Juice Plus? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 132 Old 07-10-2006, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a little embarrassed to even be asking but . . . is this for real?

I've met like 3 people IRL who take it and love it (and aren't distributors) and then I read something on a reputable yahoo group yesterday about it and how great it is.

My diet is excellent but I guess we could always use more fruits and vegetables (?)

Does anyone take it? What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 132 Old 07-10-2006, 05:43 PM

try a google search ...the info I found makes it seem pretty sketchy.
#3 of 132 Old 07-10-2006, 05:57 PM

I started taking Juice Plus after reading about it on Dr. Sears site and seriously my family went from always being sick to almost never getting sick. We've been on it for a year and a half now.
I have looked into other things, but the ones I found were all about the same price as juice plus, but without all the research behind them.
Anyways, I really like it and if I couldn't afford to be on it, then I'd still definitely give it just to my kids.
#4 of 132 Old 07-10-2006, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF2000
try a google search ...the info I found makes it seem pretty sketchy.
Yeah, did that and thought the same thing until I started hearing from people about its wonders. Just the way it is marketed makes me suspicious.

3timesamama, just curious . . . did you have a healthy diet before taking it?
#5 of 132 Old 07-10-2006, 07:03 PM

Well, my diet is pretty much the same as before I started juice plus. Sometimes I eat really healthy and sometimes I fall off the wagon. But I really don't get enough fruits and veggies, and my kids don't get as much as they should either.
So since the only thing that's changed really in our diet is juice plus, I'm really sure it's why we're all so much healthier.
#6 of 132 Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 AM

We have had good results with Juice Plus too! We had a relatively healthy diet but both of my kids were getting sick all of the time once I had my second. We added Juice Plus to the diet and we have been much healthier. We have been on it for two years, and the last two times we got on a plane for a vacation we did not come home sick like we usually do. I was completely amazed!

Remember that there are always going to be "naysayers" on the internet. How do you know that what you read is actually true? Look at the research and look at the docs that are recommending Juice Plus (Dr. Sears and his sons for example) and decide whom you want to listen to. There are a ton of false statements and lies out there about Juice Plus. There is also the truth. These docs that recommend Juice Plus are reputable and they would not put their reputation on the line to recommend something that was not what it is made out to be. Think about it..............

Go to the main juice plus website:

www.juiceplus.com

There are video clips on there from docs, etc. Very interesting. Also includes why the CACE (Center for Advancement in Cancer Education) recommends it (only one of two products they have ever endorsed).
#7 of 132 Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 AM

My PCP tried to push Juice Plus on me and after I did research I decided that it was a waste of money for me. I eat a healthy vegan diet and have perfect bloodwork, and there is nothing in the capsules that isn't already in my diet. Also, they aren't vegan - they use beef gelatin for their capsules.
#8 of 132 Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 AM

Just as a point of reference, the capsules used are kosher beef capsules. The company has tried to use vegetarian capsules but their studies show that the vegetarian capsules (so far at least) do not keep the product "safe" so to speak. The nutrients are destroyed with those capsules. With the beef gelatin capsules the product is kept without loss of nutrients. They are working on finding a vegetarian capsule but nothing has met their standards.

The chewables are vegan, BTW. And people who are vegan that take the product usually will open the capsule and throw the contents into a smoothie, juice, or just into their mouth and swallow with water.

And as far as the certification of the beef capsules, the kosher certification is the highest certification possible. Even those who follow the strictest of standards with a kosher diet, etc., can and do take this product.
#9 of 132 Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
Yeah, did that and thought the same thing until I started hearing from people about its wonders. Just the way it is marketed makes me suspicious.

3timesamama, just curious . . . did you have a healthy diet before taking it?
How do they market?
I had never even heard of them until my chiro. suggested them last week and I just ordered some for ds........

Erin-doula and mama to Ari Beat (4/7/03) and Eli Roots (3/27/06) angel.gif 6/09 angel.gif 10/09 and sweet Bodhi (6/25/11). Now growing #4 who we will meet in October joy.gif
#10 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 10:01 AM

It is marketed through independent distributors. THere is no advertising by the company on TV or radio or anything. Just word of mouth, one on one with people, and chiropractors and doctors across the country recommending it.
#11 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 PM

also known as multilevel marketing...
#12 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 02:13 PM

As expensive as they are, I can buy a lot of fruits & veggies for that price, and the fruits & veggies are going to be healthier. If I wasn't eating a lot of veggies, or had a child who wouldn't eat them, I might consider them, but otherwise, they're just too expensive.

FLDoula--aren't you a juice plus distributor? I seem to recall from other juice plus threads that you are.
#13 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagotchi
also known as multilevel marketing...
That's what I thought.
#14 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM

AKA direct marketing, which is not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of very reputable direct marketing companies. Longaberger, Discovery Toys, Usbourne Books, Natural Family Boutique all come to mind immediately, for example.

