can kids eat too much fruit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-23-2006, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know this is kind of a backward problem to have in our society, but my 26 mo old dd eats an absurd amount of fruit. One day she ate four bananas in an hour period... four different people gave them to her, so lack of communication there. It hasn't ever been a big problem unless there is a lack of communication (so they don't know how much she's already had). The most shocking example was this past week, we went to a family lunch. She was running around with each grandparent, aunts, us, you name it. She woke up screaming two hours after falling asleep, all she would tell us was "it hurts really really bad!" I finally figured out it was her stomach, and after about 30 minutes she was okay. So the next day I called around and asked what each person had given her. Here is what she ate that night in about a two hour or less time period: 5 adult sized slices of watermellon, 1 quart of strawberries four peaches, and a few bites of chicken. For a 26 lb two year old, that is an ungodly amount of fruit. I know these people remember exactly what they gave her, because they are really aware of food, healthy eating, etc... I was a bit shocked at the amount of strawberries, but I know that's about right, if I gave her a quart of straberries (the amount of fresh strawberries that would fit in a quart jar) and didn't interfere, she would eat it all.
So all of this as background, how much fruit is too much? why does she eat these insane amounts of fruit? Am I right to limit her fruit intake? Do you think she's got some kind of deficiency?
I usually do limit the amount of fruit she eats cause it gets ridiculous. Aside from the fruit, she eats some vegetables, mainly peas, and very little grains. She does eat cheese and meat and beans. Nothing aside from fruit is eaten in absurd amounts. I just can't figure out the fruit thing.
#2 of 14 Old 06-23-2006, 08:42 PM

I have no answers for you but I did have to let you know you aren't the only one. My 32 month old son would eat only fruit, and pounds of it, if I let him. I'm curious to see what people have to say.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#3 of 14 Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 PM

I am interested in hearing some replies. One of my toddlers eats a lot of fruit and this past winter he would have very soft, almost diarhea-like, poops every time he had a lot of fruit. So I limited how much he could eat. This summer though, I've let him have whatever fruit he wants and he doesn't have that problem anymore. I figure fruit is full of vitamins (and fiber?) so why limit intake if it doesn't pose a problem?
#4 of 14 Old 06-23-2006, 11:38 PM

You might want to do some reading about the raw food diet and how good it is for the body. In my mind lots of fruit some veggies and very littles grains sounds like an excelent diet.

Laura

mom to 3 home-born children, wife to a great guy joy.gif

#5 of 14 Old 06-23-2006, 11:46 PM

I also have a fruit-only eating 3 1/2 year old. She is super healthy, though, so I try not to worry about it too much. I thought that I had read somewhere, though, that a diet too high in fruit could cause teeth problems?? Anyone heard that? I can't remember where I read it.
#6 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 03:03 AM

i have a fruit eater too,,,i let her eat all the fruit she wants,,,my thought on that subject is its got to be better than junk food like candy, cake, etc. ,,,,but i am also curious about what some of the wiser ladies have to say on this subject
#7 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I too, have a big fruit eater. I do consider it a problem because there is so much sugar in fruit. He also doesn't want veggies much these days. I think that the fruit might crowd out other foods, could create too much of a sweet taste preferenc, and give unstable blood sugar, spiking from all the sugar in fruit. Also, I worry that it good throw his internal flora out of balance. Plus, if he over does it, he does get a sick tummy.

I am trying to work out ways to limit it without too many meltdowns.

- KIttymom

Mom, , to DS(10), , , due November 3, 2014, and 4 's: 4/01, 7/01, 9/01, and 12/13. DP to .

****5****10****15****20****25****30***35****40
#8 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittymom
I too, have a big fruit eater. I do consider it a problem because there is so much sugar in fruit. He also doesn't want veggies much these days. I think that the fruit might crowd out other foods, could create too much of a sweet taste preferenc, and give unstable blood sugar, spiking from all the sugar in fruit. Also, I worry that it good throw his internal flora out of balance. Plus, if he over does it, he does get a sick tummy.

I am trying to work out ways to limit it without too many meltdowns.

- KIttymom
:

I seem to be developing a similar problem with my 1 year old. She much prefers fruit to any other food. Particularly frozen blueberries. This started when she was teething. Her fingers are permanently stained (at least for now LOL). Gradually we realized that she was really liking the frozen part of the treat, and got her to accept other frozen bits of fruit. Then other cold fruits. Then cold veggies (steamed peas that are cold). If it is cold she is happy. Seems to be a preference now even when she is not teething.

Texture is such a big deal to young children. Maybe it is the texture of fruit she really likes? Of course the sugar is also a big part, I think....I agree with Kittymom about sugar being a potential problem. Even though the fiber in fruit helps to slow the absorption of sugar and avoid those glucose spikes, I would still like to see my DS eat more protein and other complex carbs. She is not a carb eater like most kids! Although recently we did get her to eat cold whole-wheat noodles.

Anyway, just blathering here but I think your concerns are valid. And I don't think it's wrong to limit a food group if it is making your child ill. Perhaps she can choose a certain amount of fruits for the meal and the rest needs to be some of what you choose? Just a thought....
#9 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 08:25 AM

My dd is a totally fruitarian. She has eaten 3 bananas in a row. She has often eaten just fruit all day, nothing else. I offer other things but she just wants fruit. But I do have to say she's started to expand a bit more on her diet. She's always been very healthy so I figure it could be worse. I loved that at a bday party she choose fruit over the cake!
#10 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 09:08 AM

My kids are fruitiarians too
Here are my concerns with your child from what you described:
are these organic fruits? If these are conventional that is an awful lot of pesticides to consume.
I always tell parents ( clients and mothers that attend my moms group) if you can't afford organic everything, at least buy the organic fruit she consumes the most.
Also, yes that is a lot of fiber and that is not bad, but if she is getting a tummy ache, then I would suggest reducing the portions to a portion size for her age. If her bowels are normal otherwise then don't worry.
With that much fruit consumption though, is she getting other nutrients, at least in small quantities? ( grain or protein etc?)
#11 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 09:45 AM
Banned

I have a fruit lover too. I have to watch strawberries. He will eat a whole quart and get a rash. He's ok with normal amounts though. He is also effected by the higher sugar content so if he has them before bed he sleeps like he just had a gummi bear binge with daddy. There could be worse habits then friut!
#12 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 11:00 AM

Ok, in my family it is I who is the fruitarian (ds and dh eat alot of it too, but not 1/4 as much as I do.) Nothing else ever sounds good. I have to literally force myself to eat other food. Once in a while I get a craving for hummus or bread, but mostly I just eat fruit all day. I've been wondering if it's healthy. I don't know. All I know it that for a growing child I would serve the apple slices with some almond butter or include some yogurt with the berries, etc, to make sure.
#13 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 05:04 PM

My son is the same way. The only thing that worries me is a lack of protein. But luckily he enjoys pistachios, yogurt, and peanut butter as well.
#14 of 14 Old 06-24-2006, 07:34 PM

Adding some fat to the fruit will help slow down the absorption of sugar and spiking of blood sugars. It will also help the body absorb and carry the minerals and vitamins present in the fruit to the various parts of the body. High carotened fruits (and veggies) need the carrier of fat for proper mineral absorption. Think corn on the cob with butter, berries and cream etc. Apple slices spread with coconut butter/oil, berries with cream/yogurt, coconut milk smoothies, other fruits with nutbutters and so on.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page