Meals on the Cheap - under $2 meal ideas - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 419 Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelysmommy View Post
he he i fixed my original post it didn't lay out the way i typed it out.

but here it is again, you can use sourmilk in place of butter milk in recipes.

*sour milk
1Tbsp lemon juice or key lime (we have a key lime tree so we replace all lemon juice for this)
enough milk to make that 1 C
let sit 15 min
You can also use vinegar and it only needs to sit for 5 minutes or so.

Heidi
#182 of 419 Old 09-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or you can just use plain milk in baking instead of sour or buttermilk and use baking powder instead of baking soda, most of the time. Then, the cream of tartar in the baking soda is acting as your acid.

Oh, btw, anyone using baking powder who doesn't like aluminum in your food, either check the label very carefully and get a brand that doesn't contain aluminum or use a combination of baking soda and cream of tartar instead of the baking powder to ensure you're not getting anything in your food you don't want.
#183 of 419 Old 09-19-2007, 03:16 PM

Cheap meals- (I figure the price by how much it will cost to serve me, dp, and our 3yo. So meals that make enough for two nights, the cost gets divided in two. And I don't add in the cost of oil to saute, or a tbsp of lemon juice. I'm doing well just to add up the major ingredients!)

Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetar...II/Detail.aspx
I don't use the walnuts. I used brewers yeast in place of the vegemite. I also use homemade stock out of scraps, so I don't that cost in.
It ends up costing less than 2 dollars to make (about $1.70) and easily makes 2 meals for us.

Veggie pot pie
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Veggie-Pot-Pie/Detail.aspx
as is, the recipe costs about $4 to make (I use frozen corn/peas instead of cauliflower and green beans), but it easily makes 4 meals for us. I make the whole recipe because dp LOVES it even as leftovers for days.
So, halve it, and you have 2 meals for $2 (remember, one "meal" is enough to feed dp, myself, and our 3yo).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#184 of 419 Old 09-19-2007, 04:37 PM

Does the OP mean $2 for the whole meal, or $2 per person? That makes a difference

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#185 of 419 Old 09-19-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
Does the OP mean $2 for the whole meal, or $2 per person? That makes a difference
I don't know either, that's why I haven't posted a recipe!

Single mom of 2 boys
#186 of 419 Old 09-20-2007, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_mama89 View Post
I would just interpret it however you want. I took $2 to fit my own family - feeding me, DH (big eater), and DS (9 months old). Feeding a family of 6 or more, however, and you'll probably have to double up many of the recipes in this thread.

Here's one I made tonight:

Vermont Curry Mix - $1.80 (this is the kind that comes in a "brick" like S&B)
Chicken breast - I use about $1 worth in this dish.
2 Potatoes - 50 cents?
2 Carrots - 10 cents?
Onion - 10 cents?
Brown rice - 25 cents (I pay $1 for a 1 lb bag)

Total: $3.75

However, this easily makes enough for 2 dinners for my family so divide by 2 and you get less than $2 per meal.
#187 of 419 Old 09-20-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundAbout View Post
I would just interpret it however you want. I took $2 to fit my own family - feeding me, DH (big eater), and DS (9 months old). Feeding a family of 6 or more, however, and you'll probably have to double up many of the recipes in this thread.

Here's one I made tonight:

Vermont Curry Mix - $1.80 (this is the kind that comes in a "brick" like S&B)
Chicken breast - I use about $1 worth in this dish.
2 Potatoes - 50 cents?
2 Carrots - 10 cents?
Onion - 10 cents?
Brown rice - 25 cents (I pay $1 for a 1 lb bag)

Total: $3.75

However, this easily makes enough for 2 dinners for my family so divide by 2 and you get less than $2 per meal.
Okay, so you're doing $2 for the whole meal, not $2 per serving. That makes sense because $2 per serving isn't really that frugal. I'll think about it and see if I have some ideas...