I'm not advocating JP AT ALL, btw. It just gets up my nose a bit to hear (see) the words "multilievel marketing" said with such disdain. Not all direct marketing is bad, shady, or otherwise a scam.
#15 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

What do you sell?
#16 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33
AKA direct marketing, which is not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of very reputable direct marketing companies. Longaberger, Discovery Toys, Usbourne Books, Natural Family Boutique all come to mind immediately, for example.

I'm not advocating JP AT ALL, btw. It just gets up my nose a bit to hear (see) the words "multilievel marketing" said with such disdain. Not all direct marketing is bad, shady, or otherwise a scam.
I agree! There are so many products out there that are direct marketing. I think the statistic is that 50% of people in the US are involved in it. Let's name a few more:

Avon, MaryKay, Arbonne, Princess House, Pampered Chef, Partylite, Wild Herbs, etc., etc., etc.

Multilevel marketing has a bad rep because of companies like AmWay. There are other companies that are good that are not like that at all. In fact, the true definition of MLM includes that the business is pushed on EVERYONE and you are paid for indefinte amounts of downline (usually). Not all companies that do direct marketing are like that. In fact Juice Plus customers are the bulk of the business - just customers, not distributors. The stats are 85% are just happy customers.

And, yes I am a distributor but I only became one to get a discounted price....nothing more.......I am not promoting my distributorship here at all......just answering the questions. If you'll notice, in my answer I sent the link to the main Juice Plus website......I do not profit from this.....just making sure that everyone has the answers to their questions.

And they really are not that expensive. They are a replacement for a vitamin. They are whole food supplements. They are not a replacement for fruits and veggies. If you are going to compare to fruits and veggies (which should not really be being done anyway), the cost is $1.33 per day.....how much fruits or veggies can you buy for that a day? One organic apple or two bananas? There are 17 fruits, veggies, and grains in Juice Plus that are guaranteeded to be herbicide, pesticide, and mold free.
#17 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM

We signed up for them and I use them sometimes. The one thing I don't necessarily like is that if I give them early in the day, b/c they're sweet, DS seems to want more sweet stuff all day. I try to give them later in the day b/c of that.

I am happy with their quality and I've never been contacted by the rep again - the shipment just shows up.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#18 of 132 Old 07-12-2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate
What do you sell?
Nothing, actually. I was a Longaberger consultant many moons (and two less children) ago, and they are a fantastic company, owned by women, run by women, with a quality product and ethical business practices. (How's that for a plug?!? ) It just really bothers me to hear a company like Longaberger lumped in with every "MLM" scam company ... like, say, Herbalife or Amway.

So, this is waaaaaaaay off topic, but I wanted to say don't judge a company simply based on the fact that it is a direct marketing company. Even Juice Plus. I'm not particularly a fan, but my reasons are more varied than simply because "they're a multilevel marketing" company. KWIM?
#19 of 132 Old 07-13-2006, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmama33
Nothing, actually. I was a Longaberger consultant many moons (and two less children) ago, and they are a fantastic company, owned by women, run by women, with a quality product and ethical business practices. (How's that for a plug?!? ) It just really bothers me to hear a company like Longaberger lumped in with every "MLM" scam company ... like, say, Herbalife or Amway.

So, this is waaaaaaaay off topic, but I wanted to say don't judge a company simply based on the fact that it is a direct marketing company. Even Juice Plus. I'm not particularly a fan, but my reasons are more varied than simply because "they're a multilevel marketing" company. KWIM?
Yes! There is a HUGE difference between a pyramid sceme and a direct marketing company! A pyramid scheme is where people at different levels purchase the product from their upline and they all get different %s off - so they are making more the higher they get. Also, usually, a portion of the money the lower people make is distributed between their uplines and sometimes the other people in their...group..or whatever. With direct marketing, every single consultant, no matter if they are brand new or at the top, all purchurse their products from the company (for the same price) and all money they make is their own. Other incentives and percents come from the company - not the people lower than them.

Anywhooo, all that to say: I don't know a thing about JP. I'm intrigued also. :
#20 of 132 Old 07-13-2006, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We use it, and love it. DC are healthier (and were eating a lot more fruits and veggies than I was) than ever before. Dd has asthma and it, along with Cod Liver Oil, seems to have made an absolute wonderous difference in her health. My kids don't get sick as often or stay sick as long as the other kids in the neighborhood.

The clincher for me when I was doing my own research was that St. Jude's research hospital gives it to their kids who're fighting cancer. On top of that are all the major medical schools who've done replicable research on JP with positive results. We'll spend the $100 or so a month for the four of us...we make it back EASILY in the lack of co-pays we'd otherwise be paying for doc visits for the kids.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#21 of 132 Old 10-29-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverdidiwants View Post
Also, they aren't vegan - they use beef gelatin for their capsules.
FWIW, The capsules are NOW vegan! Info just released over the past couple of weeks and being shipped to the consumers this way since June '06!
#22 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 12:29 AM

Annikate-I have many links if you want them. I've posted them before. I was a distributer until I did a bunch of research and spent alot of time on the phone with the company when things started seeming off to me. I'll share with you if you are interested.

