Coating on shredded cheese - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard in the past that the anti-caking agent on shredded cheese is not good for you, but I can't find the information about it. Has anyone else heard this, and do you know where I can find info on it? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM

I've never heard of that. I'm interested, too.

*bump*

Wendy - mom to dd1(11), dd2(7), dd3(3)
Old 10-02-2006, 10:02 PM

don't they use cellulose? i think cellulose is derived from vegetables...? but i don't like buying shredded cheese because they almost always have natamycin *sp?* in them and it says it's a mold inhibitor...i dunno anything about it and it kinda freaks me out, sounds chemical-ish.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

Old 10-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Cellulose and potato starch are typically used. Cellulose is a carbohydrate polymer (meaning it consists of lots of glucose molecules linked together) derived from plants. It's used for structure in green plants and it not digestible by humans so it acts as a fiber. Potato starch is also a carbhydrate polymer which is basically just a component of potato flour. The only real difference between cellulose and starch is how the glucose molecules (naturally) link together. That link is actually what makes starch digestible and cellulose non-digestible. I would consider both natural since they do not contain any type of chemicals and are derived from plant sources.

Natamycin is considered natural but I guess that's up to the individual: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natamycin

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

User Tag List