Recipes for homemade non-dairy drink alternative? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-18-2003, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone. Does anyone have any recipes to make a non-dairy drink at home in the blender or other ways. My dd does not drink milk but LOVES her soy milk before bed and at other times throughout the day. We are going to be traveling to my parents house for the Passover holiday and there are quite a few items that are not kosher for Passover. I need to find a recipe that does NOT call for any soy, oat, or rice ingredients. That means that rice syrup and things made from soy, oat or rice will not work for me. Almonds and seeds are fine. I have seen partial recipes for almond/sesame seed milks but w/o amounts for the ingredients. Any suggestions or real recipes would be great!!!
Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2003, 03:39 PM

I used to make almond milk for morning cereals. I don't know about just drinking it though as it has little sweetness to it.

Take about a 1/2C- 1 C of some skinned blanched almonds, soak them in ice water (covering)overnight in the fridge. In the a.m. put in a blender ( water and all) and whip until frothy. Pour over cereal. I suppose if it was blended enough it would be smooth enough to drink:
Old 03-18-2003, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I could probably add some maple syrup for sweetness.
Old 03-19-2003, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make almond, sunflower, sesame milk etc. a lot.

Just grind up the nuts or seeds dry first. (I don't bother soaking anything). Then add water: 1/2 cup nuts or seeds to 2 cups water. To make it sweeter, use 1/2 apple juice, 1/2 water or add some maple syrup.

This works as is in cereal, smoothies, or baked goods but for drinking straight, you will probably want to strain it. Add the pulp to cereal or baked goods or use it as a facial scrub!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

User Tag List