Healthy cake ideas for one year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all. i'm having a party for my ds on his one year birthday and would like his cake to be a healthy one. i learned from my mistake with my other son that their first taste of sugar/fat should not be a birthday cake...yuk! major throwing up on his first birthday is not a fun thing.

any good ideas that taste good, are healthy, and could pass for a birthday cake or cupcake?

thanks!!!
#2 of 3 Old 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM

For my ds's 1st birthday I made him a carrot cake. It had a bit of sugar, but was mostly sweetened by applesauce (which also subbed for most of the oil). The frosting was cream cheese and it did have sugar, but I didn't use so much of it that it was drowning in it. Everyone loved it, and ds totally loved it!! (I made his into a small individual cake using a 3 inch Wilton pan)
#3 of 3 Old 07-13-2006, 12:36 PM

For our (now) 2.5 year old's 1st birthday, DW made a whole wheat flour cake with maybe a tad of honey (?) and frosted it with sour cream

Believe it our not, pretty tasty, though a little high in fat. DS barely paid any attention to it anyway, so I'm glad we didn't go to to much trouble. And I made two SAD (standard American diet) desserts that most other family members enjoyed.

For the next bambino, I think I'll make a baked oatmeal cake - the raisins and a little honey give it plenty of sweetness. As far as icing, there has been a thread in the past which discussed that very topic, maybe a search would turn it up. I'm thinking cream cheese, too . . .

Here's the recipe for the otameal cake. It makes a great bkfst. too. As far as using different pans (clown shape, etc) I bet it would do fine with a little experimentation

----------------------

Baked Oatmeal Cake

1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup (or less) honey or organic blackstrap molasses
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I think I used 1/2 cup or more rice dream)
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS baking powder
3 cups regular whole oats
1/2 cup raisins (or other fresh, dried or frozen fruit)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Beat together applesauce and sweetner. Mix in all other ingredients and combine well. Pour into an oiled 9x11 dish and refrigerate overnight.

In the morning, bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. It's good hot, and even better chilled. Keeps for a week in the fridge.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page