how often do you hear "my dc LOVES meat" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
okay, this phrase has been bothering me lately. I hear it so often and always WANT (but don't--- because I know that most meat-eaters will not GET that it's about more than the taste of meat and their kids liking it for that reason!!) to respond with something like "... they LOVE eating dead animals? Really? Do they know how it died, what it looked like while it was dying, etc etc etc..." I doubt the majority of kids who are numbed into eating meat (not told the truth about it) would make the same decision to eat it if they could understand the "whats and wheres" of meat.

just venting... but really... is there a child out there that REALLY LOVES "MEAT"? okay, going to take this statement back a bit... as my own sister eats meat readily and we grew up on in same small cattle farm family... she hunted w/ my father, etc. Of course, that said... she eats meat. But only chicken or burgers or nuggets (something w/o veins and that doesn't resemble meat...).

Mostly, I guess the point of this post/rant is that kids are not told what meat is. How it's made, etc. because of the parents other agendas. Because it's WAY easier to learn to NOT feel for the food in that way. It's a learned behavior to "not think about it" (as many meat eaters will tell me when I ask HOW they can eat it if the DO understand it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do you really want people to answer this?

ETA: I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but this showed up in my new posts and I don't get the point. Do you really want input from "carni's" or do you just want to a place to put people down?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-12-2006, 02:39 PM

honestly?
my son loves meat. but, then, he also loves cat puke. he's eaten both with gusto.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
honestly?
my son loves meat. but, then, he also loves cat puke. he's eaten both with gusto.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM

i assume your posting this from my post about the elk since you posted this not even 3 minutes after you replied to my post.

in a nutshell, yes my 3 y/o loves meat. why not? he doesnt haave to have the same likes and dislikes as me. he gets 3 vegetable/grain dishes and 1 meat dish at dinners and he always eats the meat first because he loves it (his words).
Old 10-12-2006, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
what can i say? apparently the boy ain't picky.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchbaby View Post
what can i say? apparently the boy ain't picky.
My daughter ate dog poop once, so I'm definitely laughing with you and not at you. :

Old 10-12-2006, 02:49 PM

Quote:
My daughter ate dog poop once, so I'm definitely laughing with you and not at you. :
oh, i know.
the only reason my kids haven't eaten cat poop is because the litterbox is gated off. otherwise, i presume m would find it to be a FINE buffet!
Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Well, I can't say that my children love meat.

Probably because I've never fed them any meat.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:27 PM

My older dd could take it or leave it (and often she leaves it!) My 16 month old does seem to love it though, she will eat the meat first when given different types of food
Old 10-12-2006, 04:20 PM

Sure. I've known kids who grew up on farms, participated in killing the animals themselves, and still love meat. It's pretty natural, considering that humans are biologically omnivores. Independent of how you feel about eating animals, it's hard to deny that there are people who love meat even when they know exactly where it comes from.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:53 PM

Children, especially small children, don't really connect the product with the source. Why would they? There's not much about a nugget to suggest it came from a chicken...I mean what part of the chicken is a nugget? (Don't answer that...I don't really want to know.) What about a hamburger would suggest a cow? What about a hot dog suggests, uh...what are hot dogs...pig snouts and misc parts?

I've heard of lot's of children when they finally do connect the dots deciding on their own that they don't want to eat meat.

I think that's a separarate issue from how it tastes and that's I think what people are talking about when they say their child loves meat.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:08 PM

I'm a vegetarian (since the age of 12) but decided that it was my daughter's choice at a later date whether or not to eat meat, once she knew where it came from and had an appreciation for all that means.

And she loves meat.

And you know what, it was the first solid food she actually took a liking to (at 14 months or so).

What can I say? I happen to be a vegetarian because I personally am uncomfortable with the idea of where meat comes from (I couldn't kill an animal, myself), not for health reasons or because I think it is, in all cases, "wrong" to eat meat, otherwise I wouldn't have fed it to her...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:26 PM

I have two meat eaters and two Veggies. They are random. My meat eaters are my 9yods and my 4yodd. My Veggies are my 11yodd (her choice based on reading about vegetarianism) and my 6yodd who has never liked the taste of it.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:31 PM

you know, I eat meat and my son hates meat! LOL. I never hear "my dc loves meat" either. I think it's just something people say to vegetarians....ok, I do know kids who like meat, but it's not something people go around talking about, kwim?

as a sorta connected thing, my ds who hates all meat says something "tastes like chicken" when he thinks it's gross! It's so funny to me because a lot of people use that phrase to describe things they like.

