healthy "ice cream"! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-07-2003, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just made the most amazing thing.

with my Champion juicer we made 'ice cream' from frozen fruit.

using it as i would to grind nuts into butter we made ice cream from frozen bananas, strawberries and peaches.

i had no idea something so healthy could taste so good.

my friend who told me about it said she puts all sorts of things into the 'ice cream' --nuts, veggies. flax oil.

seriously its heavenly.

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#2 of 12 Old 04-10-2003, 03:35 PM

yummy~We also do this in our vitamix. Sometimes I add chocolate almond milk with frozen bananas and some almond butter and udos oil. yummy and healthy milkshake!
#3 of 12 Old 04-10-2003, 04:27 PM

A food processor works pretty well too!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 12 Old 04-10-2003, 09:08 PM

We do this in the blender with blackberries and blueberries and bananas- everyone whose tasted it is surprised at how yummy it is. I always think the blender is going to die... but it keeps on chugging.

Ya know what else is good- blend watermelon (sans rind and seeds) in the blender until smooth and freeze in a popsicle mold. You won't believe how yummy it is.

-jeanie
Catholic Mama likes this.
#5 of 12 Old 04-10-2003, 11:23 PM

Here's my food processor ice cream recipe - it is so good you won't believe there's no sugar. It can be made without dairy too.

Strawberry-Banana Cream

1 cup frozen sliced bananas
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy)

In a food processor, pulse fruit until coarsely chopped. Add milk a little at a time through top of processor, and puree until creamy. Serve immediately, or freeze in individual-size containers for later.

Yield: 4 servings

Variation: Substitute frozen peaches or other berries for strawberries.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#6 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 11:53 AM

I grew up on champion banana ice cream, yum I mean seriously, don't we need a drool icon???

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#7 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 12:37 PM

Cathe I can't wait to try your recipe!! I already have frozen strawberries in the freezer, and a bunch of VERY ripe bananas on the kitchen table.

Do you freeze the bananas with the skins on or off?
#8 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 12:45 PM

I'm not cathe, but I freeze a lot of bananas and I have found it's much easier to do with the skins off than on. Getting frozen banana skin off is a PITA.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#9 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 02:23 PM

To freeze bananas, peel then and slice them. Lay them on a baking sheet and freeze a couple of hours. THen transfer to a freezer bag or container. They'll keep about six months. It is a great way to use up those bananas that are getting ripe.

Frozen bananas are also the secret to my smoothies made without sugar or ice cream. It makes the thickest creamiest smoothies!

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#10 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

for freezing bananas we just have a big glass bowl with a lid and put whole peeled bananas into it or break them up a bit.

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#11 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 06:11 PM

I recommend slicing (or breaking) the bananas into smaller pieces so they will blend easier and you don't end up with big chunks of banana in your smoothie. The big pieces are usually more of a problem in the blender than the food processor.

#12 of 12 Old 04-11-2003, 11:51 PM

Cathe, I just tried your recipe using bananas and blueberries, and it was sooooo good! I'd done the frozen banana ice cream thing before, but using a little milk and vanilla, plus the blueberries, really made it creamy and delicious. I had a hard time not eating the whole batch!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page