Making Hummus With Chick Pea Flour?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was out for dinner and had the yummiest, smoothest, most delicious hummus plate EVER!!

We then went to the bulk food store and saw chickpea flour (just groud whole, raw chick peas) and I figured this must have been what they used to get it so smooth and creamy!

Anyone used chickpea flour to make hummus before or have any thoughts on the matter??

As of now I'm thinking of just boiling some water to add to the flour and make a paste, then adding some garlic, tahini, lemon, S&P (and maybe a roasted red pepper).

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never tried chickpea flour, but if you try it, would you let us know how it goes?

I've gotten that smooth, silky texture (the best was definitely at a couple of Middle Eastern restaurants) by adding a little extra liquid (either olive oil or the bean liquid from cooking or the can) and putting it all in the blender. Then I blended the crap out of it, just let it go for as long as it took to get that creamy texture.

I wonder if flour would be too gummy? But since it's bean flour, I'm not really sure? You could always try a small test batch...
Old 09-24-2006, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't use flour. It's made from raw chickpeas. It tastes very metallic. What's more, it's a perfect way to cause major flatulence.

If you don't have an industrial food processor/blender, hull your chickpeas. If you're only making a small batch, it doesn't take long to slip those skins off. It really smooths out the hummus. You lose some fiber, but the texture is much nicer.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

User Tag List