Perdue Chicken says no additives, hormones, etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-26-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, money is tight and I haven't found a source for pastured chicken, yet, so I'm stuck buying commercial chicken from the supermarket. How come my Perdue oven stuffer roaster says that there are NO hormones or additives added to the chicken b/c the USDA doesn't permit it?? Isn't this one of the BIG reasons to go pastured/ organic? I know the other concerns are the feed they're fed and their living conditions, but I always thought that hormones were given to the chickens??

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#2 of 11 Old 09-26-2006, 01:14 PM

I might believe the additives part, but I have a hard time believing perdue doesn't use hormones on their birds...
#3 of 11 Old 09-26-2006, 02:36 PM

Are hormones actually used in poultry production? One thing that IS used to massive excess in factory poultry farming is antibiotics; both (I believe) as a growth promoter and because the conditions the chickens are raised in are so filthy and horrific that it takes those levels of antibiotic to keep the birds alive long enough to slaughter them.

So it's great that there are no additives, but I think it's a little misleading when things are labelled as "HEY LOOK HOW GREAT WE ARE! NO HORMONES" when actually hormones aren't standardly used in the production of that product anyway. It's just marketing, and preying on people's naivete'. Now if it said "antibiotic free" I'd buy those!
#4 of 11 Old 09-26-2006, 02:41 PM

I am leary of it when it says Hormone free on chicken because I feel like they are trying to market an inferior product. I agree with the previous post, antibiotic free would be awesome in chicken (hormone free is great for beef).
#5 of 11 Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM

I read somewhere (can't remember where) that it is illegal for commercial chicken companies to use hormones. That is the only reason I *might* believe it. Obviously, it would be better to go organic and antibiotic free, but I do think the hormone free thing is right. I am leary of additives - what do they mean by that?
#6 of 11 Old 09-26-2006, 11:21 PM

It's against federal regs to use hormones. But then there's always antibiotics and filth PLUS.......chickens can be fed animal by products, YUCK!!!
#7 of 11 Old 09-27-2006, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd call that preying on naive customers. (No offense intended to the OP)

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#8 of 11 Old 10-02-2006, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5 View Post
I'd call that preying on naive customers. (No offense intended to the OP)
nak Haven't been back to check this in a while. No offense taken. I totally agree that it's preying on naive customers, and if i wasn't as educated about what was in my food and wasn't striving for an nt- eating lifestyle, i would be naive. unfortunately, finances prohibit me from buying the meat i'd like and well, w/ a dh that *loves* meat, i need to go the commercial chicken route right now. i just found it very odd to see the label and automatically thought of uneducated food consumers thinking their perdue chicken was just as good as hormone-antibiotic free pastured chicken.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#9 of 11 Old 10-02-2006, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, I haven't bought perdue in several months, but I remember that it was one of the brands I COULD buy (I have to check the lables every time, so I'm not sure now...things change frequently in the food processing biz), because they didn't use any soy or milk products to inject in the birds and make them "moist." When you're stuck buying commercial, it's nice to find one that you CAN buy that's at least RELATIVELY safe.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#10 of 11 Old 10-02-2006, 05:33 PM

Perdue feeds its chickens arsenic to ward off parasites. YUMMY!
#11 of 11 Old 10-02-2006, 06:04 PM

I poked around Perdue's site, and here's what they say:

Do you give your chickens hormones?
No. Perdue Farms does not give our chickens or turkeys hormones or steroids, either in feed, processing, or any other application. The use of hormones has been illegal in poultry production since 1952. In fact, since our beginning in 1920, we have never used hormones or steroids.

Are PERDUE® products antibiotic free?
All PERDUE® products are 100% free of antibiotics. This is assured by Perdue's own strict control over every aspect of production, including manufacturing our own feed and weekly audits of our producers' farms and by FDA/USDA requirements and tests.

Making sure the products are antibiotic free and not feeding animals antibiotics are two different things...they're playing with semantics there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page