city or bottled water--fluoride question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The city we live in does not add fluoride to its water but has a naturally occuring fluoride content that ranges between .65 and 1.16 ppm (parts per million). The bottled water I can get is spring water and its naturally occuring fluoride content ranges between .050 and 1.2 ppm--so it could potentially be much better, but could be just the same, too. Is it worth getting the bottled water, or should I just stick to the city water? Or should I look for a bottled water source that has a consistent low level of fluoride?
#2 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 05:23 PM

Do you have other concerns about what is in your water? Like, for me, chlorine is an issue, as are metals, etc. So I think I'd look at the two and compare the other things that are an issue for me, and see if there's a clear "winner", so to speak.
#3 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 05:24 PM

Well, I vote for option #3, RO filter.
#4 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 05:49 PM

I don't know much about the whole thing (other than man made fluoride is nasty stuff). But I'd figure the naturally occuring fluoride isn't as bad as man made.
Especially since the levels are about the same, you might be better off NOT spending the money and drinking water from plastic bottles. Plus, I'd be concerned about all the plastic that will be used (even if its recycled) unless you are reusing your containers.
But then it really would depend on what else might be in the city water that you want to avoid. kwim?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#5 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 07:10 PM

I also would vote for getting a filter and filtering your own water, in the long run it's much cheaper than bottled water, tastes better than tapwater, and you have more control over what's in your water.

We bought ours from http://www.pwgazette.com/ and we're very happy with it... they have lots of choices including RO units and can help you figure out what's good for your particular city water.

Even if you don't get an RO unit, many regular filters will remove some fluoride (along with all the other nasty stuff they remove) and some regular filters are rated to remove significant amounts.
#6 of 6 Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really only worried about the fluoride, but I should probably research and see what else I need to be worried about! I'm not too sure about filters for a couple of reasons: 1) I've read that although they claim to remove fluoride, they actually don't because fluoride molecules are smaller than water molecules...not sure if that's true or not 2) We are only going to be living in this city for 5 months. Then we will live in a different city for 6 or 7 months before moving again, possibly to Europe or else hopefully to someplace where we can buy some land, and we would probably have a well if we do that. So a filter that is great for this particular water may not be what we need the next place we go, and we may not need a filter at all a year from now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page