Most of their research has been completely debunked. The benefits people see are from the nutrients that are added back after processing. This has been proven (before I get flamed) IF you google you too can read about the wonders :
#23 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 12:31 AM

#24 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM

We take it because a relative buys it for us. I don't even want to know how much it costs!! I know I would feel so guilty. We do the gummies. I have not noticed a difference in our health. But they sure are yummy!!!
#25 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
The benefits people see are from the nutrients that are added back after processing. This has been proven (before I get flamed) IF you google you too can read about the wonders :
I understand that some people may not like the product, but it is a HUGE thing to state that the benefits people are receiving are from the nutrients added back after processing! This statement cannot be proven true as EVERYONE on Juice Plus has a different response and everyone is different. Yes there is research and I have read the other stuff that is out there about Juice Plus and why not to buy it. But there are also many places online that talk about how Juice Plus has helped them. What about the thousands of doctors, chiropractors, naturopaths, etc., that are recommending it? What about the institutions that are studying Juice Plus and putting their name behind it? If the product was ALL bad they would NOT do this.

I don't want to start a debate, but it is not fair to only say it is ALL bad when there are two sides to the story. Everyone has their own thoughts and their own ideas about things. And everyone has the right to look at everything out there and then make a decision for their own health.

As I said, I have read ALL of the negative responses, etc., to Juice Plus but I have also read all of the positive ones. To me, the positive ones are much more compelling and I am willing to have my family be on Juice Plus because of it. I have friends and family that are on Juice Plus that have had very hard to deal with medical conditions and they have been able to come off of some of their medications and had less symptoms after taking Juice Plus and they have tried MANY things.

Again, not wanting to start a debate HOWEVER I don't think it is fair to only post the negative websites, SO I will post the positive ones that I know of:

www.askdrsears.com (just search for Juice Plus when you get to his website)
http://www.smokeysantillo.com/index.html
http://www.fromheretolongevity.com
http://www.bbbautism.com/dan_juice_plus.htm
http://strc.cc/pages/eye.asp

There are more, but those will get you started. The University of Florida did a study recently and actually published the results in their newsletter with POSITIVE information in there!
#26 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierratahoe View Post
We take it because a relative buys it for us. I don't even want to know how much it costs!! I know I would feel so guilty. We do the gummies. I have not noticed a difference in our health. But they sure are yummy!!!
Have your kids been healthier? Mine were once they started taking the gummies, and this year they have not been sick AT ALL, which is great compared to before. Plus, it is fruits and veggies with a few added ingredients that are from the fruits and veggies, so it is simple nutrition. Not everyone "feels" anything different, BUT then I have been asked "do you feel better when you eat a salad or an apple?" Did you feel better when you were taking your vitamin? But we do it anyway, right? Because we know we should. JP is not a miracle pill. It is a replacement for a multivitamin, and my children's health has improved immensely since we have been on it!
#27 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 01:32 PM

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA70273

Everything that I have read says that people have also changed diet and exercise-not JUST startred taking JP. I didn't say it was all bad-people are getting benefits from what was added back.

As I said, I WAS a distributer. After the research I did I felt it was unethical to continue selling it. I know practitioners who felt the same way so I am clearly not alone.
#28 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 06:17 PM

That is an interesting website, however, I don't think that people realize what the intent of Juice Plus is. Many people think it is fruits and veggies and a way not to eat fruits and veggies, but that is not what it is. It is a way to get nutrition from a whole food source rather than a chemically made vitamin. Nothing more.

And not everyone changes their diet when they take Juice Plus. I did not and neither did my children, yet we all have been MUCH healthier since starting to take it. I know of people who were juicing fruits and vegetables every day yet they had more results including no longer having anemia, etc., when they started taking Juice Plus. I know of children who have ADHD or other autistic type disorders that have more clarity and focus once they start taking Juice Plus. There are people with other diseases such as MS, fibromyalgia, etc., that are doing wonderful after trying everything else and Juice Plus was the answer. So, Juice Plus may not be for you personally and you can decide you don't want to sell it to people, but there are many people who do benefit from taking Juice Plus and for them I would hate to see them not be able to have it. Tell a mother who has seem clarity and focus in her son with Aspergers syndrome and him talking to her more than ever before, all because he started taking Juice Plus, nothing else, that the product is somehow not a good product! Or the mom who is now out of bed after having fibromyalgia for years.

Just my thoughts. I just think that everyone needs to decide for themselves and they need to see both sides of the story, not just the negative stuff on the internet. There are positive things too!
#29 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Here is another option: Vibe. Also, unfortunately an MLM product, but I think you can get it online. DH bought some from a friend to help her out and we used it for a month or so. I thought it was okay. But honestly, I didn't see any difference in my children's health, but they are healthy kids but not big veggie eaters by any means.

http://www.healthliesexposed.com/art..._25_4654.shtml

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
#30 of 132 Old 10-30-2006, 07:08 PM

Right. To each his own.

User Tag List