Which is healthier? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ghee. butter or oil?

I know that ghee is clarified butter....but does that mean it is healthier then butter? And where does oil fit in here?

So if u were planning on eating healthy from now on what would you cook with if you had to use one of these and why?

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#2 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cold-pressed, organic oils like olive, flax, canola, safflower, grapeseed are definitely healthier choices than butter and should be the first choice. However in certain baked goods where oil will just not give the right texture, organic butter although high in saturated fat is a much better choice than hydrogenated margarine which contains trans-fatty acids. What has worked for me in pie crusts and biscuits is to use 1/2 butter and 1/2 oil - you retain the texture but lose some of the saturated fat.

Ghee (clarified butter) is the butterfat that remains when the milk solids and water are removed - it contains 30 perent polyunsaturated fat and does not become rancid. I haven't personally cooked with ghee so can't help you there.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 04:49 PM

imo, ghee is better than butter. I would probably get rid of the butter in my house and only use ghee (and olive oil) if I could get it together to make the ghee.

It really depends on what you are making when it comes to what is "better". The temperature and length of cooking can change the "healthiness" of an oil. The typically healthy oils (such as olive)tend to be a bit less stable and therefore are not reccomended for high temp cooking as their structure is transformed to be less healthy at these temps.

I'll look around for some good references on this, my nutrition apprenticeship has floated further into history right before my eyes.

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#4 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 06:51 PM

I've read that for high-temp cooking, grapeseed oil is better coz it withstands "disintegration" and denatures at a higher tempt.

Most of the time, for cooking, I use expeller-expressed canola oil, or olive oil, depending on the tempt of cooking.
For baking, I use either olive oil, Earth Balance or organic butter.

Dunno much abt ghee, gotta read up on that!

OT: anyone familiar with macrobiotic diets? Why do they like toasted sesame oil & corn oil so much??
#5 of 7 Old 03-12-2003, 07:32 PM

I studied macrobiotics and macrobiotic cooking. They like corn oil for a couple of reasons - one they don't like canola oil because it is comes from rapeseed. There is controversy about whether it is beneficial or not. Corn oil is used in baking not so much because it is a beneficial oil but more because it is not considered harmful and gives a buttery taste to baked goods.

Toasted sesame oil is popular in the asian countries where macrobiotics comes from. It is proposed to be strenghtening and digestible. I use it often in stir fries and asian pasta dishes because of the delicious taste.

Macrobiotics also relies heavily on olive oil which is known for good health in just about every diet and culture.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 7 Old 03-13-2003, 02:11 PM

Thanks, Cathe.
That just makes me feel a little uncomfy abt using canola oil now.... maybe I shd switch to corn oil?? :
#7 of 7 Old 03-13-2003, 05:22 PM

You know as I was looking the info about canola oil, I was feeling weird to because that is my main oil for baking and stir-fries. I initally started using it on the recommendation of Dr. Andrew Weil who is a very reliable source and remember reading articles refuting the claims that canola oil was bad but I can't remember the details. Lately, Weil has been recommending grapeseed oil as his oil of choice because it withstands high heat best.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page