Genie, mama to T (4/02), I (10/04) and T (7/09)

Old 10-12-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you really want people to answer this?

ETA: I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but this showed up in my new posts and I don't get the point. Do you really want input from "carni's" or do you just want to a place to put people down?
posted in vegetarian/vegan... hoping for some other vegies to respond. No, I really don't need to hear from carni's.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:39 PM

Dh and I have been vegetarian for about 16 years and about a year ago decided to drop the label and give ourselves the freedom to eat whatever we want. It took about a year, but recently we had a fish dinner for the first time. Dh and I thought it was OK, would eat again under the right circumstances but we don't crave it or care if we eat it again, but my almost 3 yo dd (who had never had any sort of meat before) was totally about it. A greedy little piglet for it, ate all of her small portion and then begged for more from us.

I dunno. Some kids love the taste of meat, just like some people do. The politics/ethics behind it is something else entirely, imo, and personally I wouldn't expect my child to deal with that at 3yo. the ethics of it are my responsibility, not hers.

flowersforyou.gif

Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobers View Post
Children, especially small children, don't really connect the product with the source. Why would they? There's not much about a nugget to suggest it came from a chicken...I mean what part of the chicken is a nugget? (Don't answer that...I don't really want to know.) What about a hamburger would suggest a cow? What about a hot dog suggests, uh...what are hot dogs...pig snouts and misc parts?

I've heard of lot's of children when they finally do connect the dots deciding on their own that they don't want to eat meat.

I think that's a separarate issue from how it tastes and that's I think what people are talking about when they say their child loves meat.
My kids know exactly where the meant comes from. They are with us when we go hunt it. Or if we buy grass fed beef than they know its cow.

As for chicken nuggets, those are IMO processed garbage and the thought of them makes me want to :Puke

I grew up helping butcher meat, chicken, cow, goat, deer, bear. I thoroughly love the taste of meat.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:49 AM

eda - i'm a vegan, i'm here to help!

i'm of the opinion that if kids really knew where meat came from then most of them wouldn't like it. there are, i'm sure, some who like it anyway but i try not to think about that because honestly, it makes me sad.

also, i think that a lot of parents prolly sugarcoat the truth when they tell their kids about where meat comes from. i mean . . . are they told that most animals live horrid, cramped confined lives and are painfully and inefficiently slaughtered? noooo . . . kids are prolly told the animals live happily in the sunshine on some happy farm and when they die then people eat them.

this is actually a sort of sensitive subject for me because i was the one who told my 9 year old dss where what he eats comes from - he had no idea burgers were cows or anything.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
Old 10-13-2006, 10:58 AM

My 16 year old loves burgers - so yes I guess he does love meat. It would be his first choice for a meal. He knows where it comes from, he knows why I'm veg and he still loves it. I don't hold it against him.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty View Post
My 16 year old loves burgers - so yes I guess he does love meat. It would be his first choice for a meal. He knows where it comes from, he knows why I'm veg and he still loves it. I don't hold it against him.
16 is old enough to know and understand though, so i think that's a separate issue (it is for me anyway). he knows, he gets it, he can research himself if he cares. i don't hold it against my hubby that he eats meat either.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
Old 10-13-2006, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
My sister has said that her son loves meat. There are no vegetarians in that family. Her son is 18 months old.

We're sort of "meat lite" in our household. DH has no intention of giving it up, so when we go out, he often orders meat (and usually beef *sigh*). I avoid beef/pork but sometimes eat poultry or fish. DS (21 mos) will sometimes eat chicken or fish but I would hardly say that he loves it. He often passes it up and probably wouldn't care if we never ate it again.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

Old 10-13-2006, 04:17 PM

First of all, Why are people even bothering to post in the veg board if they arent vegetarian or vegan?
Second of all, I agree with the original poster. Dont you think that children should know what they are eating? I think they should know they are eating a dead animal and exactly which species. Otherwise the animal is just a thing, or just food on the plate. They are living things!

