Worried about toddler's eating habits - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-19-2003, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post? Anyways, I have a 2yr. old and I babysit another little boy that is the same age as he is. My ds eats great, it's his friend I'm worried about. He doesn't eat, he drinks... that's it. His mom told me he drinks around 20-some oz. of milk per day, and 30oz. of juice per day. Now, I know for a fact that the juice is pretty diluted w/ water - but still. His dad told me that he eats fuzz, which is true I've seen him do this, and that they used to try and get him to stop but they've given up now because he'll just pick at something and eat it and say 'yum, fuzz.'
I'm concerned that he could have PICA or aniemia since he eats very, very, very little. I don't know how to approach his parents w/ this though. I'm good friends w/ the mom but I haven't talked to her lately since she's gone back to work. I don't know what to say, and I'm afraid they will dismiss my concerns because I'm younger and our parenting styles are not the same. I know they trust me to watch their son though, and I also let them watch my ds as well. Any advice?

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#2 of 2 Old 03-19-2003, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think you do have cause for concern. Even pediatricians are not recommending milk and juice between meals anymore because the milk can live the child too full to eat. No more than 1 cup of juice per day because it is very concentrated sugar and virtually empty calories.

It's hard to criticize another parents childraising though. When I speak at parenting groups on nutrition, it is even sometimes a touchy subject. It depends on the parent - if they seem open or not. Possibly you could mention you heard that milk and juice between meals isn't recommended. Maybe you could just serve water to drink at your house and see if he'll eat some food. . .

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page