avacado questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, as I venture into solid foods for 6mth dd and into the world of making baby food, what is an avacado? Fruit or veggie? Do you cook it first and how? I have read how great this food item is for beginning solids but I'm lost after that!
Help!
Thanking you ladies in advance,
Laura (who doesnt know her avacados from her a**)
#2 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 06:06 PM

I'm no expert but I think avocados are fruit...they grow on trees...and I always eat mine raw and my dd likes them raw also...shes been eating them since she was a baby.
#3 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 06:40 PM

Avocados are EXCELLENT baby food! They are a fruit. And they are the highest calorie fruit. They are very nutrient dense. They are also good for *ahem* regularity.

Do not cook the avocado. Just find a nice ripe one (skin should yield to pressure when you poke it). You can mash it up and spoon feed it, or if it is good and ripe, you can just cut up chunks and feed to baby in chunks.

My baby LOVES avocado. Don't know what we would do without it!! Fortunately we live in Costa Rica, so we get really good fresh avocados everywhere, often it's the only thing I can order for her in a restaurant here!

HTH,
Judi
#4 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 06:54 PM

I agree that fresh avacado is a great baby food.

Vegetable is not really a clearly defined word. At the grocery store many things are considered vegetables, as is the whole plant that produces food. I think most of us think as sweet things as fruit and others as vegetables.

Biologists define a fruit as a plant part that grows from a flower and contains seeds-- so cucumbers, tomatoes and avacados are the fruit of a plant, and leaves, roots, or stems are not fruits.
#5 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies! One last question, what color should they be? Black or green?
#6 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 07:34 PM

Either. There are many different varieties, although in the U.S. (outside of California), you'll probably only find Haas.

judi
#7 of 20 Old 03-31-2003, 09:12 PM

The black ones are Hass, which I prefer (can't remember what the green ones are called). They have a creamier flavour, if that makes sense.

Don't put unripe avocados in the fridge, as they'll never ripen.

Here's a bit of interesting trivia: "avocado" is the Spanish form of the Aztec name for the fruit, ahuacatl, which means testicle.
#8 of 20 Old 04-01-2003, 06:26 AM

Should the skin be hard or soft. When you live so far away from where they are native, you don't get a good sense of what they should really be like. Of course, when they aren't native to your locale, maybe you shouldn't be eating them much anyway, at least not according to Barbara Kingsolver, who considers the shipping methods very unhealthy for our planet. (However, maybe she would make exceptions for such a wonderful whole food and is more concerned about shipping hotdogs and chicken nuggets and candy.)
#9 of 20 Old 04-01-2003, 12:18 PM

Is it high in the good fat? I am looking for good foods to subistute the whole milk fat part. We use rice milk, but that doesn't have enough GOOD fat. Ds is almost 12 months! Still BF, but giving some rice milk, just wanted to add to the veggies and fruit he does eat. I know eggs are good source of GOOD fat. He loves them... Any others?
#10 of 20 Old 04-01-2003, 12:49 PM

Avocados are an excellent source of GOOD fat. Dr. Sears recommends avocados for babies and toddlers because they are very nutrient dense, so if your little one only eats in fits and starts, avocado packs a lot of good in little bites!

When they are ripe the skin will yield to gentle pressure. If you pick it up and it is rock hard, it is not ripe.

HTH,
Judi
#11 of 20 Old 04-01-2003, 03:00 PM

Avacado's are yummy, buy I cant get my 2 year old to eat them.

Twilight girl,
I am moving to costa rica in 4 weeks. I would love any info you can give me. where are you located? Are there any "healthfood"
stores there, for such things as natural shampoo, toothpaste etc?
if you want to e-mail me I am at sustainableroots@aol.com
I really want to connect with other mama's in the area. We should form a new thread on the finding your tribe page.
#12 of 20 Old 04-02-2003, 06:20 PM

Avacados are excellent baby food- just repeating what eveyone else said :LOL-- my daughter used to say "cado cado cado" and I'd have to make special trips to the store to get them.

I have heard they use a LOT of pesticides in their production (is this true? Anyone else hear this?) so I always go organic even if it costs more. The organic ones seem to have a richer flavor as well.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#13 of 20 Old 04-02-2003, 08:41 PM

Well - just can't help putting my two cents in. Avocados are the best first baby food in my opinion. Unlike rice cereal or bananas which may cause constipation, avocados are easy to digest and are full of the good fats that baby needs. It is also the eastiest baby food to prepare. Just mash a ripe avocado with a little water or breast milk until smooth. As baby gets used to it, you won't need to add anything. When baby is ready for finger foods, dice it up.

Either green or black avocados are fine. If not ripe, leave out or place in a brown paper bag for quicker ripening. If you stick a banana in there too it will really ripen quick. Avocado is ripe when you can press your finger in and lightly dent. If your finger goes thru, it is too ripe.

Lately, spider mites have been a problem to avocado trees (at least here in california) so it's hard to find organic - but try . . . it's worth it.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#14 of 20 Old 04-02-2003, 11:47 PM

Try to buy organic if you can.I have heard many times not to buy any produce from Mexico because of the high pesticide use and they still use pesticides down there that are illegal in the states.
i get a wonderful magazine here in Canada called"Alive" and it is a great source of information about eating and living a healthy lifstyle.they have a web site www.alivepublishing.com
My son is five now and still loves his avacados and yes the organic ones taste better.I think any organic fruit or veggie does
#15 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 12:15 AM

DS's nick name is "Avocado boy" ...he just loooves this fruit,he could eats 2 or 3 avocados/day if I let him.Like everyone here had said it's high in GOOD FAT.
And I second Auld reekie about a ALIVE magazine,I get them for free from Capers(wild Oats),I subscribed it to our friends in the state and they all love it.
#16 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well, thank you again ladies! She had her first solid food tonight - avacado! She liked it! Its so easy to prepare! I dont think I'll be ever buying jar food again.
The rest of the kids kept asking if she was eating guacaMOLY (thanks austin powers...)
Next time I get to the store, I will buy organic, thanks for the tip.
Take care!
#17 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 01:09 AM

Another avocado question! Lately, my ripe (but not too ripe) avocadoes have had black patches inside. I know they turn dark after being cut and sliced or mashed, but if they are dark when you open them should you still eat them? Is it just a "bruise," like you might find on a banana or an apple? Do you scoop it out/cut it off, or just ignore it and chow down? Also, how can you tell if an avocado is "past its prime"?
#18 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 01:35 AM

I, too, find my avocados have black spots inside, even when I buy the avocado and cut into it before it gets too soft. Where I live, I can buy 2 for a $1, so I'm thinking these are lower quality 'cados.

I must say the best avocados I ever had were on Maui. Mmm. I loved how you could just leave your $ there on an honour system and take what you paid for.

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#19 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 05:50 PM

Black spots are just like bruises on apples and bananas so remove them and eat the rest. An avocado is overripe if it is very mushy - you press the skin and your finger pops thru.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#20 of 20 Old 04-03-2003, 05:58 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an avacado addicted baby! Ds is 7 months old and only likes avacado. We've tried bananas, sweet potatoes, apples, pears and he makes the ugliest faces at them. The only one that he'll take more than one bite of is the avacado!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page