Single mom of 2 boys
#188 of 419 Old 09-20-2007, 11:04 AM

It's definitely $2 per meal. It was posted in the thread somewhere before it got long.
#189 of 419 Old 09-21-2007, 05:15 AM

How about a tin of tuna mixed with a dollop of mayo and some cut-up cucumber for crunch over warm, oiled pasta? It's one of my favourites!
#190 of 419 Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 AM

Oh, how my pregnant tummy misses tuna!!! :

Don'tcha always want what you can't have? :
#191 of 419 Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 AM

Scrambled rice - it's Evie's favorite lunch

I use leftovers from the night before, so I don't know how to figure the cost, but I know it's cheap!

Melt a little butter in a pan. Add a couple spoonfuls of leftover cooked rice. If you have leftover meat or veggies, you can chop them finely and add them in, too. When they are hot, beat a couple eggs and pour over top. Let sit for a minute, then scramble and cook until done. (I like my eggs overcooked!)

If I use leftover stirfry, I add a little soy sauce. If I use leftover fajitas, I add salsa. One of our favorites is just plain broccoli and rice, with some cheese sprinkled on top. It occurs to me that I would like to try it with my leftover blackbeans and rice, but we ate the rest for breakfast!
#192 of 419 Old 09-22-2007, 12:46 AM

My new favorite cheap meal is:

Mushroom Broccoli Chicken
1 bag of frozen chicken tenderloins from Aldi's - $5.99 a bag and it has about 6 servings so that's about $1 a serving.
1 bag of frozen broccoli - $1 and it has 3 servings so that's .33 a serving
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup - .50 a can at Aldi's

So that's a total of $2.33 (And when I say a serving - I mean a meal for both myself and my husband. The baby eats off of my plate.)

Plop the chicken, soup and broccoli into a pan. Put into an oven at 375 degrees for about an hour. It's delicious!
#193 of 419 Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Here I was coming in to post my lentil recipe, okay so you have that one already.

Another favorite of mine is not the healthiest but the reason why I make it is because it reminds me of my grandma who use to make it all time during lent. Oh we only eat it during lent.

tuna patties. Canned tuna (4 for $1.00 during lent. Its always a loss leader item), bread crumbs, one egg, and seasoning, shape into 4 patties and fry.

Mac and cheese boxes (4 for $1.00 durning lent)

Canned Peas, 33 cents

stewed tomatoes in crackers which consist of stewed tomatoes, crushed up soda crackers and seasoning. I can get the tomatoes for 40 cents without a coupon and crackers 1/2 of a sleeve which cost 12 /12 cents.

So this meal is under a $1.00 during lent.

I'm SO glad to see some prices listed. I was really wondering how people make a meal that costs less than $2, and now I understand. I realize that these are prices that you only see once a year, but even so... our sale price for Mac and Cheese is $1.25, canned peas around $1, same with tuna. Particularly with the tuna, $1 is a huge sale! My costs are in Canadian money, but with parity that's not as significant a difference. We've discussed this in another thread, so my intention isn't to derail, just to comment!

Erica
#194 of 419 Old 09-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Erica I feell your pain. I grew up on the Canadian border. When I was young we did most of our shopping in BC and bought all of our gas there...then things changed. Can you see how old I am.

My parents still attend church in BC so we go with them a lot (well my dad now my mom passes away in July). I am shocked by the prices in the grocery store : How do you all make it? And the housing cost :

The only things we buy now in BC are the things we cannot get in the USA.

Heidi
#195 of 419 Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 AM

Here's one of my favorites. The base of this recipe is around $2 but gets more expensive depending on what you add. It makes a lot!

Asian Pork Filling

1 lb ground pork (on sale, 99 cents)
2 Tbs minced garlic (10 cents?)
1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes from baking section (30 cents)
2 Tbs. soy sauce (10 cents?)
1/3 cup lime juice (40 cents?)
1 tsp ginger (pennies?)

Toast coconut, and set aside. Brown ground pork with garlic and then toss with lime juice, soy sauce, and coconut and ginger.

