ARG! Dh wants to go on the Atkins diet! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2002, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so tolerant of just about any lifestyle but I hate (HATE) this diet. When he broke this news to me, I just about decked him. I have told him repeatedly why this is just like drinking poison and it infuriates me that he still wants to do it. I know there is nothing I can do but to sabotage the diet so he will give it up.
You know why he wants to try it? Because some idiot at work has lost 40 lbs. in 4 months on it. I told him that I lost 40 lbs in 3 months eating a whole food, vegan diet. He doesn't care. This is easier, he thinks. I told him that the only thing worse (and maybe it is actually better) is if he would just quit eating and starve the weight off.
Ugh! I just had to rant. I will fix his disgusting all meat diet but I will not like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2002, 03:36 AM

I sympathize. The Atkins diet is atrocious. My aunt and uncle went on it. Uncle ended up hospitalized and Aunt fainted regularly. My aunt's cholesterol went up 30 points in 30 days. They both looked yellow, sickly, and sallow. They went off pretty quickly after that. They DID lose weight, but gained it back when they went off the diet.

If it were me, I wouldn't touch the meals he wants you to make. Make him make them himself.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:40 AM

Old 01-29-2002, 09:03 AM

OMG. find some good solid info out there for him, Atkins of all non-starvation diets is by far the worst.

Gross, gross, gross and terrible. OMG
Old 01-29-2002, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I have found that info. I just emailed him more articles at work. He is so stubborn though. He has another medical problem for which he told me this morning that he is going to quit taking his medicine. ARG! I don't know why this of all things is upsetting me so much. I have "bigger fish to fry" so I know I should just let it go and let him find out the hard way. I think it is that I worked in healthcare for so long that it bugs the cr*p out of me.
Old 01-29-2002, 03:38 PM

Can someone post sites with anti-Atkins information for me?

Laralou- if you don't agree with it, why would you cook it for him?
Old 01-29-2002, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I did it. He changed his mind about it. He said if it was going to bother me so much, he would not do it.
srain,
Because dh and I discussed this before marrying (we were both in our thirties when we met). I was a vegan and he was a meat eater. I agreed to fix it but not eat it. I look at it like this: dh's job is to work and bring home money for the family, but this does not give him the right to decide what I am allowed to buy or not with this money. Likewise, my job is to keep house and cook, but I can't dictate what I fix him for dinner. Believe me, this was probably the biggest hangup I had before marrying him, but I concluded that fixing 2 dinners is a small sacrifice for what I get in return. I don't mind fixing meat. I just mind that he was willing to eat such an unhealthy diet to lose weight when there are healthy alternatives. Not to mention that I am attracted to him just the way he is.
I know that the way dh and I have worked this out probably isn't how others would do it, but it works for us.

User Tag List