starting the dd out veggie! help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-10-2003, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my dh and i are both veggie (we rarely eat fish) and neither of us does milk except eggs to cook with. our dd is 9 months and still bf, and i've started her on solids slowly.. problem is, she really likes yogurt and cottage cheese-- some fruts, avacado and thats about it so far. i want to try and eliminate milk from her diet-- i think it may be causing some congestion/ear infections... but i'm slowly becomming stumped to try and find "creative" meals. the other problem? she's got a fabulous *gag* reflex- so that narrows down what she'll eat. the reflex actually wouldn't allow her to even eat cottage cheese until about 8mo.
wondering if anyone has reccomendations for meal food...what you did, how often (like should she be doing 3 meals a day?!) and alternatives to milk (is soy okay for babies?? someone told me it has lots of estrogen in it...)
i'm stumped!
#2 of 3 Old 04-10-2003, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She doesn't need to drink milk (soy or dairy) especially since you are still nursing. For meals, how about rice, oatmeal, millet, quinoa, lentils are one of the most easily digested legumes and a good source of iron as well as being filling.

How about tofu and noodles, lentils and brown rice, oatmeal and applesauce, you can also feed her tempeh and fish. cut up Pancakes, waffles and french toast (make them with Ener-G egg replacer or egg yolks only if you haven't introduced whole eggs yet) make good finger food. You don't need to put anything on them. She can also eat most vegetables - steam carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, etc. and give as finger food or mash and feed them to her.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#3 of 3 Old 04-13-2003, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are breastfeeding, there's really no need to rush into solid foods. My dd didn't eat solids food proper till after her first birthday! Any foods before the first birthday is really more for texture, variation, getting used to the idea of eating, rather than being a very serious source of nutrition. So do not fret if your baby does not eat a lot of anything.
For veggies, I used to steam sweet potatoes, or zucchini, or sweet peas, then puree them, and freeze in ice-cubes. Then I mix with some rice cereal and breastmilk, and she eats some. You can add some cinnamon to the zucchini. Broccoli can be treated the same way too, same for potatoes and carrots.
Or, just steam them until they are real soft (so they can be broken just with the gums), and serve as finger food.
Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page