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
First of all, Why are people even bothering to post in the veg board if they arent vegetarian or vegan?
Well, speaking for myself...I saw a thread that interested me, and I contributed. Is there a problem with that? It's not like I'm promoting an omnivorous lifestyle. I have been on-again off-again vegetarian for a while, and the subject interests me.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

Old 10-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Second of all, I agree with the original poster. Dont you think that children should know what they are eating? I think they should know they are eating a dead animal and exactly which species. Otherwise the animal is just a thing, or just food on the plate. They are living things!
Well my dd is 2 years old and has a vague idea of where meat comes from. Cows become steak. Chickens become chicken. I'm sure she will ask more about it, the older she gets.

When I really thought about where meat came from, and thought about the fact that I personally could not kill an animal, I stopped eating meat (18 years ago). Before I had the intellectual capacity to think an argument through like that, I just thought it was "normal".

Now I was raised in a household by parents who didn't like vegetables, and had difficulties preparing veggie meals (they didn't mind, but didn't know how to go about it!). The world is a different place now, and dd is being raised in a house where all of the vegetarian "staples" are served on a regular basis, so we'll see what happens.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe because we're interested in vegetarianism and veganism, even if we aren't ready to make that leap yet? People post on the circ board who don't have boys. Ladies who are TTC post in the pregnancy forums. I don't think it's a problem if things are kept respectful. As long as people realize it IS the veg board, and don't post things like "Well, I think meat is fine-and-dandy!"

I read this board because I eat very little meat and CONTINUALLY get sick (ETA: I get sick when I don't eat meat, and alas, am fine when I do. Nobody is more saddened by this than my Buddhist self, so please do not tell me this is all in my head). I try to get tips from veg*ns on how to keep my iron and nutrients up without meat. I'm interested in vegetarianiasm--I was a vegetarian and vegan chef.

Honestly, I don't see myself going totally veg, for various reasons. But I think its important to know where your food comes from, and to let your little ones know, and let the chips fall where they may. Eight kids out of ten will go veg if they hear the truth about factory farming. My dd and I decided a year ago that if we were going to eat meat we'd do so *mindfully*, which meant that we had a responsibility to learn how meat got to our table. Needless to say, that experiment ended in our swearing off all conventional meat, and most "organic" meat as well. We would still eat some very, very small-farmed meat, occasionally.

So, while we're "non-veg," we read (and rarely, post) here, because we're at the very least veg "sympathizers." I'd never post anything I thought offensive to veg*ns. When a thread came up about eating non-conventional meat, I suggested it be moved off this board because it seemed rude to have a meat-eating thread here. But am I not to post at all, unless I'm absolutely veg*n? Where is the line?
Old 10-13-2006, 04:42 PM

One thing that is important to remember is that not all veg*ns are that way for ethical reasons, so even among only veg*ns you might hear alot of the same opinions (that you clearly do not care for).

I don't personally believe that a child, esp a small child, needs to know where meat comes from to eat it. I think there is a such thing as TMI here. I don't tell my child the basics of factory farming when she asks for a slice of cheese just like I don't tell her of the horrors of sweatshop child labor when she asks for certain toys and I don't tell her of all the people going homeless and hungry because of jobs being shipped overseas when she wants something that isn't made in the USA. Worrying about that stuff is MY job. I make the choices that reflect our ethics as best I can, and I allow her to enjoy her ignorance until she's ready for the information.

(Besides, not all meat comes from cruel, inhumane factory farms, anyway, so it's very possible these kids who love meat don't need to hear about factory farms, period.)

flowersforyou.gif

Old 10-13-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Here on Mothering, everyone is welcome to visit any board they wish. Some people, like myself, may be seeking vegen or vegetarian recipes. There are only a few forums here that are "support only"--FYT and Spirituality come to mind--but other than that, if you ask a question in any forum, you can expect an answer from a wide range of people. No one here may tell people they can or can post in a forum, as long as people are posting within the confines of the UA.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:47 AM

:

Joyful mama of 3.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:09 PM

User Tag List