Is this raw milk source safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I live in a place where raw milk is illegal, but do know of cow shares I can get into. I just don't know if I can justify it since we don't drink all that much milk anyways and the fee for the one closest to me is $90 (there's one slightly cheaper an hour away, but then we'd be paying in gas and time! heh)

Someone recently posted on a local AP list I'm on that a local natural foods store had raw cow's milk for sale, without a cow share. The catch? It clearly said on the label that it was not for human use, that it was for animals only.

Not sure what to make of it.. part of me is excited and wants to pick up a bottle. Is that a sneaky way of covering themselves and allowing raw milk for everyone? Might it be less safe? I haven't gone to the store and checked it out yet, and I plan to, but I'm curious as to initial reactions to this.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#2 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's one way to get around the law. As far as I know, it's perfectly safe to drink raw milk labelled for animal use. In fact, a lot of mommas here get theirs that way.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#3 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I hadn't heard of that one before in other raw milk threads. Just kept hearing about the cow shares. Glad to hear its somewhat of a common loophole. I'll check it out, read the label carefully, and go with my gut on it. (Its extra important for raw milk cows to be pasture fed, right? More so than with pasteurized milk?)

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#4 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 03:32 PM

I buy milk thats for animal use only

Mighty tasty stuff
#5 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 03:37 PM

Well, humans are animals too
#6 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 PM

I live where its illegal too. I'm going next weekend to pick up 12 gallons of "pet milk" from the farm for my critters. Many states require farms to be licensed to sell raw milk for animal consumption. The law requires the farm to put "not for human consumption" on the label. One way to find out if its safe is to see the farm for yourself. The place I'm going next weekend supposedly has a modern milking facility and they have good references (many happy customers) so I feel comfortable with my choice. Try to find out where the milk comes from and inspect the facilities for yourself.

Kim
#7 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 07:56 PM

like kimbernet, go check out the farm and talk to the farmer. if the cows are clean and healthy, the milk will be fine. it's definately labeled that way just b/c it's illegal. we know people in another state that sell it as "cat-milk".

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#8 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, that sounds smart! I'm assuming this is from a local farm, so I'll try and find out where. If its a reasonable distance I'll see about stopping by, and if its too far I'll check for references.

Haha I just thought of something ironic. I've heard of people buying cat food and saying its for human consumption to get the sales tax waived. This is similar, in a way...heh

#9 of 10 Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 AM

We buy "pet milk" too, and when we do our local pickup, there's quite a crowd eager to pick theirs up as well.

Thirsty pets
#10 of 10 Old 09-03-2006, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Yay I got it The display for it was the best example of paying lip service to the law while simultaneously flipping the bird to it I've seen something to the effect of, "this raw, unpasteurized, antibiotic and hormone free, probiotic-rich (etc etc) milk is not intended for humans".. then said to see realmilk.com for more information on the benefits, and had a laminated brochure tied to the fridge. I didn't read it over but noticed weston a. price references.

still getting used to the taste.. it's different. not bad, just different and even though its how milk is SUPPOSED to taste, its almost scary drinking milk that doesn't taste how I'm used to it! I've been pouring it on cereal to get used to it. And I HAVE noticed that it doesn't leave that nasty phlegmy feeling in the back of my throat YAY

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page