Depending on your budget and what you have on hand you can add:

chopped onions or shallots
chopped chili peppers
chopped peanuts
fresh ginger
mint
bean sprouts

We eat this as a filling inside fresh lettuce or cabbage leaves. Very tasty!
#196 of 419 Old 09-25-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinmom View Post
I would love a recipe for pizza dough.
I use the one from hillbillyhousewife.com.
For the Crust:

2-1/2 cups unbleached flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon dry yeast
* 3/4 cup water
* 3 tablespoons canola oil

I also use her sauce recipe
For the Sauce:

8 ounce can of "no salt added" tomato sauce
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning OR 1/2 teaspoon basil & 1/4 teaspoon oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon olive oil for flavoring (optional)

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

#197 of 419 Old 09-25-2007, 11:36 AM

Here's one I just made for about $2.00 including everything (dunno if it's already on the list):

Eggplant 'Lasagna'

1 medium to large eggplant (about 1 lb): $1.00
About 2 cups of tomato sauce (canned, jarred, or homemade - I used homemade made from free tomatoes, so this didn't cost me anything)
1/2 a package of mozzarella cheese: $.75

Items already in the cupboard/fridge:
about 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs mixed with seasonings of your choice
About 3 egg whites whisked with 2 tbsp water (negligible)
Margarine, oil, or non-stick cooking spray
About 3 tbsp grated parmesan

Cut off ends of eggplant and slice very thin. Dip into egg white mixture then coat with breadcrumbs. Fry in heated pan (when using oil, not much is needed) until brown and crispy. In a glass baking dish (I used a 9x9), spread about 1/2 cup of your sauce into the bottom, then lay your eggplant slices down in layers. Cover each layer with a thin coat of sauce before laying down another slice of eggplant, then cover the top with the remainder of the sauce and top with the grated parmesan and cover with mozzarella. Bake at about 400 for about 15 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly. Serve alone or on top of pasta.

*You could also top each layer with ricotta cheese to make it more 'lasagna-like.'
#198 of 419 Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 PM

Great meals! Thank you!

Angie, mama to Anna '01, Mia '04, and Leif '08 and angel1.gif '03  angel1.gif'07 angel1.gif'12.Expecting someone new in 7/13! pos.gif

h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif bftoddler.gif homeschool.gif  novaxnocirc.gif

#199 of 419 Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM

One of our favorite meals is right around 2 dollars.

Stir-fried tofu & green beans.

We use the organic tofu from Trader Joes - 99cents per block.
Frozen french green beans from Trader Joes - $2/bag, maybe? We use about 1/2 bag.

Some rice, we buy in bulk, so I don't know how much 1-1/2 c of (precooked) rice is.

Cube tofu and stir-fry in a small amount of oil over high heat until nice & crispy. Add in the green beans, some season salt and soy sauce, keep stir-frying until done.

Serve over rice.

Delicious!
#200 of 419 Old 10-31-2007, 03:22 PM

I don't have this priced out, but it's cheap and I am not usually a great cheap cook, so I thought I'd share:

Chili

First, soak 1 cup of bulghur in 1 cup of liquid. Tomato juice is great, water is fine. While that is soaking, dice up an onion about about four cloves of garlic, then cook them up in some olive oil until they're soft. When they're soft, add a big can of tomatoes (crushed, or whole ones crushed up w/ your hand) with the juice and three smaller cans of beans. I used red beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans this last time and it was very good. Add all the bean liquid as well. Then add the bulghur, some salt and pepper, and whatever else you have around for spices (cumin, chili pepper, cayenne, etc.). Simmer for a bit and voila, dinner (and two days of lunch, at my house).

Good with crumbled cheese in it and crackers or cornbread if you've got it.
#201 of 419 Old 11-13-2007, 12:47 PM

a bump and a post

a great sauce for cheap is

1 can cream of whatever soup (.89?)
1 cup of mayo (.40 ?)
1 tsp curry ( or more to taste) (pennies)
leftover cooked white meat (optional)
cooked rice (.50)

mix together and heat. serve over rice. we also add in chicken and brocolli. i know it sounds weird cause of the mayo, but it is great! not so healthy, but dh loves this. lasts for two meals and lunch.

another weird sounding one is
2 cans cream of celery (1.50)
1 can rotel (.89)
italian seasoning (pennies)
1 chopped onion (.20)
butter (.10 ?)

