Avoiding Fast Food Restaurants - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I HATE fast food. It tastes bad, it's bad for you, I hate everything it stands for. Anyway, how do you all avoid going to fast food restaurants. We go maybe once/month but that's still too much. Sometimes we're running late or something and I feel like it can't be avoided. Please tell me it can!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 09:19 PM

If by fast food you mean McDonalds/Wendys stuff, try Subway or get pizza. I don't think either of those are remotely close to McDs.
#3 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 09:59 PM

We're trying to avoid fast food as well. I think that planning ahead is really the best way. Keep some snacks in the car, and try not to be out at meal times. Use a crock pot if your day will be hectic, so that dinner is already made. Those are the things I am trying to do, anyway.
#4 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 10:28 PM

We avoid fast food, because its so expensive (and i hate hamburgers anyway, but do ocassionally indulge at Taco Bell). We are a family of 5, so for about 5 dollars more, we can go to Golden Corral, a buffett place. not so bad.

we also get pizza, about twice a month. we have Papa Murphy's, which is take and bake. gourmet garlic chicken, yummy. and it only costs $11, and feeds all 5 of us.
#5 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

I definately need to plan ahead. I try to have snacks with me so I don't get sucked into those places. I guess I just hate all "eating out" stuff. It's so expensive! We're selling our house right now and when we have showings we have to leave. That makes meal times tough. I can pack sandwiches for the kids and I but dh is way more picky. I hate that!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 11:06 PM

We live 40 minutes from town so if I go out with the kids in the morning, I always pack sandwiches that way if we don't make it back for lunch (and we usually don't) I'm not stuck. I would never go to a burger type fast food place but have gone to Subway on occasion when I didn't plan ahead.

ps you might be interested in the book Fast Food Nation.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#7 of 25 Old 04-06-2003, 11:28 PM

We haven't been to fast food in years- we do get tak-out pizza when I need a break from cooking. Otherwise, it's sandwiches or snacks.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#8 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm reading Fast Food Nation right now. It's just made me feel stronger about this plight.

#9 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 11:26 AM

We run by the grocery store for fruit, bread or crackers, cheese, nuts, etc. (and maybe a little sweet surprise), then head to a park. Or in the evening, park someplace with a nice view of a lake or stars, keep the stereo on, and eat in the car.

Grocery store delis also have precooked chickens, salads, hard-boiled eggs, etc. Better than fast food!
#10 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 11:38 AM

The grocery store!Why didn't I ever think of that?There's this bizarre mentality that shopping would take too long,but now that you mentioned it running in for some fruit,etc would be just as fast as waiting for drive thru,or pretty close. We americans are just programmed for laziness.I'm trying to break this too.
#11 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, the grocery store is an awesome idea! Thanks!

#12 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 02:18 PM

I have to agree, plan ahead!
there are always things in our house to take granola bars, homemade muffins, sanwiches, we carry bottled water eveywhere we go... I prefer the taste of these things waaay better than fastfood, and its a lot more cost effective.

but there are occasions when I'm out longer than planned, and the kids and I get hungry so we stop at the co op and grab something or run in the store, I do like subway and schlotskys.

Try it for one month of not buying fast food you'd be surprised on how much money your saving, I was when I stopped.

Valerie

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#13 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 02:22 PM

We don't eat fast food. If we haven't planned ahead to bring something with us, we'll stop in a grocery store and there's always healthier options there.

baby carrots are one of our favorites. There should always be some pre-made dips. Add in some cheese and grapes and you've got something to hold you over.

I know that feeling of being out and so hungry, though.

