Meals that you make ALL the time -- RECIPES! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 140 Old 10-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is so good. Better than regular spaghetti. It gets slightly crispy/chewy on the edges, soft and saucy in the middle. There are many variations, some quite complex, but I like the simple one. I usually use leftover cooked noodles from the night before...

You just take cooked spaghetti--as much as you want for your family--I find about a half package cooked will fill a 9x13 baking pan--and place in a greased pan. Brown some ground beef (this is where i use organic beef--you don't need a lot) with an onion. Mix with a jar of spaghetti sauce or your own homemade. I usually use a jar plus a small can of sauce or drained tomatoes to make it saucier. Pour over the spaghetti, kinda blending it gently with a fork. You do want all the noodles to be moistened a bit. Top with shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese. Bake at 350F for about 30 min. or til hot and bubbly. (I think last time I made it it took about 40 min. Depends on your oven and whether or not the spaghetti was cold when you made it...)

This is so freaking good. Gets better the next day! Also great b/c you can add veggies or whatever to the sauce. Add a side salad or veggie, maybe some garlic bread and you're done!

Great recipes everyone, I can't wait to try these!
#62 of 140 Old 10-27-2006, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlilies View Post
NOCTURNALDAZE - I just made your chickpea salad (page 3) - it was delicious! It would be good to take to a potluck as it seems it could be served room temp. I like how healthy it is. By the way, how much oil should go into it? I just guessed.
: Sorry about that. I fixed the recipe. It should have been 2 Tbsp of olive oil.
#63 of 140 Old 10-28-2006, 09:46 AM

Love all those yummy recipes, thanks so much, mamas!!! I'll def. be lurking here for more to come!

One of our all time favorites is this chicken casserole:

3-4 chicken breasts
1 can of mushroom soup
slices of cheese (enough to top each breast)
Stovetop crumbs

Place chicken in casserole dish,top w/cheese slices, pour cream of mushroom soup (mixed w/ a lil water to thin it up a bit) over, top w/bread crumbs.

If wanted, melt 1 stick of butter and pour over the crumbs. (We omit this step as we want to eat fairly low fat. -The soup is fat free in our case too)

Place in the oven for about 45 mins @ 350F. It's best to close the dish w/aluminium foil for the first 40 mins and only for the last 5 mins w/o as otherwise the crumbs get burnt. (BTDT )

Serve w/rice or noodles and some veggies on the side, done.

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#64 of 140 Old 10-28-2006, 02:40 PM

I thought of another one I do quite often:
Egg noodles w/fresh tomatoes and cottage cheese

Cut up 1 fresh tomato for each person and add about 2-3 Tbsp of cottage cheese (we prefer fat free) for each portion of tomatoes.
Heat some olive oil in the pan, add cut/cubed tomatoes, sprinkle w/garlic salt and pepper. Add cottage cheese and let simmer for ~5 mins.
Pour over noodles, pronto.

We're a big fan of cottage cheese, so everyone likes it (well, except DS, he's too young yet and picky lol). I guess if you have aversions against cc it's not really something for you

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#65 of 140 Old 10-28-2006, 02:59 PM

subbing...

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#66 of 140 Old 10-28-2006, 03:25 PM

I make this all summer long, because I grow lots of basil.

BASIL CHICKEN

2 tbsp minced garlic (I use about 6-8 cloves, but I looove garlic)
Olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup (I use about 2 cups) basil leaves

Sauce (if you like extra sauce, double this)
3tbsp lemon juice
3tbsp water
1tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp sugar (you could probably use sucanat, but I've never tried it)
dash pepper

Pound chicken breasts to 1/2" thickness (or buy breast cutlets)
Combine garlic and oil in skillet. Stir over med/high heat until browned.
Remove garlic to a bowl.
Add chicken to pan, cook until brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.
Cut basil into thin slivers, add HALF of basil to the pan, along with garlic and sauce ingredients.
Cover, and simmer until chicken is done, 6-7 minutes. Spoon juice over chicken often while cooking.
Transfer chicken to a platter, cover with foil to keep warm. Boil pan juices, uncovered, over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in remaining sliced basil and pour over chicken.

