Meals that you make ALL the time -- RECIPES! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 140 Old 07-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the recipes. I'll be making several and will report back with the "picky family" taste test!

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#122 of 140 Old 07-06-2007, 12:45 AM

We make this alot in the fall
Cheddar Corn Chowder- makes 12 servings
Bacon; 8 Ounces, chopped (optional)
Olive Oil; 1/4 Cups
Yellow Onion; 6 Cups, chopped
Unsalted Butter; 4 Tablespoon
All Purpose Flour; 1/2 Cups
Kosher Salt; 2 Teaspoon
Black Pepper; 1 Teaspoon
Ground Tumeric; 1/2 Teaspoon
Chicken Stock; 12 Cups
White Potatoes; 6 Cups, cubed
Corn Kernels; 10 Cups
Half & Half; 2 Cups
Sharp White Cheddar Cheese; 1/2 Pounds, grated

In a large stockpot on medium high heat, cook the bacon and olive oil until the bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onions and butter and cook for 10 minutes, until the onion is translucent.

Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and tumeric and cook for 5 minutes. Add the stock and potatoes, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. If using fresh corn, cut the kernals off the cobbs and blanch the kernals for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain. (If using frozen, skip this step.) Add the corn to the soup, then the half and half and cheddar. Cook for 5 more minutes, until the cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot with a garnish of bacon.

Chicken and Rice Soup - makes 16 cups
Large Onion; 1, chopped
Large Celery Ribs; 3, chopped
Medium Carrot; 3, chopped
3.5-4 Pound Chicken; 1
Long Grain Brown Rice; 1 Cups
Flat Leaf Parsley; 1/3 Cups, chopped
Salt; 1 Teaspoon
Water; 3 Quart
Ground Black Pepper;
Combine onion, celery, carrots, chicken, rice, parsley and salt in a 5 quart pot. Add water and bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer , skimming off fat as needed for 1 hour.

Transfer chicken to a colander. When cool enough to handle, remove meat; discard skin and bones. Coarsely shred chicken and return to soup. Season with salt and pepper and reheat if nessecary.

Grilled Lemon Chicken- serves 4
Lemon Juice; 3/4 Cups
Olive Oil; 3/4 Cups
Kosher Salt; 2 Teaspoon
Ground Black Pepper; 1 Teaspoon
Fresh Thyme; 1 Tablespoon, chopped
Boneless Chicken Breast Halves; 2 Pounds
1. Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Pour over the chicken breasts in a nonreactive bowl. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight.

2. Heat a charcoal grill and cook the chicken breasts for 10 minutes on each side, until just cooked through.

I like serve sliced on salad or with a side of rice and asparagus.

Indonesian Ginger Chicken - 5 servings
Honey; 1 Cups
Soy Sauce; 3/4 Cup
Garlic; 1/4 Cups, minced
Fresh Ginger; 1/2 Cups, peeled and grated
Chickens; 2, quartered, backs removed
Cook the honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger root in a small saucepan over low heat until the honey is melted. Arrange the chicken in a large, shallow baking pan, skin side down, and pour on the sauce. Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 1/2 hour. Uncover the pan, turn the chicken skin side up and raise the temp to 375 degrees. Continue baking for 30 minutes or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh and the sauce is a rich dark brown.

Macaroni and Cheese
Topping
Unsalted Butter; 1/4 Stick, melted
Panko Bread Crumbs; 2 Cups
Extra Sharp Cheddar; 1 Cups, coarsely grated
Cheese Sauce And Macaroni
Unsalted Butter; 3 Tablespoon
All Purpose Flour; 3 Tablespoon
Red Pepper Flakes; 1/2 Teaspoon
Whole Milk; 2 3/4 Cups
Heavy Cream; 3/4 Cups
Extra Sharp Cheddar; 4 Cups
Dijon Mustard; 2 Teaspoon
Salt; 1 1/2 Teaspoon
Ground Black Pepper; 1/4 Teaspoon
Elbow Macaroni; 3/4 Pounds
Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 400 F. Butter a 3 quart shallow baking dish.