saute onion (garlic too if you have it) in butter, mix in the rest and heat through, add cooked chicken or shrimp (optional) and pour over cooked rice. spicy and delicious. this usually lasts us (2 adults, kiddo won't eat, too spicy) two meals and then some for my lunch.

don't know the exact cost, but i know they are pretty cheap!! and tasty to boot!!!
#202 of 419 Old 11-13-2007, 07:20 PM

For breakfast I like to saute some chopped onion in a bit of butter in a skillet until soft but not brown, then add some leftover rice and continue sauteeing. Next add a couple beaten eggs and stir until done. Serve with soy sauce. This meal goes well with bacon , applesauce and toast.
#203 of 419 Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 PM

This is a new one I just tried out & its yummy. I doubled everything but the beans & the spices. As written it serves four.

Italian White Bean Soup

1 Tbs extra virgin Olive Oil,
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, diced
2 15 oz cans white kidney beans, undrained (use dried beans cooked insetad of canned)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 tsp sage, dried
1/2 tsp basil, dried
salt to taste
1/4 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped or frozen chopped spinach
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste

Heat oil in a large saucepan, sauté the garlic and onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add celery, carrots, sage, basil, beans, water and salt. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add black pepper and spinach. Simmer 2 minutes.
#204 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 12:40 AM

subbing...

also, i made the honey baked lentils and i must have overcooked b/c they were mooshy...SO i added some flour to thicken a little more and made 6 "balls" and fried them up....honey baked lentil patties. YUM!
#205 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 03:33 AM

Subbing!
#206 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 04:28 AM

[QUOTE=texasmommatotwo;9716428]a bump and a post

a great sauce for cheap is

1 can cream of whatever soup (.89?)
1 cup of mayo (.40 ?)
1 tsp curry ( or more to taste) (pennies)
leftover cooked white meat (optional)
cooked rice (.50)

mix together and heat. serve over rice. we also add in chicken and brocolli. i know it sounds weird cause of the mayo, but it is great! not so healthy, but dh loves this. lasts for two meals and lunch.

QUOTE]

This sounds like a great I'll have to give it a try. Another thing to do is to if omiting the meat and having the rice is to also add beans this would then make it a complete protein meal and be a tad more nutritious. I'm thinking maybe just a white bean like a great northern. I'm going to have to make this wednesday. I have some left over rice from last night

Pax, loving wife since 2001, Mother of DD1 (11 1/2) and DD2 (8). Entering our 4th year of Homeschooling: Eclectic mix of curriculum and child interest lead. Backyard urban chicken chasers. 10/2014 items purged.
#207 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 AM

subbing!!
#208 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM

I've been making Egg Drop Soup for my kids lately. I use the second (or third) day's worth of crockpot broth from a chicken carcass, or else I just season the soup water with Herbamare (a seasoned salt mix) and soy sauce. I put in a small amount of cut up veggies, a few handfuls of whatever we have (frozen or fresh - we like it with carrots, peas, and corn), boil it, whip up a few raw eggs and add them while stirring contantly until they are mixed in and cooked. Hard to explain. But it's yummy, cheap, has veggies and protein, and feeds the whole family (for one or two people you could do with a half-handful of veggies and one or two eggs). And best thing: my kids will eat it up. It's also good reheated. Forgive me if someone already posted this idea.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#209 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 09:21 PM

That honey baked lentil dish is so good! We don't do a ton of bean type dishes around here, but that one is definitely going to be made again!

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#210 of 419 Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissel View Post
This reminds me of my DH's all-time favorite meal (for breakfast, lunch, or dinner)--black beans and rice in any form with an over-easy egg or two over top. The egg yolk breaks down into the beans and rice, which at first, I thought was soooo gross. Boy, was I wrong

I posted a similar version of this on another thread, but sometimes I combine one can of corn (drained, or an equal amount frozen or fresh, cooked), one can of black beans (drained), and half a jar or a whole jar of salsa, heat it all up in a pot, and combine it with rice. Then dish it out and put the eggs over top. We also add a liberal dose of Tabasco on top !
nak...making the beans, rice and eggs tonight...

Tags
Meal Planning , Frugality , Budget

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page