It sounds complicated, but once you make it once, it's easy. Especially if you pound the chicken before hand.
You can make mashed potatoes or rice and pour the extra sauce over it. Yum.
#67 of 140 Old 10-28-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
Ginger Beef and Brocolli

1 large steak (I use inside round)
3 cloves garlic
1 inch knob of frozen ginger
4 tbsp (or so) kikoman soy sauce
a bunch of brocolli, speared
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 carrot, julienned
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp kikoman soy sauce
pepper to taste

while still partially frozen slice beef into thin strips, grate ginger and garlic into beef, add soy sauce, cover and refridgerate.

in hot cast iron pan add a little oil and beef, stir fry over high heat until partially cooked. remove from pan. Add a little oil if needed, put in brocolli, onion and carrot. stir fry over high heat, add water and cover to steam. after a minute or so, add the beef back in with any juices, splash with some more soy sauce and sprinkle with pepper. Serve as is, or over hot brown rice!
Yum Yum !
#68 of 140 Old 11-02-2006, 09:49 PM

our standby comfort dish is mexican spiced turkey in croissant dough.

saute one each chopped onion and green pepper, add 1 lb. low fat ground turkey, saute. add one packet taco seasoning mix, when cooked, take off heat, add about 2 handfuls grated cheese (we usually use mexican mix, but all work) - you want enough cheese for turkey to stick together a bit.

take croissant dough, you will need 2 packs but may not use all. line up croissants on baking dish with smallest flat edge on inside (points out) forming a circle. add turkey like a wreath. then fold ends of croissants over turkey and in, then cook at 350 until croissant dough is done.

we love with salad and guacamole
#69 of 140 Old 11-02-2006, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alison77 View Post
our standby comfort dish is mexican spiced turkey in croissant dough.

saute one each chopped onion and green pepper, add 1 lb. low fat ground turkey, saute. add one packet taco seasoning mix, when cooked, take off heat, add about 2 handfuls grated cheese (we usually use mexican mix, but all work) - you want enough cheese for turkey to stick together a bit.

take croissant dough, you will need 2 packs but may not use all. line up croissants on baking dish with smallest flat edge on inside (points out) forming a circle. add turkey like a wreath. then fold ends of croissants over turkey and in, then cook at 350 until croissant dough is done.

we love with salad and guacamole
this sounds yummy

One of my standby dished that is similar are quesadillas

I just toss meat, cheese, etc in a tortilla, fold and put in a cast iron skillet with oil until crispy

I chop up avacado and salt and squirt a little bit of lime on top.Is great with sour cream or yogurt as well.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#70 of 140 Old 11-03-2006, 12:07 AM

We call this *chicken curry* (I apologize to anyone who knows how to actually make Chicken Curry- this is a complete bastardization, but it's yummy).

Ingrediants:
1 large onion,
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup plain yogurt
1 can of coconut milk
1 or 2 chicken breasts, depending on the size
2 T Patak's Curry Paste (or Masala, depending on spice level- we get this at the Asian market).
1 t ginger powder
3 cubed potatoes
1 T oil
hot pepper or powdered curry if you want more spice

cook chopped onion (in oil) until clear on stove top, add minced garlic for a few minutes, add ginger and spice paste, cook for about a minute. Add the other ingrediants and cook for about 40 minutes. (stir occasionaly) Serve with nan (trader joe's has fantastic garlic nan and so does our Asian mart) or with rice. This makes enough for 4 adults.

Yummy!
#71 of 140 Old 11-03-2006, 12:08 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#72 of 140 Old 11-03-2006, 02:39 AM

YUM!!! This was delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalDaze View Post
I got this recipe from Pandora's Box magazine a couple of years ago. We have it every week. It has so much flavor!!