Make the topping: Stir together butter, panko and cheese in a bowl until well combined.

Make the sauce:
Melt butter in a 5 quart heavy pot over moderately low heat. Whisk in flour and red pepper flakes and cook, whisking for 3 minutes to make a roux. Whisk in milk in a slow stream, then bring sauce to a boil, whisking constantly. Simmer, whisking occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in cream, cheddar, mustard, salt and pepper. Remove pot from heat and cover surface of sauce with wax paper to prevent a skin from forming.

Cook the macaroni and assemble the dish: Cook macaroni in a 6 quart pot of boiling salted water ( 1 tablespoon salt per every 4 quarts water) until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water and drain macaroni.

Stir together macaroni, reserved cooking water and sauce in a large bowl, then transfer to baking dish (mixture will be loose).

Sprinkle topping evenly over macaroni. Bake until top is golden and bubbling, 25 to 35 minutes.

Sesame Noodles and Tofu- serves 3-4
Dressing
Smooth Peanut Butter; 1 Cups
Soy Sauce; 1/2 Cups
Water; 2/3 Cups
Fresh Ginger; 4 Tablespoon, peeled and grated
Medium Cloves Garlic; 4, minced
Red Wine Vinegar; 4 Tablespoon
Asian Sesame Oil; 3 Tablespoon
Honey; 4 Teaspoon
Red Pepper Flakes; 2 Teaspoon
Noodles
Dried Thin Linguine; 1/2 Pounds
Scallion; 8, chopped
Red Bell Peppers; 1, thin sliced
Yellow Bell Peppers; 1, thin sliced
Sesame Seeds; 6 Tablespoon
Tofu
Block of tofu, cut into 3 slices horizontally and then cut into triangles
2 tbsp peanut oil

Make the dressing: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.

Make the noodles: Cook pasta in a 6 to 8 quart pot of boiling salted water until tender. Drain in a colander, then rinse well under cool water.

Pan fry the tofu with the 2 tbsp peanut oil over medium high heat.

*Add pasta, scallions, bell peppers, and sesame seeds to dressing, tossing with tofu to combine. Serve immediately.

Sushi Roll Salad- Serves 4 as side dish, 2-3 as main with tofu or salmon
Sushi Rice; 1 1/2 Cups
Sesame Seeds; 1 Tablespoon
Water; 1 3/4 Cups + 1 1/2 Tbsp
Seasoned Rice Vinegar; 1/4 Cups
Sugar; 1 Tablespoon
Salt; 1 Teaspoon
Medium Carrot; 1, julienned
Wasabi Paste; 1 1/4 Teaspoon
Vegetable Oil; 1 1/2 Tablespoon
Large Seedless Cucumber; 1/2, peeled and small diced
Scallion; 3, chopped
Pickled Ginger; 3 Tablespoon, minced
Avocado; 1, cubed
Toasted Nori; 1 Sheet, sliced thin

Rinse rice in several changes of cold water in a bowl until water is almost clear. Drain in a colander for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, toast seeds in a very dry small heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring, until fragrant and a shade or two darker. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.

Combine rice and 1 3/4 cups water in a 3 to 4 quart heavy saucepan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let rice stand, covered for 10 minutes (do not lift lid).

Meanwhile, combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a very small saucepan and bring to just a boil, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.

Spread rice in a large shallow baking pan. Sprinkle with vinegar mixtue and toss with a wooden spoon.

With a vegetable peeler, shave lengthwise slices from carrot, then cut slices diagonally into 1/4 inch wide strips.

Whisk together wasabi, remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons water and oil in a large bowl. Add rice carrot, cucumber, scallions, pickled ginger and sesame seeds and toss gently.

Halve, pit and peel avocado. Cut crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Arrange on plate with rice salad and sprinkle with nori strips.

