?? about bread and need a recipe...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-09-2003, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if making 2 loaves of bread was too much for our family We normally have to throw part of a loaf away. Our 2 loaves of bread are almost gone! I asked dh why he was eating so much bread and he said, "Cause this is the good bread" I LOVE that he said that.

So, fast acting yeat in the pakets is SO expensive it isn't cost effective. Is regular yeast fast acting? I can't find a recipe that doesn't ask for the packets. Do any of you have a good recipe? I tried doing a search but I can't find it........

Thanks!

I'm going to Sams Club today and see what they have I need in bulk....wish me luck!

Single Mom to 2 amazing little men. T(7) and B(5)
#2 of 4 Old 04-10-2003, 10:16 AM

Health food stores sell active dry yeast in bulk- it is kept refrigerated and lasts forever if kept in the fridge. And it is way cheaper.

Not sure about Sams- good luck.

-jeanie
#3 of 4 Old 04-10-2003, 10:51 AM

You do not need to use instant yeast. The only difference between using instant yeast vs. active dry yeast (regular yeast) is that you need to proof active dry yeast, ie dissolved in warm water (not hot) with some sweetener for 5-10 minutes to "prove" it is alive before you add it to the flour.

1 packet = 1 tbsp of yeast - by all means buy bulk!

One invaluable tool for making bread is a $10 digital instant read thermometer. This enables you to measure the temperature of the water for proofing (110-115 degrees max) and also to measure the temperature of the bread to determine doneness. All bread is fully baked at 190 degrees, which is the best measure of doneness (as the whole "thump on the bottom and it sounds hollow" thing is way too random).

I found this page which is helpful in walking you through and explaining the steps of breadbaking. There are tons of websites with breadmaking advice, just do a google search for breadmaking. This was just one of the first ones that popped up.

Also remember that for the healthy living thing you're interested in you really need to bake whole wheat breads. White bread is not healthy; it is just like eating straight sugar for the effects it has in your body. White bread, white rice, potatoes => recipe for overweight and diabetes later in life. But there are a lot of great recipes for tasty multigrain breads, do a google search and do some experimenting to see what you like!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#4 of 4 Old 04-10-2003, 09:09 PM

I buy the yeast in corn starch in the fridge section and it is 82 cents for 3 loaves worth of bread (and I make really big loaves on a bread stone). The recipe we like is this:

1 pack worth of yeast (1/3 of the cube if you get the kind I do)
dissolved in 3/4 c water
1c warm milk
1/3 c molassas
2 tsp of salt
5ish cups of whole wheat flour
(optional - 1/3 c flax seed bran)

I bake it at 375 on a bread stone. Even with all organic ingredients, except the yeast, I speand less than 2$ per loaf, which is much less than I would have to pay to buy a loaf like it at a store. Yes, it is more than buying "bread", but it isn't just any old bread

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page