My baby is on a hunger strike! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The problem is this..

My 5 month dd refuses her bottle, and baby cereal. She makes smaking sounds, so oviously she's hungry, but crys as soon as the bottle goes into her mouth.

Is she hurting? Could she be teething? Does a teething child refuse to eat because their gums are tender?

Is it possible that her tongue is hurting? her tongue has white milk deposits, does this affect her?

She's getting skinner each day. I'm very afraid.

Is this normal? Please let me know. If this is not normal, then I want to bring her to the hospital before she suffers from malnutrition.

thanks.
#2 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 08:13 AM

It sounds like you are very concerned about your child. Why not make an appointment with her pediatrician? At the very least, I'd worry about dehydration if your child is not nursing or taking a bottle. I can't say if this is "normal" or not, as I've never had a similar problem, and I'd also say that your worry is enough to justify a call to the doctor's office.
#3 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I give her plenty of water. ( constantly) so i dont think she dehydrated. she still takes formula if i drop it in her mouth. At night while she's sleeping, she'll still takes her bottle. thank goodness.
#4 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 AM

Well, it's my understanding that babies don't need water, just breastmilk or formula. If she is nursing/taking a bottle frequently enough, she shouldn't need any supplementary water. Milk (formula) will provide liquid as well as nutrients and calories. Perhaps your little one isn't hungry because you are filling her up with water, which isn't providing any nourishment?

Again, if you are concerned about your child, and if she is losing weight, I encourage you to see your pediatrician. Best wishes.
#5 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 01:42 PM

What are you referring to as "white milk deposits" on her tongue? Are you talking about a white coating on her tongue? If so, that sounds like oral thrush and there are things you can do to treat it. I don't know if oral thrush is painful or not, but it definitely indicates digestive problems and could certainly be a reason why your DD is not wanting to suck. Baby cereal is really unhealthy for babies, also--their digestive systems are not designed to handle grains until at least one year of age.

I would definitely substitute formula for all of the water you are dropping in her mouth--at least that way she will get some nutrition. Have you tried spoon-feeding her liquids? I have heard of babies going on hunger strikes who will not take a bottle but will take liquids off a spoon.

How long has this been going on? If it's been more than a day or two you definitely need to see a doctor. Babies cannot go very long at all without adequate nutrition before getting sick.
#6 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietsabien View Post
I give her plenty of water. ( constantly) so i dont think she dehydrated. she still takes formula if i drop it in her mouth. At night while she's sleeping, she'll still takes her bottle. thank goodness.
a 5 m/o does not need water. i would stop the water. the white coating sounds like it could be thrush which is probably pretty painfull for her.
#7 of 9 Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietsabien View Post
Is she taking water by bottle? I'd just forget the water and give her formula (since it sounds like you don't nurse her?).

I agree with the others that the "white milk deposts" on her tongue could be thrush which can be painful.
#8 of 9 Old 10-13-2006, 01:35 AM

I've had thrush as an adult. It is painful. I lost some weight when I had it because everything I ate hurt my mouth.

I agree with the other posters: a 5 month old does not need water. Keep trying with the formula, spoon it if you have to. She doesn't need the cereal.

If you are worried about her, you have nothing to lose by taking her to the doctor.

I hope you get it figured out soon, hunger strikes are so stressful!
#9 of 9 Old 10-13-2006, 01:40 AM

Are you nursing? This sounds like the sound my DD makes when she wants to nurse during the night.

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page