does cheese freeze ok? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2006, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
eh?

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2006, 03:05 AM

I freeze hard cheeses and block cheeses like cheddar, mozzerella, even feta regularly. I always buy it in bulk and cut it into chunks, saran wrap and freeze. I've done it for years. Keeps a couple of months well that way. When you thaw, set it out on the counter and let it warm close to room temperature before putting it in the fridge. That will help you avoid the 'crumble' effect that you can get from fridge thawing your cheese.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:43 PM

I've never been completely thrilled with the way cheese thaws, so I'll generally only freeze it if I'm going to be cooking with it. I don't freeze regular eating cheese.

What works really well though is to vacuum seal your cheese and keep it in the back of your fridge. We were gifted with one of those foodsaver things, and the cheese does not get moldy if it is vacuum sealed.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:01 PM

I freeze shredded cheese all the time. Depending on my money vs. time budget, I either buy the 2 lb bag of preshredded cheese, or I'll buy a block of cheese and shred it myself. It's very easy to just take what I need out of the bag at any time. I've found that preshredded cheese actually freezes better - in that it doesn't clump together as much as freshly shredded.

I've never frozen blocks of cheese, so I'm no help in that regard.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I've found that preshredded cheese actually freezes better - in that it doesn't clump together as much as freshly shredded.
That's because pre-shredded cheese is coated with a non-clumping agent (and the reason I won't buy pre-shredded cheese). It takes seconds to shred cheese with a food processor.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:58 PM

I freeze both shredded cheese (which clumps terribly but I just bang it against the counter to break it apart!) and cheese slices (that are separated by the little deli papers). Both turn out just fine. The only cheese I'm not all that sure about is softer cheese - like bleus or bries and whatnot. Seems like they'd thaw funny. Who knows.

High-tech Hippie Mama to Dd1 (9/22/06), Dd2 (2/25/10) and Ds (05/27/2013). I eat Clean, cloth diaper, and spend way too much time online.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samjm
That's because pre-shredded cheese is coated with a non-clumping agent (and the reason I won't buy pre-shredded cheese). It takes seconds to shred cheese with a food processor.

Eeeewww, really? That's all I ever buy because I'm lazy What is it coated with?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

Old 08-24-2006, 09:54 PM

:

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
Old 08-24-2006, 09:59 PM

usually the cheese has flour on it. I know this because I buy the trader joes shredded moz.

But I was wondering this same thing!Azure standard has a great deal for raw cheddar in bulk I wanted to buy some next month.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:06 PM

The major brands use either potato starch, powdered cellulose, and/or calcium carbonate. Cheeses sold in packages as small cubes will sometimes be coated as well. I only buy my cheese in large blocks and shred it fresh. I do freeze my cheese and let it thaw by sitting in the fridge for an hour before or if I forget, about 10 minutes at room temperature. I usually buy full-fat cheeses, so they thaw very quickly due to the high fat content.

User Tag List