One of my nicest road trip memories was taking a trip to the Adirondacks with a friend and her family. Her mom packed up sandwiches and a blanket and we ate at a rest stop. Whereas my family would always stop off in the closest fast food stop. I liked the picnic much better!

~~~Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul...you've got to run like a lamb queen out of control~~~
#14 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 08:24 PM

when we traveled from MD to MI we packed a cooler of water/juice and a cooler of sandwiches, fruits, veggies, granola bars, and some sweet items. no stopping for sodas or junk for us! just stopped to use the bathroom! it was wonderful..
#15 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 08:58 PM

Kids usually LOVE to choose picnic stuff off the shelves at the store. If you stop at a health food store or even Trader Joe, you can be sure they're getting a healthy meal, and you'll probably have enough extra for next time
#16 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 09:13 PM

Even the smallest improvements are improvements:

Tyson frozen chicken bits = better than McNuggets
Instant mashed potatoes = better than fries
Juice-based soda or Blue Sky = better than Sprite
Simply Organics mac'n'cheese = better than Kraft (and my kids can't tell the difference)
Lays Natural Ruffles = better than regular chips (and made with Sea Salt and expeller-pressed non-hydroginated oil)

T
has anyone noticed the Pringles (yes Pringles) is no longer using shortening? The label says "vegetable oil". Is that for real?
#17 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 10:34 PM
Banned

The closest thing I've had to fast food for years is Subway (once last week, several times last year, but otherwise virtually never). Fast food is disgusting and horrifying (Subway is bad enough, IMO; we were out of leftovers at home and I needed lunch at work and Subway was the only option without getting in the car).

Cook more food than you need for dinner and eat it for lunch the next day. Cook food for lunch for the week on weekends. Get cold cuts and good bread and veggies and pack your own sandwiches.
#18 of 25 Old 04-07-2003, 11:42 PM

I rarely eat fast food, and wehn I do, it's only because my that's *all* my parents will eat!! I am vegetarian too, so it's really hard to find a decent place to get a great veggie meal.

ITA with all the mamas who have said planning is key. It really is. I always have healthful cereal bars in the car so if dd starts to get hungry while out and about, it will tide her over.

Sometimes avoiding fast food means eating early or late too. If we have errands, we'll either eat before going (like 11:00 or so) or at say 2:00 when we get back.

I thought Fast Food Nation was a great, enlightening book!
#19 of 25 Old 04-08-2003, 12:00 AM

I make bags of food after I grocery shop. A few small bags of carrots and cucumbers, Grapes cut in half and strawberries or cantaloupe. I keep these in the crisper and just grab a bag before we head out. Also I Mkae a couple of extra Peanut butter sandwhiches during the week for the weekend, I bought cookie cutters and cut their sandwhiches into shapes they think it is fun. Weekends were our weakness so I plan meals on thursady and friday that would make good fast leftovers, like tacos and then I make taco salad or nachos for lunch instaed of running to the border I buy string cheese and freeze the tubed yogurt, by the time my kids are ready for a snack it is defrosted but cold( that is my biggest pre-packaged purchase) Planning ahead is a big helper, it was our gaol to cut out completely fast food and now the thoguht of itgrosses me out I have not taste for it left and I hate the idea of spending the money on it.
#20 of 25 Old 04-08-2003, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

These ideas are so awesome everyone! Thanks so much! Simple things that can save time and money! I just love it here!

#21 of 25 Old 04-08-2003, 08:59 PM

If you eat eggs, you could hard boil (we like free-range, organic) them and take them in a small cooler with you too. My girls like those for a change of pace. Whole grain bread or crackers and fruit would make that a filling lunch. We also like frozen peas (even if they thaw, my kids like them as finger food snacks) and raw corn on the cob (very yummy, especially when nice and sweet). If you're planning ahead, don't forget a thermos full of soup on occasion for a nice hot treat. Or how about oatmeal? On a cold day, drizzled with maple syrup and a little sea salt is a favorite indoor meal; it would be perfect, filling, and warming on-the-go.

My children aren't really into sandwich wraps yet, but I sure am! The filling ideas are endless and SO easy to whip together. They can be wrapped in wax paper or put into any used bread bag to catch any pieces that may fall out.

Incidentally, we RARELY do fast food. Taco Bell is about the only thing my girls will eat - cheesaritos, plain! Cheese on a tortilla! It's cheap, but it's still way cheaper from home and I use ww tortillas at home. We have also gotten fries in emergencies: i.e. evening ride home from holiday at G & G's, but it's pitch black at 5:30... girls are falling asleep and if they do that on the hour and a half ride, they'll be "bright-eyed and bushy tailed" for the rest of the night when we do make it home! THAT'S an emergency in my book and fries keep them awake and entertained for the duration... we stop half way - half way they stay awake waiting for them, half way they stay awake eating!

I like the idea of the cereal bars in the car; that would have worked for us in that pinch too I think!
#22 of 25 Old 04-09-2003, 11:39 AM

We almost never do fast food unless we are traveling, although I do order pizza once in a great while.

The key for me is having a freezer. I'm a WOHM and if I didn't have a freezer I'd be getting ff at least three times a week.

When I do cook, I make at least a double batch and freeze half. On the weekends, if I'm going to be around I make a huge vat of soup, stew, chili, etc., and freeze in meal-sized portions.

With the freezer, I can come home and get a reasonably good meal on the table in 15 minutes. I also save a fair amount of money because I am still able to be doing most of my cooking from scratch (and freezing it) and I can buy things in bulk when they are on sale. I also like having things like an extra loaf of bread or two already on hand. It saves so many last minute, unplanned trips to the market.
#23 of 25 Old 04-10-2003, 02:09 AM

When we're in a hurry, we tend to swing by a gourmet grocery store, or Whole Foods, or even smaller health food stores, and pick up something from their deli or frozen section. We often get a roast chicken from Whole Foods for $7 that feeds all three of us, plus some left over for lunch the next day. Of course, in our area, these kinds of stores are everywhere. Trader Joes is good for this kind of stuff too. A few yummy side salads, some sliced cheese and bread, sliced meat, hummus, etc., all this adds up to one yummy, quick on the go meal.

Pizza or take out burritos are another thing we often do. We have a favorite local burrito place, and we call ahead and swing in and pick it up. Oh, and we also have a local, non-chain burger place that we really like. We keep the menu in our car, and sometimes call ahead. It's not health food by any stretch, but at least it's not Burger King.
#24 of 25 Old 04-10-2003, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

OK, last night was my big challenge. We had a house showing from 6 -7 and my dd1 had dance class until 5:15. No time to cook dinner in between. So, I made them dinner at 4:00. Then when dh came home we ran up to Panera and got them each a bagel for a snack and us a bowl of soup (dh has to eat at certain times as he has type 1 diabetes). So, I know it's still a large chain but better than fast food, right? Thanks for all of the great ideas!!!

#25 of 25 Old 04-12-2003, 06:22 PM

There are some excellent ideas here. I wanted to add that my dh works nights as I have repeatedly posted. Dd and I frequently spend the first half of our day out and about so he can sleep. I find I can pack egg sandwiches and fruit quite easily. If I know I will still be out at lunch time I try to bring leftovers from the previous night's supper or portable snacks like cheese and crackers, whole grain muffins (dd likes mini-muffins), hummus and veggies, almond butter and rice cakes or just sandwiches. We carry bottled water with us and never leave the house without a meal in tow. If you need some help menu planning, we have a thread started in this forum. Please join us. I needed a little encouragement in this area as well. We rarely eat fast food, but have gotten in the trap of being too tired to cook and dining out. We have also found that it isn't really more expensive to eat in a restaurant depending on the restaurant. There is a great Vietnamese place by us that has excellent food. The three of us can eat and get full for about $15 including a decent tip. The only problem is that we won't have any leftovers for the next day's lunch. I prefer to cook in if possible.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page