**I like to put pan fried tofu in this sometimes or grilled salmon.

Vegetarian Dirty Rice- Serves 4
Can of refried beans (the regular sized can)
Onion; 1, chopped
Garlic; 2 cloves, minced
Peanut Oil; 1 Tablespoon
Long Grain Rice; 3/4 Cups
Vegetable Broth; 1 1/2 Cups
Tomato Paste; 1 Tablespoon
Cider Vinegar; 1 Tablespoon
Cumin; 1 Teaspoon
Black Pepper; 1 Teaspoon
Paprika; 1 Teaspoon
Cayenne; 1/4 Teaspoon
Chili Powder, 1 Teaspoon
Cheddar Cheese; 1/2 Cups, grated
Corn; 1/2 Cups
Carrot, 1, grated
Green Onions, 1 bunch, chopped
Cilantro; 1/4 cup, chopped
In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, sweat the onions and garlic in oil until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add the rice and saute briefly, about 1 minute.
Add the broth, tomato paste, vinegar, cumin, pepper,chili powder, paprika and cayenne. Bring the broth to a boil and cover the pot tightly, turn the heat to low and cook for approximately 15 minutes until rice is tender.
Fold the beans, cheese, green onions, carrots, corn and cilantro into the rice.

** Sometimes I add leftover chicken.. or I brown up some fake ground round and add that.
#123 of 140 Old 07-06-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

HypnoMama -- THANKS for all the recipes! I can't wait to try the sushi roll salad.

Due Nov 2010 with baby #3
#124 of 140 Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 PM

Oooh, these are some great ideas!

I'll throw these in:

Zucchini w/ Polenta
Saute a couple of cloves of garlic in some olive oil, then add cubed zucchini. Sometimes I add leeks too, if I have them. Let brown really good on the first side and then stir. Add in a tube of prepared polenta that is cubed the same size as the zucchini and then add just enough spaghetti sauce to wet. Cook for just a few minutes more to heat polenta through and serve. Sometimes I add a bit of parm. cheese, but not always.

I also make a "cheater" Indian dish a lot.
Buy a couple packages of frozen Mushroom Mutter or Dal. Saute a pkg of mushrooms in some butter until sort of soft. Add in frozen ingredients. Cook until warmed through. Serve over rice (I make rice once a week in the morning while I do the dishes, so it's always in the fridge). Add a side of mashed cauliflower (one pkg frozen cauliflower or one head, cooked until soft - add in some green onion flavored cream cheese and mash). Yummy!

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#125 of 140 Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Summerlilies,
It's sooo good during the summer when you dont want something hot. I like to add extra wasabi, but we like it hot

I love to cook so I've got alot of recipes, but the ones Ive posted are our recent stand bys.

Here are a few more, I take my recipes from alot of places and am bad about noting where they come from, especially the ones I make all the time. I put them all into a program called Accuchef for safe keeping because they are mostly done by memory now. Alot of them are from Gourmet's big recipe book, Ina and Passionate Vegetarian:

Wheatberry and Barley Salad with Smoked Mozzerella
Wheatberries; 1 Cups
Pearl Barley; 1 Cups
Garlic Clove; 2, minced
Salt;
Small Red Onion; 1, diced
Balsamic Vinegar; 1/4 Cups
Extra Virgin Olive Oil; 1/ 4 Cups
Corn; 1 1/2 Cups
Smoked Mozzerella; 1/2 Pounds
Cherry Tomatoes; 1 Pint, halved
Scallion; 6, chopped
Fresh Chives; 1/2 Cups, chopped
Ground Black Pepper; 1/2 Teaspoon

Add wheat berries to a large pot of boiling salted water. ( 1 tablespoon salt for every 4 quarts water), stir, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Stir barely into pot and simmer for 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, with a sharp heavy knife, mince and mash garlic to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir together garlic paste, onion mixture and toss well. Cool completely.

Add corn, mozzerella, cherry tomatoes, scallions, chives, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper to grains and toss well.

Orechiette With Cannellini Beans And Spinach
Olive Oil; 1 Tablespoon
Onion; 2 1/2 Cups, chopped
Garlic; 3 Clove, minced
15 Oz Can Cannellini Beans; 2
Vegetable Broth; 1 Cups
Red Pepper Flakes; 1/4 Teaspoon
Kosher Salt; 1/2 Teaspoon
Orechiette; 1 Pounds
10 Oz Bag Spinach; 2
Parmesan; 1/2 Cups, finely grated
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.

Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and saute over medium high heat until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook and additional 2 minutes.

Add the cannellini beans, vegetable broth, crushed red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pot. Simmer over medium high heat until the sauce thickens slightly, about 15 minutes. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Just before draining pasta, stir the spinach into the pasta pot until it wilts. Drain the pasta and the spinach and return them to the pot. Add the cannellini bean mixture and mix well.

Serve in large, heated pasta bowl and top with grated parmesan cheese..

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Unsalted Butter; 2 Tablespoon
Olive Oil; 2 Tablespoon
Yellow Onion; 4 Cups, diced
Mild Curry Powder; 2 Tablespoon
Butternut Squash; 5 Pounds, peeled, seeded and chunked
Sweet Apples; 1 1/2 Pounds, cored and chunked ( I like to leave the skins on because of the nutrients, but you can remove them if the texture bugs you)
Kosher Salt; 2 Teaspoon
Ground Black Pepper; 1/2 Teaspoon
Apple Juice Or Cider; 2 Cups

Warm the butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over low heat. Add the onions, curry powder and cook, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes, until the onions are tender. Stir occasionally, scraping theb ottom of the pan.

Peel the squash, cut in half, and remove the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks. Peel, quarter, and core the apples. Cut into chunks.

Add the squash, apples, salt, pepper and 2 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until the squash and apples are very soft. Process the soup through a food mill fitted with a large blade, or puree it coarsely in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.

Pour the soup back into the pot. Add the apple juice and enough water to make the soup the consistancy you like. It should be slightly sweet and quite thick. Check for seasonings and serve hot.
#126 of 140 Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 PM

:

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#127 of 140 Old 07-17-2007, 02:47 PM

bumping...

I made the zucchini beef bake and the pineapple bbq chicken off of this thread, and they were both sooooooooo good!!!
#128 of 140 Old 07-17-2007, 05:54 PM

We call this the "Chicken Stuff," and everyone I've made if for goes gaga over it.

2 or 3 chicken breasts, chopped bite size
4 to 6 zucchinis, chopped bite size
about 1 whole roasted red pepper, diced
few cloves of garlic, minced
salt & pepper
olive oil (or sauteeing oil of your choice)
splash of sherry wine or other acid/vinegar
1 lb egg noodles (or whatever noodles-next time I'm trying it with gf rice noodles in penne form)
chevre, feta, or parmesan cheese
balsamic glaze (can be bought at specialty store, or reduce your own balsamic with a little sugar added. much easier to buy!!)

1. Boil water and prepare noodles as directed on package.
2. Heat a drizzle of oil on med. in sautee pan. Add garlic and start to carmalize for a minute. Add chicken pieces. Let start to brown, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add a splash of sherry wine (or vinegar) and allow chicken to cook through.
3. Meanwhile, sautee zucchini with a little salt and pepper in a seperate pan.
4. Mix together noodles, chicken, zucchini & roasted red peppers.
5. Garnish with cheese and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.

The balsamic glaze really makes this dish, unfortunatly it's sometimes hard to find. I've searched Metro Detroit and have only found it at one specialty produce store. You can also use a really good aged balsamic vinegar. I'm sure it would be good without it, but I've never tried cause I'm a balsamic glaze addict.

Kristen - doula and birth educator, wife to Ben and mama to Sydney Mu (8/06) and Cal Edward (7/09) :
#129 of 140 Old 07-19-2007, 03:48 PM

OK I made the balsamic chicken and onions and it was a winner with the whole family!!!!! YAY Thank you!
My dh hates onions but he ate everything and had 2nds. Dd who is superpicky absolutely loved it!!! (I called it "brown sugar chicken" which I think helped.) She actually said she loved it a few times, had 2nds, which never happens, and shouted , "I love food!"

So I will definately be adding this to my weekly repoirtiore.

Also made the lentil chili. Dh and I loved it!!! I froze some, and am going to try it in tortillas!

Keep 'em comin'!

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#130 of 140 Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 PM

OK here are a few favorites. I'm not into cooking but these are easy and somewhat healthy.

