Organic milk - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-31-2003, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you use organic? What brand? If your in New England what brand and where do you buy it.
If you use something other than cows milk what is it, besides momma milk. What does your ped. think about your choice. Does it have all the vitamins babe needs. thanks ladies.
#2 of 11 Old 03-31-2003, 05:06 PM

Hi,
we use horizon and trader joe's 1% organic milk. I buy horizon at Whole foods/wild oats/bread and circus type places (some regular grocery stores have it here, but it tastes different to me and the expiration dates are always about 6 weeks in the future vs. one week for regular milk and horizon from health food stores - wierd). Trader Joe's milk tastes about the same as horizon to me, and is often a bit cheaper. I think there are a couple of TJs in Boston. I am very picky about the way milk tastes, and these two are the only ones I can buy.
We're not really on talking terms with our ped. so no help there.
I'm pretty sure it has all the same vits as non-organic milk, but I'm not sure how to answer your question about it having all the vits that the babe needs. How old's your babe? Many would argue that babies don't need cow's milk at all, and I am not sure which way we will go when my dd (4mo) is at that stage.
HTH some!
-Sarah
#3 of 11 Old 03-31-2003, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by adb252001
Do you use organic? What brand? If your in New England what brand and where do you buy it.
If you use something other than cows milk what is it, besides momma milk. What does your ped. think about your choice. Does it have all the vitamins babe needs. thanks ladies.
we used organic milk (horizon was the best we found, organic valley milk solidified if left unrefridgerated in a sippy cup for more than 30 minutes) until i read this:
http://www.mercola.com/2003/mar/26/organic_foods.htm

now after finding a friend that has her own cow, we use raw milk or cream (after having it tested to find out if it was safe)
#4 of 11 Old 03-31-2003, 05:18 PM

We started with Horizons but then switched to a local dairy that actually DELIVERS! I really like that my milk is local and like supporting local business'. The milk is organic, comes is glass bottles and show up on my doorstep every Friday. You can also get cheese, cream, yogurt, juice and these awesome vermont made wood grilled pizzas! Are you South of Boston? They have a large delivery area.

Pardon me while I puke.gif

#5 of 11 Old 03-31-2003, 07:48 PM

horizon milk here... love the taste!
#6 of 11 Old 04-01-2003, 06:55 AM

We have used horizon. We live in Maine and now I get the Oakhurst Nutrish B. It has lactobillus and acidophilus in it and they pledge not to use hormones. I have used rice milk in the past. When my son turned one I did not want to introduce dairy and alternated between soy and rice. My hubby made me switch him to whole milk eventually. (long story), but now we have to have him allergy tested and I suspect milk is the problem. My new little one is only 6 weeks but I plan on using rice milk at one year. You just need to be sure they get enough fat in their diet.
Corrie

Buy or sell safe scents for your home!! Check out Scentsy!! Start your own business for only $99.
#7 of 11 Old 04-02-2003, 11:48 PM

We use Soy milk, DD will NOT drink any type of cows milk, regular or organic. We have had three Peds and of the three two have been fine with it and one was sort of against it. DD will only drink maybe 4 oz of Soy a day so we have to add fat to her diet in other ways. Hope that helps.
#8 of 11 Old 04-03-2003, 01:46 AM

The organic milk I buy is Organic Valley. I buy it at the commissary but I have also seen it at Wal-Mart and other regular grocery stores. We don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joes .
#9 of 11 Old 04-03-2003, 11:30 PM

DH drinks Horizon when he is in the mood, but he usually isnt so he drinks Rice Dream.

We plan on having Seb drink rice, soy, and almond milks throughout the week once he is of age. He will be getting fat from avacados, flaxseed oil, and other stuff since we plan on raising him veggie and not givin him dairy for as long as we can.

Jenn
#10 of 11 Old 04-04-2003, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HollyBearsMom
We started with Horizons but then switched to a local dairy that actually DELIVERS! I really like that my milk is local and like supporting local business'. The milk is organic, comes is glass bottles and show up on my doorstep every Friday. You can also get cheese, cream, yogurt, juice and these awesome vermont made wood grilled pizzas! Are you South of Boston? They have a large delivery area.

Hollybearsmom- can you pm me with the info about this dairy that delivers. I live in Charlestown

Amy
#11 of 11 Old 04-05-2003, 04:02 AM
Banned

Yes, milk has all the vitamins a child needs, but only if the cows are exclusively or mainly grass-fed, not grain-fed. This kind of milk supplies lots of Vitamin A and D,whereas grain-fed cows' milk have low levels, and so you often see milk with these nutrients added (in a synthetic form, much less absorbable).
Pasteurized milk may lead to lactose-intolerance since the heating process destroys the enzyme lactase necessary for proper lactose digestion. Also, past. milk causes more dental cavities, maybe because the sugar lactose is not properly broke down. So getting organic raw milk from grass-fed cows that have been certified free of disease may be your best bet. If contamination is a concern with you, go to www.realmilk.com

Josefina.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page