Chickpea Salad

1 lb green beans, cut into 1 in. strips
2 cups broccoli, cut into small pieces
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 clove garlic
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
1 lg tomato, diced
2 stalks green onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
10 pitted kalamata olives

In a medium saucepan on medium heat, steam beans and broccoli until slightly tender. Rinse under cold water and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Set aside. In a large bowl combine the chickpeas, tomato, onions, jalapeno, olives, green beans and broccoli. Toss with the dressing and serve immediately. Makes 2-4 servings.
#73 of 140 Old 11-03-2006, 02:43 AM

We also had this one.... and LOVED it.... are you able to get the crust crispy? I think next time I might bake the crust on the rack for a bit (before putting sauce/veggies on it); that should help, right? The crust was so tasty and I put all of the toppings you suggested as well as sauteed garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and then drizzled some olive oil after the pizza was cooked. It was even good cold--would make for a good appetizer! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2tzatziki View Post
Mmmm! I can't wait to try some of these.

One of our current favorites is homemade pizza with a really quick whole wheat crust.

To make the crust:
1 (.25 ounce) package active yeast
1 cup warm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon honey

Preheat oven to 350. Disolve yeast into water and let stand until creamy (about 10 minutes). In a large bowl combine flour, wheat germ and salt. Make a well in the middle and add honey and yeast mixture - mix to combine. Cover and let rise for a few minutes. Coat hands in olive oil and then press dough into a floured pizza pan. (Can also roll out the dough, but we like the texture of the hand pressed out type.) Poke holes in the dough with a fork a few times, and put in oven to bake for 5-10 minutes. Remove and top with your favorite toppings and bake again for 5-15 minutes depending on toppings.

Our current favorite is to top with tomato sauce, sauted onions, fresh tomatoes and goat cheese and parmesan cheese. Yum!!
#74 of 140 Old 12-14-2006, 02:03 PM

Bumpitty.

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
#75 of 140 Old 03-08-2007, 03:20 PM

Just a little bump...

This is one of my favorite threads and I refer back to it frequently. s
#76 of 140 Old 03-14-2007, 01:25 AM

Great thread idea... Dh makes pasta with spinach all the time.

Spinach Pasta
1 bag of organic baby spinach leaves
3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 lb of pasta (we like organic bowties)
2 T of butter
Olive Oil

Saute the garlic in a generous amount of olive oil and butter. Add spinach until it is cooked. Toss mixture over cooked pasta and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
This is such an easy meal. We "cheat" by using spinach from a bag so the only prep involved is chopping the garlic. I like to have warm crusty Italian bread with this dish.

Enjoying the journey into natural family living with my two sons and husband.
#77 of 140 Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturekate View Post
Oatmeal Hotcakes

2 cups rolled oats 1/2 cup flour
2 cups buttermilk 1 tsp. baking powder
4 eggs 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 Tbs. sugar 1/2 tsp. salt
4 Tbs. melted butter

Night before: stir rolled oats and buttermilk together in a bowl. Cover and
let stand on counter overnight.

The next morning: add eggs, sugar, and melted butter. Stir well to combine.
In small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt; add
to the oatmeal mixture and stir until just combined. Cook on a lightly
greased hot griddle.
My DS thought he had died and gone to heaven with this one! And for dinner no less. Even my DH loved it. I made ours with organic, steel cut oats and goats milk, served with fresh fruit. This was a huge hit. I'll be making more of these to freeze for quick breakfasts for DS.
#78 of 140 Old 03-16-2007, 01:38 AM

Another big thumbs up for Maclolo'c lentil chili- very, very good. Leftovers on tortillas tomorrow!! (BTW- didn't have beer, still great)
#79 of 140 Old 03-16-2007, 10:06 PM

oooooooooooh, can't wait to try some of these!

Obstruct livery vehicles!

#80 of 140 Old 03-16-2007, 11:57 PM

I'm going to make the baked spaghetti, that sounds really good!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#81 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclolo View Post
We also had this one.... and LOVED it.... are you able to get the crust crispy? I think next time I might bake the crust on the rack for a bit (before putting sauce/veggies on it); that should help, right? The crust was so tasty and I put all of the toppings you suggested as well as sauteed garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, and then drizzled some olive oil after the pizza was cooked. It was even good cold--would make for a good appetizer! Thanks for sharing.
I was looking for some potluck recipes and found the whole wheat pizza crust as a bonus! I had meant to look for one at some point, and this thread had everything I needed. Definitely worthy of a !

