inspiration for gfcfsf school snacks/lunches (also tree nut and peanut free) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-20-2006, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm getting stuck on ideas for snacks. I've been sending whole fruits and seeds with a juice in ds's lunch. The classroom is peanut and treenut free because of a child with an anaphylactic allergy! (, so scary)

any ideas?

ps, my son has a lot of sensory issues (no soups!), but let's just brainstorm a bit and see what pple can come up with

eta, we're mostly scd, so not being able to send nuts has sent me for a bit of a loop

heartbeat.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-21-2006, 01:50 AM

My kids love nut and seed balls which you could modify a bit. I just grind nuts, seeds, dates, coconut oil and shredded coconut.

What about rice krispie treat type things? I do it with GF puffed brown rice, almond butter, honey and vanilla. You could try tahini, honey and vanilla.

You could do things like a mix of raisins, goji berries and seeds-like a trail mix.

Fruit leather-but that's not very filling.

Geez, that's tough without the nuts. I never realized how much I rely on them! I'll keep thinking.
#3 of 6 Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 AM

homemade popcorn with brewers yeast instead of butter?

My kids love the baby corn you can find in the ethnic section of the supermarket- i try to find a variety that's packed in water or water/salt and nothing else. Makes a nice switch from carrot sticks, anyway.
#4 of 6 Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OK, so seeds are OK? A friend of mine has a toddler with anaphlactic allergies to milk, eggs, garlic, peanuts, tree nuts, and all seeds. He's also allergic to soy but not as severely. I'm so used to "no nuts or seeds" going hand in hand because of this family.

I know that almonds are a tree nut. I'm not sure what coconuts are considered from an allergy perspective.

If seeds are ok, you can use tahini (sesame seed paste) and sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) and use that in place of nut butters in any recipe.

What exactly are you eliminating in your DS' diet? Is rice acceptable? Cheese? Meat?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#5 of 6 Old 09-21-2006, 01:41 PM

I'm assuming no cheese as she's asking for casein free foods.
#6 of 6 Old 09-21-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

i havent really been able to get a clear answer about seeds, but sesame seeds are out for now. i think i'm going to ask if we can get a detailed list of things that the other little boy is anaphylactic to, i'd like to know if coconut is okay.

i'm trying to phase in pumpkin seed butter~it has a lovely mellow taste, if we can get past the 'green' issue :LOL . sunflower seed butter's been a no-go in the past, but i'm going to try it again

we cant do any dairy at all. i've even tried houston enzymes, but he's better staying off the milk, gluten, soy and corn. we also limit rice because it's been pretty constipating.

re meats, ds will only eat meat if it's freshly cooked, he wont eat it leftover, or cold. or if there is any fat on it at all. and only if it's been simmered, not bbq'd or sauteed or baked...

i'm thinking that i might try some quinoa mixed with a bit of rice, rolled up like sushi. i'm also thinking about making some muffins, using hemp seed flour, squash and stuff like that. and i'm thinking about trying him with some roast beef from the deli (if the ingredients check out)~i think he might try it anyways. and i keep meaning to make some dehydrated flax crackers. and the seed/energy ball thing too! i'm sure that'll go over well.

i've been sending trail mix type stuff, but he's not touching it.

the golden standards that he'll actually eat seem to be gala apple, fresh organic carrots (he wont eat conventional, he can tell the difference!: : ), plain sunflower seeds, banana, and grapes. i'd like to keep trying to build some flexibility into the menu though, so i'll keep trying to add more foods in.

i'm getting lots of great ideas, thanks mamas!

heartbeat.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page