Eggplant Italiano
Slice some eggplant (1/4" to 1/2" thick). Brush lightly on both sides with olive oil. Place on baking sheet and broil on each side until lightly browned. Put in baking dish and cover with favorite spaghetti sauce and mozz. cheese and parm. cheese on top of that. Cover and bake until cheese melts.

Southwestern Chicken Pasta
Cook up some ww penne pasta. Grill or saute some boneless skinless chicken breasts. Stir in some chopped red bell peppers and saute until slightly tender. Then add chopped cilantro, halved black olives and some prepared fresh salsa and Bertolli Alfredo sauce (well this is the unhealthy part). Heat just until hot. And serve over pasta. (You could garnish with sour cream and chopped onions).

Crockpot White Chili
Cut up b.l. s.l. chicken breasts and dump into CP. Add 2 or 3 cans of white beans (cannellini) with juices (or the equivalent of homemade beans). Add one jar of salsa (12 oz. or so). We like the Trader Joes salsa verde. And add 2 t or so of cumin. Stir up and leave to cook all day. Serve with cheese sprinkled on top and with hot tortillas or quesadillas.

These are favorites with DH and 5 yo DD and of course with me because they are so easy and tasty.

Hope someone enjoys them, Stacey
#131 of 140 Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 AM

:

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#132 of 140 Old 08-04-2007, 05:11 PM

I have made this twice now and myself and DH love it! I made it with brown rice and put the chicken, mushrooms, onions, and some of the "juice" on top. Mmmm good. DH wants it to be a regular. DS is not really a fan though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina_yyc View Post
1. 4-6 Chicken thighs
2. 1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup
3. Onions and mushrooms (optional)

Place chicken in pan over onions and mushrooms. Season liberally with onion soup. Cook until chicken is done - approximately 1/2 hour at 350-375.

Tastes great with roast potatoes:
Use one potato for everyone who's eating, plus one extra. Cut into wedges with skin on, place on a cookie sheet. Coat with olive oil and add salt and oregano to taste. If you're making the potatoes alone, cook at 400-425 for 30 mins. If you're cooking with meat, use whatever temperature you need for the meat but put in about 10 mins before.

*I always turn the oven up an extra 25 degrees because we live at a higher altitude. If you live at sea level you'll probably find the lower temperatures work better.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#133 of 140 Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Here are two of our favorites:

Curried Rice and Chicken

3 tablespoons oil
1 onion, chopped fine
1 cup long-grain rice
2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup raisins
2 cups chicken broth
diced chicken, raw or cooked works fine (optional)

Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole. heat the oil in a skillet, add the onion, and cook until it is soft. Stir the rice and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the curry powder, butter, salt, and raisins, and cook 1 minute more. Transfer to a casserole, pour in the chicken broth, stir, cover, bake for 1 hour.

Savory Baked Spaghetti
(I like this one because the spaghetti doesn't need to be pre-cooked.)

Place ingredients in casserole dish in the following order:
·8 oz dry spaghetti (whole wheat if available)
·1 c. chopped onion
·1 lb. ground beef or turkey, or Italian sausage, browned and drained (optional)

Mix together in a bowl and then pour into casserole dish:
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 c. water
1 egg (optional)
1 ½ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. oregano or Italian seasoning

Finally, place these items on top:
·1 lb. 13 oz. can tomato sauce
·Italian seasoning

Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 35 minutes.

Remove cover and add 1 ¼ c. shredded cheese (any variety). Bake 10-15 minutes.
#134 of 140 Old 08-04-2007, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
The dish I've been making constantly lately is Lemon Seafood Risotto. DH got me a grillpan for Christmas, and it's been getting tons of use lately with this recipe! I used to just make it using 2 saute pans, though, and that worked fine too.

Lemon Seafood Risotto:
1/4 pound shrimp
1/4 pound scallops
1/2 tsp salt
3.5 cups broth
2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
2 shallots, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/2 cup white wine
2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
1 bunch asparagus

Peel and devein shrimp, rinse and dry shrimp and scallops thoroughly. In a medium bowl, massage seafood with salt, set aside.