With pizza crusts, I precook the crusts, cool them to room temp, and then top them to put them back in the oven. No soggy crusts, and they're always cooked through.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#82 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 07:16 PM

Well, there have already been two chicken curry recipes, but mine is slightly different, so I thought I'd add it anyway. We make this several times a month.

Chicken Curry

Ingredients:

- 1 lb chicken breasts, but into bite sized pieces
- 1 onion
- some oil (about a TBSP)
- 1 can (15-16 oz) coconut milk
- several teaspoons curry powder
- salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- several handfuls of fresh baby spinach or frozen spinach
- 2 TBSP tomato paste
- brown sugar to taste (usually 1 - 2 TBSP)

1. Heat oil and saute diced onions until they are soft.
2. Add curry powder, some cumin, and some coriander (about 1/2 tsp of the cumin and coriander). Cook for about 1 minute.
3. Add the can of coconut milk. Bring to a simmer, then add chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
4. Add the peas and spinach. Cook until spinach is just wilted (iif using fresh) or no longer frozen (if using frozen).
5. Season with salt and sugar, if desired.
6. Serve with naan or brown rice.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#83 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
Well, there have already been two chicken curry recipes, but mine is slightly different, so I thought I'd add it anyway. We make this several times a month.
: There's no such thing as too many chicken curry recipes!

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#84 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 08:39 PM

i make this recipe constantly. it is SO good. i use kale instead of chard, and i like to se
rve it over tortilla chips. i doubled the amount of spice, though. http://www.somethinginseason.com/200...chard-and.html

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#85 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 PM

I don't make this one as often as I'de like to...DH calls it heart attack on a plate...but boy is it good...

Unstuffed Chicken

8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (you can use any part you would like with or without bones)
1 pint sour cream (you can use low fat or no fat)
1 stick (yes stick) of butter
1 sm package (12 oz?) Pepperidge Farms Herb seasoned stuffing (not crouton)

Melt butter in a large bowl and stir in stuffing mix till coated

In a 9 X 14 pyrex pan place chicken in a single layer. Cover with sour cream. Evenly spread stuffing mix on top.

Bake covered in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#86 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 08:59 PM

Subbing - saving for future reference!
#87 of 140 Old 05-20-2007, 09:41 PM

We make this one frequently:

Balsamic chicken and onions

Chop an onion (I like the sweet kind) and cook on med low heat with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper. When onions are carmelized, remove from pan.

Add a bit more oil to pan and cook chicken tenders (or breasts - approx 1 lb.) with salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste. When chicken is cooked through, remove from pan.

Reduce heat and add to pan (I never measure this part) approx. 2 tbls brown sugar and 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar (or more, if you like). Stir to combine and return onions and chicken to pan. Stir to coat and enjoy!

We usually serve this recipe with pasta that has been tossed with butter (or olive oil), garlic, salt, pepper, and fresh grated parmesan. Yummy!!
#88 of 140 Old 05-21-2007, 01:25 PM

:
#89 of 140 Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 AM

We make laab, a Thai dish.

Cook some rice in your rice cooker (Thai Jasmine rice is particularly nutty, fresh and fragrant.)

Chop a few mint leaves into a small bowl. Do the same for a few cilantro leaves in a second small bowl.

Fry 2 lbs. ground turkey. (you do not need to fry with oil if you don't want to - an alternate method is to put water in the pan and let water boil away as you stir the turkey around.) Add chopped onion and minced garlic (about 4 cloves) and fry some more.

In a bowl, put in 1/4 cup lime juice and 1/4 cup fish sauce. Add the turkey/onion/garlic mixture and stir well.

To serve, put some rice onto a plate, add some turkey mixture on top, and then garnish with mint and cilantro.

That's the basic. What my family does in addition is we add some Sambal Oelek (chili paste) to the turkey, and add more vegetables as garnish, such as cucumbers, tomatoes and diced lettuce leaves.
#90 of 140 Old 06-21-2007, 10:59 AM

subbing!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page