want green cheese! and then add as one item.

Beans and sauce.

Mushroom and onions.

Beans, sauce, cheese.

Bake at 350 F for one hour. Super yummy!!!

Sometimes I mix grated carrots in my tomato sauce or do a layer of butternut squash mashed instead of the spinach and leave out a layer of mushrooms. It's very versatile. I don't like to use a lot of sauce or it goes mushy. I do like to pre-boil the beans for a few minutes just to soften them.

Enjoy!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page