Bobbi's 'My Favorite Hummus' Recipe!! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 06-27-2006, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spinoff from the 'tahini-free hummus' thread... I posted this recipe there, but since I was getting to the discussion late, I thought I'd make this its own post. I am so excited to have developed this recipe!! It tastes just like Bobbi's My Favorite Hummus!

1 15 oz can (~1 1/2 c) chickpeas/garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 T olive oil
2 T safflower oil
2 T grapeseed oil (or more safflower oil, or any other mild-tasting oil)
6 T water (just over a third of a cup)
1/4 t lemon juice, preferably fresh
3/4 t salt
pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, add more to taste

Peel and crush the garlic. Let it sit a minute. (Letting garlic 'breathe' a little before cooking enhances ithe bioavailability of its goodness, or so I've read.) Put everything in a food processor. Blend until smooth, and chill thoroughly.

Other options: parsley, cilantro, roasted peppers...

Much cheaper than the $4-5 at whole foods!

Bobbi's uses soybean oil, which I don't have and I don't believe it's the healthiest. I tried using all olive oil, and the olive taste was overwhelming! I've never tasted a dish with olive oil that tasted so much of olives! I'm sure canola oil would work well also.

About the garlic: how much you use depends on when you're planning on serving it. If you're going to be eating it right away, stay a little leaner on the garlic. If you're expecting it to last you a few days, 2 cloves will by no means be enough. Once, I made the hummus on a Sunday, gave my daughter some on Tuesday - you could smell her garlic breath from across the room! - and then by Wednesday it was as bland as anything! Go figure! The garlic seemed to have dissipated overnight.

Enjoy!

Aven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 AM

From one Bobbi's lover to another, thanks a million!! I can't wait to try this
#3 of 3 Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM

Thank you so much! I was the tahini-free hummus original poster. I went to the store and they do not sell Bobbi's hummus here So this is great!!! Thank you

Mama to DD 06' Partner to Sasa

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page