Freezing peaches - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have always used purchased frozen organic fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, peach slices, mango chunks) in my smoothies during the winter. This year, I've been freezing my own blueberries and strawberries while they were fresh and in season, and we currently still have lots of fresh, ripe peaches and I would like to slice and freeze them, as well. I realize that the sliced peaches should probably be treated to keep from browning, so they will require an extra step than just spreading them on a cookie sheet and freezing them.

My husband picked up a container of citric acid mixture for preserving/freezing purposes, but I'm not sure if I should use that and follow directions (from the package and various cookbooks) for a whole soaking process before treating the slices. Can you soak them, treat them with the ascorbic acid, and THEN spread them out and freeze them? With good results? Or is that only if you're going to freeze them in a syrup solution (which I don't want. I want the equivalent of the bagged peach slices that I've bought in the past.)

The "dry pack" freezing instructions on the package seem to imply that you can presoak the fruit, drain it, treat it with ascorbic acid, and then freeze it. But guidelines in Fanny Farmer's cookbook and other references also don't include peaches in the fruits that are appropriate for dry pack freezing. The package instructions for fresh fruit (treating it to keep it from browning) just has you slice fruit, sprinkle with the ascorbic acid, toss and refrigerate until serving. Or you can mix the ascorbic acid mixture with a few tbsp water and toss with a quart of sliced fruit, then refrigerate.

Would that be sufficient for treating peach slices, and then freeze them? Or best to soak, drain, treat, and freeze?

I'm hoping for someone who has frozen peaches successfully (not in a syrup or solution) to post what they did! Thanks for your suggestions.
#2 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 12:59 PM

My goodness. I just put them in a ziptop bag and freeze them. That's all!
#3 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 01:03 PM

i just stick them on a cookie sheet for the intial freeze and then stick them in the ziploc bags.....
#4 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

EXCELLENT. That is so what I wanted to hear, and from two voices of experience even better.

I was hoping just to slice them, spread them on a cookie sheet, freeze for a bit, and then put into freezer bags. (Freeze them first so they'll go into the bag loose, won't stick together as much, and will be easy to get out in small quantities later.)

Oh, thanks for responding. Even though my question must look foolish, in light of your experience. I am doing a happy dance!
#5 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 08:34 PM

That's all I did with mine and they're fine.
#6 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 10:05 PM

I peel and pit them, stuff them in a ziploc, seal, and freeze. I've never frozen them on a cookie sheet: it's too much work when I'm trying to do the peaches around my children!
#7 of 7 Old 09-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyC View Post
(Freeze them first so they'll go into the bag loose, won't stick together as much, and will be easy to get out in small quantities later.)

nak...this is called flash freezing and i usually do it, except the last time i did it w/peaches, they were very juicy and the juice glued them to the pan and i couldn't pry them off until they thawed, which defeated the whole purpose -- so now i don't bother. i just take the whole mess of the frozen ones out of the bag and chunk off wfat i need w.a knife. sometimes i am very lazy in the kirchen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page