Question about fake hot dogs... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-11-2003, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're not a vegetarian family, but we eat a lot of meatless meals. My dh loves the Morningstar Farms mini "corn dogs" when we're feeling junk-foody. I'm pretty sure that 18month old ds would enjoy them as a snack sometimes, too. My question is, I know that those corn dogs don't have meat in them, but do they still have the nitrates or nitrites, or whatever that creepy stuff is that's in "real" hot dogs? They do taste very, um, hot-doggish, and I wondered if nitrates were the reason?
Btw, are there any standard size fake hot dogs that taste really good? I'm feeling chili-cheese-doggish, myself.
Thanks!
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2003, 01:29 PM

we like the boca "sausages", they have smoked, bratwurst and italian.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:00 PM

They don't have nitrates/nitrites as far as I can tell, but (even though I love them) they're still pretty much junk food. They have artificial colors, and I've heard some kids can be sensitive to those.

All things in moderation - as long as they're only an occasional treat I think they're OK.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 03-13-2003, 01:40 AM

There are a few different brands of tofu hot dogs you can get - The Good Dog or Smart Dog or someting like that. Dh and dd lived off them for a couple months and had a hot dog overload. I think dd may be ready for them again, cuz she's been wanting something to dip in ketchup! They are great for toddlers - just pop in microwave for 15 seconds, cut up and they can dip!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the information/suggestions!!

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington

User Tag List