Pour broth into medium saucepot, bring to a light simmer.

In large skillet, saute shallots and garlic in 1 Tbsp olive oil 3 minutes. Add rice, saute 2 minutes until lightly toasted. Add wine, stir until absorbed. Ladle in broth 1/2 cup at a time until absorbed, stirring constantly. Remove risotto from heat, stir in lemon zest and parsley, cover to keep warm.

Meanwhile, preheat grillpan (or another saute pan) to medium-high. Toss shrimp and scallops with remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, place on grillpan (sometimes I skewer them to make turning easier). Place asparagus on grillpan as well, cook everything 5-7 minutes, turning halfway through. Chop asparagus into 1-inch pieces.

Spoon risotto into serving dishes, top each with shrimp, scallops, and asparagus, add salt, pepper, and a little extra lemon zest and parsley as garnish, if desired.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#135 of 140 Old 08-04-2007, 10:46 PM

: But I'll be back later with a recipe.

Jennifer- mom to Nicholas (11), Ella (10), Andrew (8) and Anna Sophia (6)
#136 of 140 Old 08-06-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymichel View Post

Here is my easy recipe that everyone loves. The hardest part is just to remember to buy the Spanish rice mix--the other ingredients are almost always around.

Mexican Chicken Casserole
Pour some Spanish rice mix and everything it calls for except water into a casserole dish (rice doesn't need to be cooked separately). Pour a 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes into the dish and stir. Canned sliced chillies are good to stir in, too. Put four defrosted chicken breasts on top of the rice. Grate a bunch of cheese (monterrey jack or cheddar) so that it covers everything. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
For some reason, the last time I made this, the rice was still a little crunchy. I think it may depend on the brand of rice or the type of dish used. Cook the rice maybe halfway in the beginning just to be safe.

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#137 of 140 Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 PM

The Great Unnamed Cabbage Recipe

cabbage, shredded (I use 1/2 med. sized cabbage for 2)
noodles
butter
cottage cheese (room temperature)
caraway seeds

Braise cabbage 10 in butter with about 1 T of caraway seeds. There's not much need to stir until the end. To assemble, place cabbage on cottage cheese on noodles. (or whatever order you like). This is super yummy; even cabbage phobic DH asks for it.
#138 of 140 Old 09-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Bump!
#139 of 140 Old 10-22-2007, 09:57 PM

anymore yummy dishes to share??

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#140 of 140 Old 10-23-2007, 12:13 AM

I can't wait to try some of the recipes from this thread (I'm still working through the slow cooker thread, so all my cooking nights are already committed this week!)

But here's a favorite around here:

Bean Enchiladas
2 cans black beans
1 med. onion, chopped
1-2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground chili powder
1/8 tsp cayenne (or adjust for hotness)
1 can diced tomatoes (or 2-3 fresh, chopped)
8 burrito-size tortillas
1 12 oz jar green salsa (I use Trader Joe's)
1 stick Montery Jack cheese (maybe 8 oz?), grated

Saute chopped onion and garlic in oil. When onion is translucent, add spices, salt and pepper. Add drained, rinsed beans, cook over med for 5 min. Add tomatoes (with liquid); cook until tomatoes start to lose their shape. In a 9 x 13 baking pan, roll a large spoonful or two--I use a small ladle--of the bean mixture in each tortilla along with a sprinkle of grated cheese. Spoon the jar of salsa over the filled, rolled tortillas, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the pan. Bake at 350 for 30 min, or until cheese begins to brown.

We love this with guacamole:
2 avocados
1/3 c finely chopped red onion
1 clove minced garlic
juice of 1 lime
1/2 c loosely packed chopped cilantro
salt

Mash avocadoes with fork, add onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro and stir. Season with salt to taste.

The nice thing about the enchilada recipe is that you can prepare it ahead of time and stick it in the fridge for a couple of days, and then just bake it (makes a good give-away dish of prepared food). The spice amounts are estimates, though--I never measure (but I think they're pretty close). We use this bean filling for burritos, quesadillas, nachos, and plain with rice as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page