freezing veggies question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I order way to much green beans from my co-op. So can I freeze some. I am going to cook and freeze some pureed for ds. But what about for us? Do I snap them and freeze or freeze them whole? Or do they need to be cooked? I thought it would be great to make my own bags of frozen veggies when I can get fresh ones in bulk instead of needing store bought sometimes.

What about other types of veggies?

Thanks,
Tracey
#2 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I don't know about green beans, but I freeze cabbage and peppers regularly. I slice them into strips, put into plastic bags w/zip-tops, press out as much air as possible, close the zip most of the way, then suck out the rest of the air w/my mouth and close the rest of the way. This works pretty well.

I guess in general, I would recommend preparing veggies to the size you want them to be for cooking, so that you don't have to deal w/cutting them in a half-frozen state but can just thaw by cooking.

One thing to remember about frozen veggies is that they won't be good to eat raw, because the texture will change. But if you intend on cooking them, they'll be fine.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 05:36 PM

This is how I do it:

I usually trim and cut the beans to desired cooking size. Weed out the one that have spots or bruises. Blanch the beans in boiling water for a minute or two. Drain them and lay them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze. When frozen, transfer them to a plastic freezer bags (honestly, I just use the cheap ziplocks) and put back in the freezer. I usually use quart bags because that is the amount I usually cook for one meal, but you can use larger bags for economy sake. They should last for about 6 months in the freezer (a little less if you are using the cheaper bags).

Hope that helps.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#4 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 07:17 PM

Growing up, we froze green beans this way:

(almost like you do it, Sadean)-- cut up beans, blanche in hot water, drop them into cold water, then drain the cooled beans and put them in square- reusable freezer boxes, taking care to seal tightly.

Kind of off-topic- does anyone know where you can get those freezer boxes? I haven't been able to find them, so have been using bags.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#5 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 09:18 PM

I use the(what I consider to be) freezer boxes for homemade stock, so I think I know what you are talking about (cube shaped plastic box with tight fitting lid, about 2-3 cup capasity???). I get mine in the canning section of my mega grocery store (I'm in the mid-west, it's called Meijer). I bet you could get them at super store like Target or Walmart (I do my best not to stray into those places, so i am not sure they have them:, but it might be worth a look).

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#6 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 09:34 PM

sorry, double post:

#7 of 7 Old 03-14-2003, 10:24 PM

Yes- those are the containers I mean. I'll have to check a bigger store. I'm on the West Coast- they must sell them here.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page