What about Organic Food *and* Junk Food in my diet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-14-2003, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I'm eating cheetos and frosted donettes should I bother eating organic/healthy?

Yes, I should give these up. Yes, I will try to cut down or stop. BUT, if I don't/can't am I negating any effects of eating healthy otherwise? We buy lots of organic produce and other products, but we also eat cheetos and candy and mmm... frosted donettes (of which i ate a whole box myself in the last 2 days )

what do you think? is it an all or nothing deal? am i wasting my $ on organic when i'm just killing the benefits w/msg and the like?

WOHM married to SAHD, living the dream w/our: 3 girls (14,12,10) and 3 boys (7,5,3) and tie-breaker due Jan 2014

#2 of 4 Old 04-14-2003, 03:16 AM

You are voting with your $$$ that good food is grown without killing the environment. So every time you buy organic, you are keeping $$$ away from the polluters.

No one is perfect - don't beat yourself up about those donuts.
#3 of 4 Old 04-14-2003, 09:22 AM

is this a serious question? Every little bit less pesticides and chemicals you eat is better for you. Even organic junk food (which exists) even though not ntritionally good for you, is still better than the nonorganic equivalent. Healthy, organic food is still ideal...but good nutrition and organic are not the same thing...organic critics always use that argument...it's not "more nutritious" - sure, but it's not full of chemicals, either! Unless you approach eating from a "spiritually pure" perspective, I can't see how bad food once in a while is a big deal.

Less chemicals are still better than a lot!
#4 of 4 Old 04-14-2003, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I think a diet that includes both yummily prepared organic vegetables and fruit and a little junk food (with a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude toward ingredients) now and then sounds close to perfect. You can't erase nutrients by also eating some things whose only virtue is taste (or nostalgia! Frosted donettes? : )

Besides, your enjoyment of what you eat is an important element of what makes it good for you. That is one of the major reasons why I spend for organic produce. I know it's better not to have pesticides in my body and that if I buy locally grown organic I'm supporting a lot of other things I value. But I also think organic carrots and tomatoes and potatoes and apples and onions and garlic taste noticeably better.

Divorced mom of one awesome boy born 2-3-2003.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page