my picky toddler needs some good fattening recipes! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-07-2003, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My toddler is so small and actually lost a little weight over the past 2 months. Does anybody have some good healthy, fattening food ideas for a kid who would be just as happy to just breastfeed all day long for(probably)ever?! He just does not seem to like to eat....
#2 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 01:04 AM

I went through this too for a while with my little guy. Slices of avacado are a wonderful source of high cal nutrition for children. Full fat yogurt was another favorite of his. I've also heard that dried fruit is good as well. Maybe you could add ground nuts or seeds to his cereal if he eats that. I would Keep up the breastfeeding as well because it is still a wonderful source of nutrition for a toddler. I hope this helps!
#3 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 01:14 AM

if you're not vegan, egg noodles are full of protein. If you plop some butter/olive oil/parmesean cheese on top, it's a fairly toddler-friendly dish.
#4 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Egg noodles are full of protein?! I had no idea. Hmmm. Interesting. Edited to add: Actually, I just looked it up. I don't know how much protein egg noodles has, but Japanese SOBA noodles have 8 grams of protein per 2 ounces of noodles. Wow!

I forgot to mention that I live overseas, so it is difficult or extremely expensive to get certain things. I spent $6 on 2 cups of pumpkin seeds today! Ack!

These are fantastic suggestions, though. Thank you. Hope some more are coming...?
#5 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 10:30 AM

my toddler loves french toast,
yogurt (whole milk),
I also add yogurt to juice(diluted) when I give her juice.
#6 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 11:51 AM

And how about drizzling olive oil on everything? OK, not everything but yum!
#7 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first thoughts were olive oil and avocado too! ALso, how about almond or peanut butter.

Make smoothies and add olive or flax oil, nut butters or tahini, whole milk yogurt or soy milk.

Grind up nuts and/or seeds in a coffee grinder and stir into hot or cold cereal, rice, etc.

Eggs are an excellent source of protein and have some good fats. Tofu also contains some fat.

Sprinkle cheese over veggies, rice, etc.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#8 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
What do moms feed their toddlers where you live?

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.
#9 of 9 Old 04-08-2003, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Good question, Captian Optimism. I'm not totally sure. I know babies eat 'super rice', a rice porridge type of thing with teensy fish, mashed up veggies, dried pork in it. My kid loves it and it's pretty healthy.

I'm a little skeptical about the local toddler food, though. People are always giving him candy, cookies and cake whenever we go out. At restaurants, waitresses offer him this crap, and at the temple where we go, the people who watch him skip dinner and give him a constant diet of cake, despite my constant requests to give him 'real' food and not sugar. I see overweight babies and children all the time here, can't say if it's more than the States, but I think it's considered a problem here.

Anyways! Off my rant now. I like the olive oil suggestion, I do have flax oil, too. Once avocados come into the store, we'll try that. And now you guys are really getting me on a nut kick!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page